about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
PeterPrism
PeterPrism Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
1

"The extending section is made from high-quality plastic" ?!?

source DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-55-200-3p5-4p8/2

Why this damned sort of "high-qualityPLASTIC, don't tell me for the WEIGHT; FUJI you betray my deep faith in your creed.

See the horrible fusion line under my orange written, only to think of touching it with the hands I'm already sick...

damn lightweight and cheap plastic, who invented to  you?

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Travelshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

The dashboards of 2.7 billion cars now have a brother.

 Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Canon PowerShot S95 +12 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Travelshooter wrote:

The dashboards of 2.7 billion cars now have a brother.

damn but fuji works for ford?

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,336
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

PeterPrism wrote:

"The extending section is made from high-quality plastic" ?!?

source DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-55-200-3p5-4p8/2

Why this damned sort of "high-qualityPLASTIC, don't tell me for the WEIGHT; FUJI you betray my deep faith in your creed.

See the horrible fusion line under my orange written, only to think of touching it with the hands I'm already sick...

damn lightweight and cheap plastic, who invented to  you?

Would you rather the outer barrel be plastic too so they match?

I actually wish they'd have designed the lens with an internal zoom mechanism. Oh well.

 ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +3 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Definitely! and I also expect a Xpro2 of beautiful red plastic.

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

I am convinced that these are missteps that Leica does not commit.

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

It is not very obvious but my fuji 18-55 zoom has the same thing on the underside of the barrel. It doesn't stand out but if you look for it in bright light it is there on the barrel, but not the ring. Same as the picture of the long zoom.

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Al Valentino wrote:

It is not very obvious but my fuji 18-55 zoom has the same thing on the underside of the barrel. It doesn't stand out but if you look for it in bright light it is there on the barrel, but not the ring. Same as the picture of the long zoom.

argh sacrilege! the 3 primes are "full metal jacket".

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Mark Carr Senior Member • Posts: 2,297
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Lots of lenses, particularly the barrels, are made of plastic today, makes them much lighter and easier to carry. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is made of plastic, you could almost call it flimsy, but its optically wonderful so you just ignore it. I doubt Fuji would put out a poor product, it will impress you once you have it in your hands and take a few snaps!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Mark

Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

PeterPrism wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

It is not very obvious but my fuji 18-55 zoom has the same thing on the underside of the barrel. It doesn't stand out but if you look for it in bright light it is there on the barrel, but not the ring. Same as the picture of the long zoom.

argh sacrilege!

actually, on close inspection it occurs 3x, every 120 degrees. At the bottom center and top/sides. So no line on top center making not obvious.

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
4

Plastic comes in a variety of qualities, but I'd expect Fuji to have chosen one for the internal barrel that will fare well if it's built well.  I don't know the design of the lens, but if the inner barrel is a component that moves with focusing, it may be plastic to keep the weight down for the AF motor - ie to keep the AF speed up.   Leica can use designs that don't have to consider weight and heavy damping because their focusing is MF.  They might just be a tad dearer too.....

Personally I'd still like to see a small modestly fast prime of around 90/2 or 100/2.8 in the XF range. Something a significant step up from the 55mm end of the zoom but still small and light in keeping with the mirror-less adavantage.

Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +10 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Mark Carr wrote:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Lots of lenses, particularly the barrels, are made of plastic today, makes them much lighter and easier to carry. The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is made of plastic, you could almost call it flimsy, but its optically wonderful so you just ignore it. I doubt Fuji would put out a poor product, it will impress you once you have it in your hands and take a few snaps!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Mark

Mark, Definitely going to be a great product but I am a HUGE fetish and that's why I bought a XPro1; Leica does not make these slips...

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Rod McD wrote:

Plastic comes in a variety of qualities, but I'd expect Fuji to have chosen one for the internal barrel that will fare well if it's built well.  I don't know the design of the lens, but if the inner barrel is a component that moves with focusing, it may be plastic to keep the weight down for the AF motor - ie to keep the AF speed up.   Leica can use designs that don't have to consider weight and heavy damping because their focusing is MF.  They might just be a tad dearer too.....

Personally I'd still like to see a small modestly fast prime of around 90/2 or 100/2.8 in the XF range. Something a significant step up from the 55mm end of the zoom but still small and light in keeping with the mirror-less adavantage.

Cheers, Rod

Ohhh this can be an intelligent response, the speed of focus may be an acceptable reason for a worshiper of objects as me.

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
umanemo Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
1

Aw, now you've gone and done it...LEICA will raise the price of all of it's lenses even more stratospherically now, because we are all realizing that most other lenses are not made entirely of metal as theirs are! Hummm, If I just had an extra $5,000 laying around.

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

cptrios Senior Member • Posts: 1,352
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Are there any extending-barrel zooms whose extending barrels aren't plastic? I know that the Canon 70-300mm L, for example, has a plastic extending barrel...but I definitely do not have a wide knowledge of such lenses.

PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

umanemo wrote:

Aw, now you've gone and done it...LEICA will raise the price of all of it's lenses even more stratospherically now, because we are all realizing that most other lenses are not made entirely of metal as theirs are! Hummm, If I just had an extra $5,000 laying around.

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

I made a crazy mistake!

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
1

umanemo wrote:

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

Actually, this is exactly what got my attention and there was no turning back. my saying is, 'the Leica I always wanted but a lot better'.  Better AF, ISO, affordable quality, well perhaps not in the barrel, but what the barrel holds does the trick.

i always felt the the feel of the barrel was nothing special but I mostly get annoyed at how the outside is a major dust magnet.

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now
1

cptrios wrote:

Are there any extending-barrel zooms whose extending barrels aren't plastic? I know that the Canon 70-300mm L, for example, has a plastic extending barrel...but I definitely do not have a wide knowledge of such lenses.

I'm really obsolete: the lenses in the 80's were all metal, including those from manufacturers such as Tamron, Tokina, Kiron etc. The fact is that the X system is designed (IMO) for people who seek the past in modern. And... in the past a plastic lens does not existed, it was simply a BLASPHEMY!

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
PeterPrism
PeterPrism OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,060
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

Al Valentino wrote:

umanemo wrote:

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

Actually, this is exactly what got my attention and there was no turning back. my saying is, 'the Leica I always wanted but a lot better'.  Better AF, ISO, affordable quality, well perhaps not in the barrel, but what the barrel holds does the trick.

i always felt the the feel of the barrel was nothing special but I mostly get annoyed at how the outside is a major dust magnet.

I agree with both. voted +1

 PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Al Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 4,744
Re: about new XF55/200: I've seen only now

PeterPrism wrote:

umanemo wrote:

Aw, now you've gone and done it...LEICA will raise the price of all of it's lenses even more stratospherically now, because we are all realizing that most other lenses are not made entirely of metal as theirs are! Hummm, If I just had an extra $5,000 laying around.

FUJI X; "Red Dot" quality for a lot less "M"oney!!!  That's exactly why we are all here.

I made a crazy mistake!

NO!!! Stop looking at the picture of the lens and look at the pictures from the camera. That will make you feel better. Remember, it weighs 2x more than the similar Sony, and also lets in twice the light, a stop faster. The Leica zoom is, oh, they do not have a long lens option at all.

 Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads