First photos with 9-18mm

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions
farrukh Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
First photos with 9-18mm

Just picked up the lens, have to say that I rather like it. Though in retrospect perhaps the 7-14 would have given me a little extra...

Anfy
Anfy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,440
Re: First photos with 9-18mm

farrukh wrote:

Just picked up the lens, have to say that I rather like it. Though in retrospect perhaps the 7-14 would have given me a little extra...

Question is if the additional bulk of a lens like the 7-14mm (which is not absolutely large per se but in comparison to the dwarfish 9-18mm) and its greater price would be worth the candle.

Ciao!

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

Really nice photos, but I would have appreciated EXIF.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,397
The wider you go the more difficult it becomes...

On Canon I had the 10-22 lens, which is a bit wider than the 9-18 on m43.

The 9-18 is still pretty wide and certainly wide enough to make it tricky to take shots without undesired perspective distortion. I got it just over a week ago, in time for a short trip to Innsbruck (Austria).

This is 10mm, and looks ok to me.

Here is a 9mm shot that looks reasonable:

But this is also 9mm and the bus really looks unnatural:

Here is another shot at 9mm. The people in the center look far away but in reality they were not.

So it's tricky to use wide angle and obtain naturally looking shots.

The shot below is pretty similar but taken at 12mm and suddenly the people in the center look closer than in the 9mm shot.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
The Jacal
The Jacal Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

farrukh wrote:

It's a great lens, nice and compact, like any WA though, it can be tricky to use. These shots work well, I love the second one, but the first one, imo, would be better taken from a lower angle.

Nice pad too. Is that your weekend retreat? 

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
DaveLemi
DaveLemi Regular Member • Posts: 363

What was the deciding factor between this lens and the Pan 7-14? Size, cost, no filter, all of the above? Thanks in advance for your response.

DaveLemi's gear list:DaveLemi's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
mfj197
mfj197 Contributing Member • Posts: 525

Ah, Wisley. Although how did you find it so quiet? I had the 7-14 but sold it, primarily due to its size and weight. I do keep wondering about the 9-18 though.

G1Shooter Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Re: Which 9-18mm?

The 4/3 or the mirco 4/3?

G1Shooter's gear list:G1Shooter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
OP farrukh Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
Question is if the additional bulk of a lens like the 7-14mm (which is not absolutely large per se but in comparison to the dwarfish 9-18mm) and its greater price would be worth the candle.

You're right about the size, the 9-18 is tiny, fits in my pocket

What was the deciding factor between this lens and the Pan 7-14? Size, cost, no filter, all of the above? Thanks in advance for your response.

Cost primarily, though in retrospect, size was also a consideration. I have a very small camera bag and all of my lenses are small. Though thinking about it, even if I did pick up the 7-14mm instead, I'd probably want an even wider lens.

My main consideration however was the purple fringing effect some people would get with the 7-14mm. I used most of my photos jpeg OOC, so less work on my part...

mfj197 wrote:

Ah, Wisley. Although how did you find it so quiet? I had the 7-14 but sold it, primarily due to its size and weight. I do keep wondering about the 9-18 though.

The shot of the main house was taken around 5:30 we were late leaving

As I've not have the 7-14 I can't compare, but I would say that the 9-18 is great. I kept moving between 14mm and 9mm just to see the difference between what I would have had on the Panasonic 14mm and what I'm getting with the Olympus 9-18mm - it felt good

G1Shooter wrote:

Micro.

FrankParis wrote:

Really nice photos, but I would have appreciated EXIF.

Thanks - it's a snag with FB hosting. The one's I'll add on Flickr later should show the EXIF

Re: The wider you go the more difficult it becomes...

Paul De Bra wrote:

On Canon I had the 10-22 lens, which is a bit wider than the 9-18 on m43.

The 9-18 is still pretty wide and certainly wide enough to make it tricky to take shots without undesired perspective distortion. I got it just over a week ago, in time for a short trip to Innsbruck (Austria).

Some great shots. Actually I don't mind the distortion so much, I find it simply adds to viewing experience.

I really like the example below though, it really does give a new context to how a scene can be captured - and this was one of the reasons why I opted for the 9-18mm instead of the 12mm. Even though the latter could have more uses in lower light, that little extra at 9mm I think makes the difference.

Here is another shot at 9mm. The people in the center look far away but in reality they were not.

The shot below is pretty similar but taken at 12mm and suddenly the people in the center look closer than in the 9mm shot.

farrukh wrote:

G1Shooter wrote:

Micro.

Yes, thank you. With the additional comments you posted 4 hours ago that finally became clear.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
FredB Contributing Member • Posts: 828

I have such a hard time deciding between the 7-14 and the 9-18, primarily because you can easily find a used copy of the 7-14 for around 850$, but finding a used copy of the 9-18 is darn near impossible for much less than its standard price of 699$ and that is very little difference in the long term in price.

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more

FredB wrote:

.............., but finding a used copy of the 9-18 is darn near impossible for much less than its standard price of 699$............

Yes, but that fact is telling you something.

dadaoftwo Regular Member • Posts: 227

DaveLemi wrote:

I chose the 9-18 over the 7-14 because I have an OMD and read about the horrible purple blotching this combination creates. I intend to use the wa lens for night scenery, purple blotches will kill that idea quick! Also, no filters on the 7-14...

dadaoftwo's gear list:dadaoftwo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR

FredB wrote:

I have such a hard time deciding between the 7-14 and the 9-18, primarily because you can easily find a used copy of the 7-14 for around 850$, but finding a used copy of the 9-18 is darn near impossible for much less than its standard price of 699$ and that is very little difference in the long term in price.

One of the biggest deciders for me was the last of purple glare - so I could use OOC jpegs much easier. Though still between 9 and 7mm there is a huge jump...

I chose the 9-18 over the 7-14 because I have an OMD and read about the horrible purple blotching this combination creates. I intend to use the wa lens for night scenery, purple blotches will kill that idea quick! Also, no filters on the 7-14...

+1!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads