**weekly wildlife 5/19-5/26**

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,608
Re: Some FIF & others

FIFs, huh!?  I think that you're the only other person I've seen post flying fish!

Love the young little blue heron too - just spotted and shot one of those myself yesterday - it's always so strange that they start out white, then become blue.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
zackiedawg
Re: I have Ants

The NEX should do decent closeups, but hard to beat a good solid midrange macro lens like the Tammy 90.  Nice shots - especially that first one...gives me the wiggles a little when I see lots of ants up close - makes me think of them crawling on me...but it's a cool shot.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
zackiedawg
Re: **weekly wildlife 5/19-5/26**

Ospreys can definitely be a little graphic - they really like to rip into a good fish...nice opportunity there!

Nice job on the duck too - looks like it could use a little brightening as it's a tad underexposed, but the focus and detail look to be there on the duck!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: First a few hatchlings - 5 images

Great series - a baby thread.  Baby mantises (love them again...just like last week - they're really pretty cool to see them young and together like that)...and love the grumpy baby birds - it's been that time of year down here too and we really have lots of the little chicks all around...they're ugly and cute at the same time when they're small.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Re: All the rest - 10 images

Surprising this time how many of the same animals you've got by you as I do down here - except for the deer which I can never get anywhere near down here, and the chipmunks which we don't have - many of the others are normal Florida fare.  Nice selection and nice shooting...and congrats on the spotted sandpiper (I just spotted and photographed my second sighting of one last month...I'd only gotten one 3 years previous).

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Looks like a pretty cool backyard bird - some people don't see any birds in their yard so you're luckier than some!

And don't think everyone in Florida has the luxury of being retired - I'm still clocking in 9-5 M-F, and can only get out to go birding on the weekends - but at least down here I can nab several dozen species on any afternoon!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg

Now THAT'S a wildlife thread!  Nice nice nice - and I'm jealous...not often we see bear, moose, elk, bison, etc in a thread here.  Neat series, great animals, well captured.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sam_Oslo
Sam_Oslo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Re: Florida - BIFs and swamp waders

Nice and close shot.  All baby animals are cute no mater how big they are.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Sam_Oslo
Sam's weekly wildlife

All shots are with A77+ my new Sony 70-400mm G1. Still trying to learn the tricks of this lens thought.

Another mating Grebe pare.

Nesting Swan

Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
knaller Forum Member • Posts: 70
Common Starling nest

After the feeding is before the next feeding

More food, please!

Looking left...

Looking right

Adult starling

The adult starling was quite busy feeding the chick. Every two minutes it came back with some food. And this gave me the chance to detect the nest in the first place. Their second mistake was the noise of the chick whenever the adult starling was near.

The Light wasn't the best, so the ISO came up to 800 and the exposure time was 1/50 s for 200mm or 1/320 s for 400mm. All handheld.

Best wishes

knaller

knaller's gear list:knaller's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +4 more
Sam_Oslo
Re: Common Starling nest

knaller wrote:

The adult starling was quite busy feeding the chick. Every two minutes it came back with some food. And this gave me the chance to detect the nest in the first place. Their second mistake was the noise of the chick whenever the adult starling was near.

Good capture of cute chicks

When you look at that nest, specifically the location and small door/opening, those chicks are pretty safe there.  They don't need to stay quiet or hide the nest, because no predator can get there anyways. But evolution couldn't prepare them against a Sony shooter with a 400mm, after all,  LOL.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,158

Terrific series of real wild animals.  And the captive wolf is excellent - nice angle and sharpness!  I haven't been to Yellowstone in about 40 years.

Was your shooting guided?  If so, how big of a group?

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Re: Sam's weekly wildlife

Some beauties there Sam.  That in flight takeoff is quite a catch.  Perfect shutter speed, nice exposure and sharpness.  There is a bit of halo around the branchs and the bird.  Is that in the processing?

-- hide signature --

AEH

Re: Common Starling nest

Nice series knaller.  I didn't know Starling nested in tree holes.  Good photos under difficult conditions.

-- hide signature --

AEH

RichV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Re: Florida - BIFs and swamp waders

Hi, Justin - really nice variety of the locals.  I was a bit confused by #3 - it just looked soft on my monitor and that's not something I'm used to with your shots.  So I clicked on the "view original" button and was amazed at the difference; now I'm wondering what the best submission size is, for getting the default view right.

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +7 more
barb_s
barb_s Contributing Member • Posts: 764
Re: Sam's weekly wildlife

Shot 4 looks tricky and you had perfect timing -- I'd be very happy getting that focus when it was on the move!  That was very nice!

Barb

barb_s's gear list:barb_s's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 III Leica Q Canon EOS 70D
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
Some stuff from Namibia Last month.

I am still processing the Namibia stuff but here are a few.

Olympus E-30 Sigma Bigma

Some Pano's  I shoot quite a few panos. The restricted web size is a bit of a hassles though.

The light was very hard. This was shoot with the E-30 and 12-60 it about 12,000 pixels

Shot with the E-620 and 18-180

E-30 12-60

Every thing has a reddish tint to it due to the red dust in Namibia. E-5 and bigma at 50mm about 10 shoots.

E-5 Sigma Bigma. About 22,000 pixels wide.

in length.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Re: Some stuff from Namibia Last month.

Amazing photos Collin.  I really like the panos too.  You clearly win the prize for the most Zebras in one image

There was a show about Zebras on PBS last week - very interesting creatures.

-- hide signature --

AEH

TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,638
Ducklings under-wing

From my first outing with a well-traveled Minolta 100-400 APO recently acquired on eBay. This was a tough exposure given the bright tail-feathers, and I blew out some highlights there, but the babies are no less cute for it!

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
TheVoid Senior Member • Posts: 1,638
Re: Some stuff from Namibia Last month.

Beautiful, well-framed and sharp shots there. Looks like you had a fantastic experience.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy

TheVoid's gear list:TheVoid's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads