Why are DSLRs left home 90.2% of the time

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions
yonsarh Senior Member • Posts: 1,951
Re: Why are DSLRs left home 90.2% of the time

salla30 wrote:

Physics do not allow large sensors on small flat devices. Otherwise, they would be big fat devices and unsellable as phones. End of story.

Back 10-20 years ago, we couldn't imagine that APS-C sized compacts are actually came true. Likewise, Nikon CoolpixA, and Ricoh GR series, this means that technologies has been advanced and we'll going to see lot more.  We don't know what will happen to smart phones yet....

-- hide signature --

Ricoh customer since 2009

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326

brianj wrote:

yonsarh wrote:

Most cameras in these days are loosing concept of  digital photography.

Because of due to highly increasing supportive by the smart phone application

and m3/4 cameras are being sold in modern photography.  Infact, you can use your smartphone and just edit by photoshop there you go. Eventually you don't need a dslr to take photo in 21st century.  People are using taking photos by what kind of equipment they like, such as smartphone, compact digital, or dslr.  Because it's due to sensor that has camera body inside/we'lll going to see lot more price dropping for current DSLR in the future.  At that time probably within next 20~50 years or so, we'll actually going to able take photos of DSLR quality in smartphone.  There will be APS-C image sensored in the smart phone future.

The truth is ?  Just use any camera that fits your needs.

The apps as you call them are already inside the camera, I am using Icontrast for expanded DR, and have been experimenting with Nightscene mode which overlays three images for reduced noise and higher shutter speed for hand holding at night.

Here is an example taken with a P&S with a tiny 1/2.3 sensor.  This camera fits in a belt bag, so why would I need to lug around more than this?

Nightscene mode

That's okay for a still life shot, but images of dynamic scenes (e.g., street photography or kids) aren't going to allow taking 3 quick shots to combine like this. People who can't hold the camera steady also lose out on some of these kinds of shots if they're trying to hand hold. But I also have yet to see the kind of bokeh I like coming from a tiny sensor even with software based effects being applied. Maybe 5 years from now? Maybe 10 years from now? We'll see.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 53,201

Try taking the same shot from 60 feet away of a fast-moving subject like someone dancing and singing or playing a sport.
--
Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Poppycock

You are replying without any qualification or factual evidence.

The only real attempt at giving a larger sensor so far to a cell phone than the 4.54 x 3.42 standard used in iphone and samsung top devices is the Nokia 808 with a 10.67mm x 8mm sensor. The thickness of that device is noticeable (nearly 18mm).

Extrapolating up to APS-C you would need a phone with lens arrangement some 50mm thick i would estimate, to allow focusing on the APS-C plane of 24 x 16mm.

Lens physics simply won't allow a large sensor to be used without allow space for the image to focus on the sensor.

Simply because APS-C have been incorporated into small bodied cameras is not an argument to say that cellphones will become thus equiped. Cell phone front ends may be equiped into compact cameras with APS-C sensors, but they will still be cameras first and foremost, with the encumbent bulk and weight that goes with the necessary lens arrangement required.

You simply cannot argue away the physics problem. Miniaturisation can be done to the electronics side but the optics remain a constant.

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
OP brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

ljfinger wrote:

Try taking the same shot from 60 feet away of a fast-moving subject like someone dancing and singing or playing a sport.
--

The method I described would fail in this case, everything has limits and compromises and this is one of them.  I would need to use a standard single shot.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
ed2002 Regular Member • Posts: 254

ljfinger wrote:

--
Lee Jay

You can check the forums for these small sensor-ed cameras capturing birds in flight.  They seem able to do it quite well.

Panoramics - you can wave your iphone and get a 24mp one stiched together

Singing or dancing, it seems the mirrorless ilc do this best, as you are likely to want it to focus and do video

Definitely a place for DSLRs, but in 10 years, that will have shrunk.  Once advantage shallow depth of field/low light really is not better than mirrorless, unless you go Full frame.  Then we get into money discussions, and do you feel safe taking that $3K plus system on a trip?  For some its worth it, for others, it is not.

Continuous autofocus still better in pdaf on a mirror, but technology should take care of that.  How many shots will you get with your dslr with kit lens, versus a sony rx100 or a oly pl5 with the proper lens?  Just the range of a sx280 (25mm-500mm Focal length equivalent) in a pocket-able camera may get many shots a dslr user will miss.  10 years from now, i expect the bottom of the dslr market to die, as well as the cheap compacts.   High ends  compacts and mirrorless will replace them as well as phones.  There will still be a market for aps-c for sports, and ff for shallow depth of field and very low light.  The majority though are happy with the low light performance of a canon g15, and if they aren't there is a nex or olympus pen available.

Antioch Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

In less than ten years, a high resolution image a 4 x 6, will be held as a 500 megabyte data file, in about one thousand the present data storage space, in a smartphone or even a smartwatch. Some here have stated, that optics would not permit such a thing, yet today, we can see the image on the 5" Samsung smartphone prior to taking the shot, all one needs to do is save that as a file, in very high rez of course, in super micron data storage, which is possible in just a year or two.
Right now we have 2 gigabit fiber in Japan, and 1 Gigabit Fiber in Kansas City, and coming soon to Austin etc.

Regards

ed2002 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

You can check the forums for these small sensor-ed cameras capturing birds in flight.  They seem able to do it quite well.

No they don't.

Panoramics - you can wave your iphone and get a 24mp one stiched together

In good light, of a stationary subject, from a stationary platform.  This was taken from a rapidly moving and rotating platform, and is 180 degrees diagonally.

Singing or dancing, it seems the mirrorless ilc do this best, as you are likely to want it to focus and do video

I don't want it to do video, and focusing of moving subjects is a very weak point for mirrorless systems.

Definitely a place for DSLRs, but in 10 years, that will have shrunk.  Once advantage shallow depth of field/low light really is not better than mirrorless, unless you go Full frame.  Then we get into money discussions, and do you feel safe taking that $3K plus system on a trip?

I take an $8k full-frame system on my trips.

Continuous autofocus still better in pdaf on a mirror, but technology should take care of that.

I doubt it.

How many shots will you get with your dslr with kit lens, versus a sony rx100 or a oly pl5 with the proper lens?

Why the ridiculous apples-to-oranges comparison?

Just the range of a sx280 (25mm-500mm Focal length equivalent) in a pocket-able camera may get many shots a dslr user will miss.

I have an SX260.  Nice little camera.  It's certainly not capable of replacing a dSLR.  It's a good-light slow-subject camera only.

The majority though are happy with the low light performance of a canon g15, and if they aren't there is a nex or olympus pen available.

A G15 isn't good in low-light at all.  The pens can't focus on moving subjects, and the nex system is pretty thin.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more

You obviously are not one of the majority if you take a $8000 camera with you everywhere.  I mean why did you buy an sx, its got to suck at everything compared to that beast you carry.

Sure if you don't do video at all, and don't care about price, size, or weight, evil can't have any appeal.  I'm sure you don't like WYSIWYG street shooting either.

For you my friend, its DSLR.  I was commenting about most of the public that has a DSLR but doesn't carry it everywhere.  Most of these folks are now primarily viewing at 1920x1080 or smaller, and may even use a flash in low light.  I know sacreligious.  I definitely don't want to take the DSLRs out of the hands of those people that want them.  How is this 3x less than $200 compact cameras are dying.  Will you at least see that trend.

ed2002 wrote:

You obviously are not one of the majority if you take a $8000 camera with you everywhere

Not everywhere, just on trips where photography is pretty much the most important to me.

I mean why did you buy an sx, its got to suck at everything compared to that beast you carry.

So my wife would have something in her purse better than her Galaxy Note II.

Sure if you don't do video at all, and don't care about price, size, or weight, evil can't have any appeal.  I'm sure you don't like WYSIWYG street shooting either.

WYSIWYG only applies to JPEG shooting with no post processing.  I post process all of my shots.

And recent threads have pointed out that the definition of street shooting is so broad that it can include virtually any type of photography, including that not on streets, and with no people.  What I'd call "street shooting" is garbage to me.  I've never seen a good "street" shot according to my, more narrow definition.

For you my friend, its DSLR.  I was commenting about most of the public that has a DSLR but doesn't carry it everywhere.

I don't carry mine everywhere.  But, as I pointed out above, most of my shots are taken with one of them, and nearly all of my best shots are.  I still carry a pocket compact for those times when I don't have my dSLRs.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582
Re: A really odd conundrum

ljfinger wrote:

I agree...my dSLRs are left home 90% of the time.

But that's not the confusing part.

The really strange part is that they somehow take more than 80% of my shots.

And do you know what's even stranger than that?  They take more than 95% of the shots I print.

Hmmmm.....

Not confusing at all if you ask the relevant question - when you go out to take photos - what percentage of the time do you take your DSLR?

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +22 more
Re: A really odd conundrum

edispics wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

I agree...my dSLRs are left home 90% of the time.

But that's not the confusing part.

The really strange part is that they somehow take more than 80% of my shots.

And do you know what's even stranger than that?  They take more than 95% of the shots I print.

Hmmmm.....

Not confusing at all if you ask the relevant question - when you go out to take photos - what percentage of the time do you take your DSLR?

100%.

The compacts are for unexpected or unimportant situations.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Sure to each there own.  I like street photography, and video, you may think its all crap.

But that comment makes me comment on your panorama, and I'm sorry, but I thought it wasn't very good.  I know you were probably trying to demonstrate what you could do with your fancy rig, but these things are about comosition

For those with open minds look at some iphone and galaxy panoramas.  Here's one.  click and explore

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adam-metcalf/8470991811/lightbox/

DSLRs are definitely right for some, but these smaller camera's have some kicks.

ed2002 wrote:

But that comment makes me comment on your panorama, and I'm sorry, but I thought it wasn't very good.  I know you were probably trying to demonstrate what you could do with your fancy rig, but these things are about comosition

It's much better at a large size, and for its intended purpose of reminding me how it looked when I was there.

For those with open minds look at some iphone and galaxy panoramas.  Here's one.  click and explore

The first one is horrible because of that awful fake gold burned out area.

The second is just a flat bad picture because it was taken from too close, and has distractingly bad bokeh.

The third is bad because the sharpest thing in the image, and thus the location to which the eye is drawn, is the Harmons sign at the top of the image.

The fourth is pretty good, though the fact that the foreground is cutoff at the bottom is a problem.

The fifth is just a bad shot of a black bird against a gray sky.  Ugly.

The sixth is an image of a brick wall, literally.

Here's a panorama I took that I like (make sure you look at the original sizes of these):

Here's a shot I took of a black bird against the sky that I like:

And here's a 180° diagonal fisheye shot taken of moving subjects in low light that I like:

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,230

ljfinger wrote:

ed2002 wrote:

It's much better at a large size, and for its intended purpose of reminding me how it looked when I was there.

The first one is horrible because of that awful fake gold burned out area.

The second is just a flat bad picture because it was taken from too close, and has distractingly bad bokeh.

The third is bad because the sharpest thing in the image, and thus the location to which the eye is drawn, is the Harmons sign at the top of the image.

The fourth is pretty good, though the fact that the foreground is cutoff at the bottom is a problem.

The fifth is just a bad shot of a black bird against a gray sky.  Ugly.

The sixth is an image of a brick wall, literally.

Here's a panorama I took that I like (make sure you look at the original sizes of these):

Here's a shot I took of a black bird against the sky that I like:

And here's a 180° diagonal fisheye shot taken of moving subjects in low light that I like:

How did you not pick that only the first pano was an iPhone? The rest were all a 5d3.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more

Mjankor wrote:

How did you not pick that only the first pano was an iPhone? The rest were all a 5d3.

Bad images are bad images.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Martin.au

ljfinger wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

I just found it funny that you gave the appearance that you assumed all those pics were from a phone cam.

I suspect you didn't, but your reply made it look like you did.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more

Mjankor wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Mjankor wrote:

I just found it funny that you gave the appearance that you assumed all those pics were from a phone cam.

I suspect you didn't, but your reply made it look like you did.

Phone cameras will produce all in-focus image for virtually every shot that isn't a shot of a very tiny subject from right up close.  The comments about bokeh and the sharpest area in the shot wouldn't apply to images from tiny sensor phone cameras.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Martin.au

So you were just being off topic and rude then?

Mjankor wrote:

So you were just being off topic and rude then?

I didn't post that gallery.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads