EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

Started May 25, 2013 | Discussions
One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

I charged one of the battery from my D7K to use o my V1. It charged ok (overnight chargin). As soon as I put it on my V1 and turned it on, I got the message:

"This battery has reached the end of its working life and can no longer be used."

I also got the same message when I put it on my D7K

This battery was only charged no more than 15X since it's my back up battery. This is the first time I saw this kind of message on any battery I have ever used on a digital camera and I have several (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.). I have a Panasonic LX3 that's older than my D7K and never had this message. When the battery is dying, it just won't charge or will hold charge. This to me indicates that the battery is going bad.

Any ideas? Can I do something with battery so I can re-use it? I wouldn't mind buying another battery but this type is freaking expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Apteryx6 Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

I charged one of the battery from my D7K to use o my V1. It charged ok (overnight chargin). As soon as I put it on my V1 and turned it on, I got the message:

"This battery has reached the end of its working life and can no longer be used."

I also got the same message when I put it on my D7K

This battery was only charged no more than 15X since it's my back up battery. This is the first time I saw this kind of message on any battery I have ever used on a digital camera and I have several (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.). I have a Panasonic LX3 that's older than my D7K and never had this message. When the battery is dying, it just won't charge or will hold charge. This to me indicates that the battery is going bad.

Any ideas? Can I do something with battery so I can re-use it? I wouldn't mind buying another battery but this type is freaking expensive!!!!!!!!!!

There was apparently a bad batch of EN-L15's made last year (serial no. starting 2012, maybe especially with months 04-06) -  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50669474

Yours seems worse than any reported in that thread, and probably you can return it if it is within its warranty period. The battery which I reported in that thread in (I think) January this year was prematurely aged to Age 1 has not got any worse since.

-- hide signature --

Apteryx

camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,609
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

The battery that came with my V1 last December is showing it is nearing end of life. I wonder how does one send a battery back to Nikon for replacement??

 camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +13 more
fotoRich Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

The battery that came with my V1 a month ago is already on "Age 1". And I get nothing like the 500+ shots / charge that some report for good batteries (with EVF off). But my battery doesn't have the serial number of the supposed one bad batch. Seems this problem is much more widespread. From what I've read, I'll be trying a Wasabi battery next for quality and value.

Richard

 fotoRich's gear list:fotoRich's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

I charged one of the battery from my D7K to use o my V1. It charged ok (overnight chargin). As soon as I put it on my V1 and turned it on, I got the message:

"This battery has reached the end of its working life and can no longer be used."

I also got the same message when I put it on my D7K

This battery was only charged no more than 15X since it's my back up battery. This is the first time I saw this kind of message on any battery I have ever used on a digital camera and I have several (Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.). I have a Panasonic LX3 that's older than my D7K and never had this message. When the battery is dying, it just won't charge or will hold charge. This to me indicates that the battery is going bad.

Any ideas? Can I do something with battery so I can re-use it? I wouldn't mind buying another battery but this type is freaking expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.  Also, search/google for "EN-EL15 RECALL", because there was a batch (lots E and F) that can be returned and exchanged.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
D300SandV1shooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

Daisy AU wrote:

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.

If this is correct, what a nerve: so you don't own, but merely 'rent' the EN-EL15 battery for 4 years!?

Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

D300SandV1shooter wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.

If this is correct, what a nerve: so you don't own, but merely 'rent' the EN-EL15 battery for 4 years!?

In the Setup Menu of the D7000, submenu "Battery Info" it has an indicator named "Battery Age: 0 - 4"  It can't be 0-4 months, hence I'm guessing it's 0 - 4 years.  Some users indicate that they have had their battery for 3 1/2 years and the indicator reads "3".  It might be that they last somewhere between 4-5 years?

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
D300SandV1shooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

Daisy AU wrote:

In the Setup Menu of the D7000, submenu "Battery Info" it has an indicator named "Battery Age: 0 - 4"  It can't be 0-4 months, hence I'm guessing it's 0 - 4 years.  Some users indicate that they have had their battery for 3 1/2 years and the indicator reads "3".  It might be that they last somewhere between 4-5 years?

I don't think that's either months or years, but a notional unit. Anyway, I have an EN-EL3 from 2004 which still works, and I'm expecting my EN-EL15 to last at least as long.

Has anyone tried a Maxsima EN-EL15 copy in their N1? - it's only GBP15.95 at Amazon.

Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

D300SandV1shooter wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

In the Setup Menu of the D7000, submenu "Battery Info" it has an indicator named "Battery Age: 0 - 4"  It can't be 0-4 months, hence I'm guessing it's 0 - 4 years.  Some users indicate that they have had their battery for 3 1/2 years and the indicator reads "3".  It might be that they last somewhere between 4-5 years?

I don't think that's either months or years, but a notional unit. Anyway, I have an EN-EL3 from 2004 which still works, and I'm expecting my EN-EL15 to last at least as long.

Has anyone tried a Maxsima EN-EL15 copy in their N1? - it's only GBP15.95 at Amazon.

I hope you are right, because they are quite expensive.  No, haven't used any copies.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
@ Daisy

I installed it on my D7K and it's showing "4" in red. I guess that means that the battery is 4 years old. From what the information is telling me is that I'm SOL since that's the limit and can't use the battery even if I only charge it <20X?

SCREW Nikon if that's the case!!

THANK YOU for your response. Sorry if I'm venting right now. I just did no expect his situation from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
@ D300SandV1shooter

D300SandV1shooter wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.

YES, my Nikon D7K shows it as a 4 year old battery. BUT still, we consumer should not be subjected to this and your are right, if this the case, us owners of Nikon V1 and D7K are just "RENTING" the EN-EL15....THIS SUCKS!!!

If this is correct, what a nerve: so you don't own, but merely 'rent' the EN-EL15 battery for 4 years!?

-- hide signature --

-- RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this? Recall link.

Here's the link for the recall. My battery is "SAFE according to the recall.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52326/~/notice-to-users-of-the-en-el15-rechargeable-li-ion-battery---update-may-2013

Per the recall,

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is E or F then the battery needs to be replaced as it may be affected by this issue. Contact Nikon Customer Support for further details regarding battery replacement.

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is A, B, C, D, G or any subsequent letter in the alphabet then the battery is safe to use and no further action is needed.

My battery SN 20101105BD0139. From this and from what the Battery Info is showing me, I'm S--T OUT LUCK on an expensive battery from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: @ Daisy

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

I installed it on my D7K and it's showing "4" in red. I guess that means that the battery is 4 years old. From what the information is telling me is that I'm SOL since that's the limit and can't use the battery even if I only charge it <20X?

SCREW Nikon if that's the case!!

THANK YOU for your response. Sorry if I'm venting right now. I just did no expect his situation from Nikon.

I understand how frustrating it is.  I had realise this when I first go my D7000, so when it happens to me one day, I will know why it happened.  However, these batteries are quite expensive.  Google for some info in how to maybe circumvent this issue ... perhaps there is a way?

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this? Recall link.

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Here's the link for the recall. My battery is "SAFE according to the recall.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52326/~/notice-to-users-of-the-en-el15-rechargeable-li-ion-battery---update-may-2013

Per the recall,

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is E or F then the battery needs to be replaced as it may be affected by this issue. Contact Nikon Customer Support for further details regarding battery replacement.

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is A, B, C, D, G or any subsequent letter in the alphabet then the battery is safe to use and no further action is needed.

My battery SN 20101105BD0139. From this and from what the Battery Info is showing me, I'm S--T OUT LUCK on an expensive battery from Nikon.

But, you said you took the battery from your D7000 (or a spare) and inserted it into the V1.  How long have you had this particular battery?  Is is roughly 4 years old?  or is it fairly new?

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Re: @ Daisy

Thanks for your understanding..

I'm home for a couple of weeks R&R and will e leaving this Monday again for the Middle East. It so happens that we had some free time yesterday and we all went to Galveston with the whole family, and to my surprise, this is what happened to me when I swap my battery since the 1st once was getting too low. Luckily, I brought along my Pana LX7 to continue taking photos of the family.

Nikon customers should not be limited to the use of their products. I don't mind if the battery becomes dead or will no longer take charge after a few years or so many charges BUT to just not be able to use the product because they put an "end of life" on it is outrageous.

-- hide signature --

RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this? Recall link.

Daisy AU wrote:

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Here's the link for the recall. My battery is "SAFE according to the recall.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52326/~/notice-to-users-of-the-en-el15-rechargeable-li-ion-battery---update-may-2013

Per the recall,

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is E or F then the battery needs to be replaced as it may be affected by this issue. Contact Nikon Customer Support for further details regarding battery replacement.

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is A, B, C, D, G or any subsequent letter in the alphabet then the battery is safe to use and no further action is needed.

My battery SN 20101105BD0139. From this and from what the Battery Info is showing me, I'm S--T OUT LUCK on an expensive battery from Nikon.

But, you said you took the battery from your D7000 (or a spare) and inserted it into the V1.  How long have you had this particular battery?  Is is roughly 4 years old?  or is it fairly new?

I bought the D7K in 2010 together with the spare battery so it's not even 4 yrs old yet. I only use the spare as needed (no more than 10-15X) since I don't take that much photos when I'm on vacation. One was sufficient until yesterday with my V1.

BTW...I bought my V1 ealy last year at pretty much full price

-- hide signature --

-- RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
Daisy AU
Daisy AU Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this? Recall link.

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Here's the link for the recall. My battery is "SAFE according to the recall.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52326/~/notice-to-users-of-the-en-el15-rechargeable-li-ion-battery---update-may-2013

Per the recall,

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is E or F then the battery needs to be replaced as it may be affected by this issue. Contact Nikon Customer Support for further details regarding battery replacement.

- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is A, B, C, D, G or any subsequent letter in the alphabet then the battery is safe to use and no further action is needed.

My battery SN 20101105BD0139. From this and from what the Battery Info is showing me, I'm S--T OUT LUCK on an expensive battery from Nikon.

But, you said you took the battery from your D7000 (or a spare) and inserted it into the V1.  How long have you had this particular battery?  Is is roughly 4 years old?  or is it fairly new?

I bought the D7K in 2010 together with the spare battery so it's not even 4 yrs old yet. I only use the spare as needed (no more than 10-15X) since I don't take that much photos when I'm on vacation. One was sufficient until yesterday with my V1.

BTW...I bought my V1 ealy last year at pretty much full price

I wouldn't give up.  Contact the retailer where you bought the D7k and battery, explain it and see if you can manage to get a replacement.  They can't prove one way or the other, if the battery is faulty, hence your chance is 50/50.  I would try and try, after all, they cost quite a bit.

When the V1 was first released, I thought it was a great little camera, but I could not afford the price back then.  So, now that the price has dropped, I'm lucky I could buy it.

-- hide signature --
 Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 7,428
Re: EN-L15 Battery message on my V1, has anyone seen this?

;-)Daisy AU wrote:

D300SandV1shooter wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.

If this is correct, what a nerve: so you don't own, but merely 'rent' the EN-EL15 battery for 4 years!?

In the Setup Menu of the D7000, submenu "Battery Info" it has an indicator named "Battery Age: 0 - 4"  It can't be 0-4 months, hence I'm guessing it's 0 - 4 years.  Some users indicate that they have had their battery for 3 1/2 years and the indicator reads "3".  It might be that they last somewhere between 4-5 years?

The meter is not a literal age in months or years but a relative condition. I have D50 batteries that came with the camera that are still good at over 6 years old. Fortunately the D50 doesn't have a battery meter so I can't fret over the condition. The real bad news is that Nikon doesn't really warrant batteries at all unless they are subject to the recall.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

 Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +20 more
OP One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
@ Paul

Paul Pasco wrote:

;-)Daisy AU wrote:

D300SandV1shooter wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Have you checked (using the D7000 menu) that the battery is less than 4 years old?  I believe that is the limit regardless of how much use you have given it.

If this is correct, what a nerve: so you don't own, but merely 'rent' the EN-EL15 battery for 4 years!?

In the Setup Menu of the D7000, submenu "Battery Info" it has an indicator named "Battery Age: 0 - 4"  It can't be 0-4 months, hence I'm guessing it's 0 - 4 years.  Some users indicate that they have had their battery for 3 1/2 years and the indicator reads "3".  It might be that they last somewhere between 4-5 years?

The meter is not a literal age in months or years but a relative condition. I have D50 batteries that came with the camera that are still good at over 6 years old. Fortunately the D50 doesn't have a battery meter so I can't fret over the condition. The real bad news is that Nikon doesn't really warrant batteries at all unless they are subject to the recall.

Yes it is a bad news. If they will keep doing this I might not support their future products. It is ridiculous for a company to limit customers on a product.

What happens to batteries that's been siting on the shelves for a while then it will reach their End Of Life a few months/days before it expires then they're SOL too?

As I mentioned on a previous reply, I can deal with batteries that will not take anymore charge after a while (a few years), or anything that will stop functioning BUT for something that's rarely used, I or anyone should not be limited on its use specially for an expensive item.

-- hide signature --

-- RiK --

 One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads