Why I chose 6D over D600

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
Re: Why I chose 6D over D600

From what I know is that 5DII and III spot meter on the center point only.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Congrats.  You made a good choice.

-- hide signature --
eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

socal4142 wrote:

First post here in the forum, hopefully I'll be around for a long time to come.

Ordered a Canon 6D today, upgrading from my Sony Alpha A57. My primary uses (and this is an odd combination, I know) are corporate video and personal portraits (with some lesser use for landscapes).

5D III, D800, and A99 were all out of my price range, since I had to save some $ for lenses too.

I went through all the reviews, etc. the same miserable process we've all experienced. I thought it might be of value to someone else if I shared why I ended up with 6D over D600:

• I really am someone who will use the low-light ISO, especially for portraits since I have to shoot natural light almost exclusively. I've had a some cameras that could take great pictures (Pentax K-x, Sony NEX C3, etc.), but I've always been frustrated that I could not push comfortably beyond ISO 800. 
  • Affordable lenses in the full-frame focal lengths I needed (better than Nikon for me). Even affordable used L-series lenses. 
  • More inexpensive MF lens options, including the very affordable non-ai Nikkors. 
  • The option of the L 1.2 lenses (at least for rental). 
  • The Canon world has a better video reputation, more resources available, and the possibility of Magic Lantern on the 6D someday is a nice thought. 
  • There is a clear video upgrade route to the EOS C100. No such thing with Nikon. 
  • Slight size / weight advantage of the 6D. The smaller the camera, the more willing I am to take it out with me.  

That's all theory right now, until it arrives. Then we'll see what the reality is!

Thanks for letting me jump on board.

Tim

Great camera the 6D and the ISO performance is unbelievable, I had it for a month and every time I shot at 12800 ISO I would never believe my eyes, it seemed like ISO 3200 in my 7D. I sold the 6D after a month and opted for the a99 since I prefer an EVF over an OVF.

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
OP socal4142 Regular Member • Posts: 279

Quick follow up - got my 6D this afternoon and just spent my first hour with it. First thoughts, on the positive side:

• The depth of field improvement (over APS-C) is just what I was looking for. Even with the cheap 50mm 1.8, bokeh is smooth and beautiful. 
  • It really does see in the dark. I can't believe what I can do at ISO 12800. 
  • Not only are the high ISO shots much cleaner to begin with, but the RAW files clean up much better in LR compared to the Sony A57. I.e., the A57 ISO 800 noise is probably similar to the Canon 6D ISO 6400 noise, but the Sony does funky stuff when you apply LR noise reduction, and the Canon just cleans up so smoothly. It's beautiful. 
  • The video quality is - as I'd heard everyone say - just different. It's hard to put a finger on it, but my very first video out of the camera blew me away with how much "better" it looked - more cinematic, less digital. Sweet. 

On the not-so-positive side:

• Coming from a world of SLTs and mirrorless, it's going to take a while to get used to a true DSLR again. I've got a bunch to (re)learn. 
  • Again my most recent experiences with small and light cameras have set me up for trouble - I need to start doing some hand and wrist exercises. The 6D may be small and light for a FF DSLR, but it's still heavy with anything other than the 50mm 1.8 on it. The 6D body + 70-200 f/4L wore me out in just a few minutes of carrying it around.
  • That button in the middle of the mode dial is bothersome. 
  • My Vello Nikon to EF adapter works on my AI lens, but not on my non-AI lens. I was under the impression that it would work on both. 

Overall, I'm very pleased!

Tim

eliehbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

socal4142 wrote:

Quick follow up - got my 6D this afternoon and just spent my first hour with it. First thoughts, on the positive side:

• The depth of field improvement (over APS-C) is just what I was looking for. Even with the cheap 50mm 1.8, bokeh is smooth and beautiful. 
  • It really does see in the dark. I can't believe what I can do at ISO 12800. 
  • Not only are the high ISO shots much cleaner to begin with, but the RAW files clean up much better in LR compared to the Sony A57. I.e., the A57 ISO 800 noise is probably similar to the Canon 6D ISO 6400 noise, but the Sony does funky stuff when you apply LR noise reduction, and the Canon just cleans up so smoothly. It's beautiful. 
  • The video quality is - as I'd heard everyone say - just different. It's hard to put a finger on it, but my very first video out of the camera blew me away with how much "better" it looked - more cinematic, less digital. Sweet. 

On the not-so-positive side:

• Coming from a world of SLTs and mirrorless, it's going to take a while to get used to a true DSLR again. I've got a bunch to (re)learn. 
  • Again my most recent experiences with small and light cameras have set me up for trouble - I need to start doing some hand and wrist exercises. The 6D may be small and light for a FF DSLR, but it's still heavy with anything other than the 50mm 1.8 on it. The 6D body + 70-200 f/4L wore me out in just a few minutes of carrying it around.
  • That button in the middle of the mode dial is bothersome. 
  • My Vello Nikon to EF adapter works on my AI lens, but not on my non-AI lens. I was under the impression that it would work on both. 

Overall, I'm very pleased!

Tim

cool Tim, enjoy the camera, it is an awesome tool. I exchanged mine for an a99 because I prefer the EVF, but the ISO performance of the 6D is a stop better.

eliehbk's gear list:eliehbk's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
dodgebaena Regular Member • Posts: 342

socal4142 wrote:

First post here in the forum, hopefully I'll be around for a long time to come.

Ordered a Canon 6D today, upgrading from my Sony Alpha A57. My primary uses (and this is an odd combination, I know) are corporate video and personal portraits (with some lesser use for landscapes).

5D III, D800, and A99 were all out of my price range, since I had to save some $ for lenses too.

I went through all the reviews, etc. the same miserable process we've all experienced. I thought it might be of value to someone else if I shared why I ended up with 6D over D600:

• I really am someone who will use the low-light ISO, especially for portraits since I have to shoot natural light almost exclusively. I've had a some cameras that could take great pictures (Pentax K-x, Sony NEX C3, etc.), but I've always been frustrated that I could not push comfortably beyond ISO 800. 
  • Affordable lenses in the full-frame focal lengths I needed (better than Nikon for me). Even affordable used L-series lenses. 
  • More inexpensive MF lens options, including the very affordable non-ai Nikkors. 
  • The option of the L 1.2 lenses (at least for rental). 
  • The Canon world has a better video reputation, more resources available, and the possibility of Magic Lantern on the 6D someday is a nice thought. 
  • There is a clear video upgrade route to the EOS C100. No such thing with Nikon. 
  • Slight size / weight advantage of the 6D. The smaller the camera, the more willing I am to take it out with me.  

That's all theory right now, until it arrives. Then we'll see what the reality is!

Thanks for letting me jump on board.

Tim

Your post is familiar to me... I'm contemplating getting back (2 years ago, I switched from the 5d2 (and Canon system stuff) into Canon with the 6D. Like you, mine is an odd combination: wedding videos, non-profit videos, interviews (hence the switch to the Sony's superior video implementation) with wedding Stills, Events, Landscapes and portraits.

I looked at both the 6D and the Nikon D600. In deciding which way to go, I listened to the wedding studio owner I shoot for, who is himself a very accomplished and in-demand shooter, and who shoots with both Canon and Nikon systems with every premium lens you can think of (he sometimes has to lend lenses to his shooters, both Nikon and Canon shooters), who has decided that within a year, he will trade in ALL his Nikon gear and concentrate solely on Canon.

Dodge

OP socal4142 Regular Member • Posts: 279

Your post is familiar to me... I'm contemplating getting back ... into Canon with the 6D....

and concentrate solely on Canon.

Dodge

After bouncing around from one system to another for some years, there is some real value to me in just saying "OK, I'm going to use this system and forget about everything else." Better to focus my attention on utilizing the Canon system well then spend all my time reading endless reviews about other options.

dresner
dresner Regular Member • Posts: 313

The EVF is useful and filled with info, been using it on my A77 for 18 months but its very difficult to use in sunlight.  For me, a travel photographer, the A77 has been disappointing and I'm looking at either the D600 or 6D.  Leaning toward the 6D, but very interested in the Nikon 28-300 and 16-35, both with VR and more affordable than e same range coverage in Canon.  That is a lot of coverage with 2 solid lenses.  On the other hand, feeling like the 6D will have better quality, support, and love built in GPS.

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Skutter New Member • Posts: 21

I have the D600 and I’m more than happy with the image quality and don’t find cleaning the sensor much of a problem. BUT I really wish it had the low light focus capability of the Canon. I’ve found it difficult to get consistent focus in low ambient light, having to resort to manual focus on a number of occasions even with a F1.4 lens.

One feature I do find really useful on the D600 is Auto ISO linked to focal length along with the ability to fine tune this. It more or less allows you to forget about setting ISO and get on with shooting – that’s assuming the camera will focus accurately!

I’ll persevere with the Nikon D600 as I’ve got a lot of Nikon glass, but I don’t think I would have regretted buying the Canon 6D.

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,212
I don't unbderstand this statement

socal4142 wrote:

I thought the 6D has a focus point with low light capability but not sure how this relates ISO sensitivity.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads