A55

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
brian14478
brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703
A55

The weather has been great...so lots of photo ops. But even in the light rain, the a55 has been just fine.

If the a55 it could hold iq at 800iso like it did at 100 i dont think would ever need another camera....But i would want/need a longer semi-fast lens for wildlife shooting.  And that would cost quite a bit more than an a58.(though eventually i hope to have both) Thanks for looking, c&c,brian

a couple are quite cropped..jpegs(some over-pp'd but i am working on it)

mating pair of redwings

this trippled in size in a week and a half

wanted to get a little closer and compose better but some people came by and scared him off

Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chimere
Chimere Senior Member • Posts: 1,582
A55

Thanks for your regular posts, letting us in into your whereabouts.

Which is the semi fast long lens you would be looking at ?

Chimere

Canadian Club
Canadian Club Forum Pro • Posts: 41,938
Re: A55

Wow, you got a Red Wing Blackbird in flight.  

Another nice post.

CC

brian14478
OP brian14478 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,703

Chimere wrote:

Thanks for your regular posts, letting us in into your whereabouts.

Which is the semi fast long lens you would be looking at ?

Chimere

Thank you..To be honest i am not sure.  The tamron 200-500 looks very good for a 500mm range. Its not very fast but if sharpness is 'all there' by 6.3 i can live with that.  Hopefully even if it takes f9/f11 at 500mm it is critically sharp. The 400-500 range suffers on alot on  many/most of the wide range zooms.(except the sony g)

I am in no hurry, there are a few others(outside my price bracket right now).... missed a chance at a 400mm a while back and ended up with the tokina instead.  Very happy with it but sometimes, actually most of the time the birds of prey like to just stay out of reach for a nice image.

Thank you again,brian

brian14478

Canadian Club wrote:

Wow, you got a Red Wing Blackbird in flight.

Thanks cc. They have strange flight pattern.

They remind me of a harrier jet... just when you think they are going to go straight they go up hover dive and whatever the hell else they do..  At first they seem pretty easy to photograph in flight but they are a challenge and alot of fun to photograph.

These little swifts are the craziest fliers i have seen...they are like bats in flight.  I dont know why but when its rainy/very cloudy they come out to fly in groups at the river...

they are giving me tons of practice....brian

Vince Lester Olympia WA New Member • Posts: 13

Nice shots.  I picked up an A55 recently and am in my getting acquainted period.  Shot some pics in Sedona, AZ area with a couple of lenses I had - Tokina wide 20-35 and a Quantaray 28-200.  Tokina worked fine, but the Quantaray was locking up and hunting.  Not sure what was going on with it.  Finally just put it way and stuck with the Tokina and used a Sony HX10V P&S for anything needing zoom.

Wondering if it's time for a new, higher quality zoom (200-500mm?) for the A55.   Any suggestions?

Vince Lester

Olympia, WA

brian14478

Vince Lester Olympia WA wrote:

Nice shots.  I picked up an A55 recently and am in my getting acquainted period.  Shot some pics in Sedona, AZ area with a couple of lenses I had - Tokina wide 20-35 and a Quantaray 28-200.  Tokina worked fine, but the Quantaray was locking up and hunting.  Not sure what was going on with it.  Finally just put it way and stuck with the Tokina and used a Sony HX10V P&S for anything needing zoom.

Wondering if it's time for a new, higher quality zoom (200-500mm?) for the A55.   Any suggestions?

Vince Lester

Olympia, WA

Thank you...a 200-500 would work wonders, but thats alot of range you would probably be missing. For about the same price a sigma or tamron 70-200 2.8 would be a real nice lens for the a55 or any camera really.  It depends on what you are looking to shoot mostly, a fast 70-200   can make a nice landscape lens also for a bit of distance.  Or you could get a inexpensive used sigma 28-200/75-300 macro(make sure its compatable) and the tamron 200-500.

Tough call but best of luck and keep everyone posted please.  I would love to see some sedona/olympia shots.  I can  remember at 8years old comming down from flagstaff and seeing the lights from phoenix at night.  I can imagine olympia is beautiful also.  ...brian

Buddha statue near Sedona

Cathedral Rock - just before sunset in Sedona

brian14478

...Thank you -cathedral rock looks like such a beautiful area...looking forward to pics(hopefully bigger in the future) good luck with your lens decision,brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads