Pentax Brand Not Featured in Gear Shop

Started May 16, 2013 | Discussions
Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,773
Re: interesting

viking79 wrote:

...pushes sales of well rated products. 

this is the most interesting aspect of the store, to me.  not that it carries well rated products, exactly, but that it doesn't have so many products.  they happen to be well rated, of course, but i am happy to see a more limited selection for whatever reason.  of course the selection should be broadened to include pentax  :^)

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,639
Don't attribute to malice ...

Zablot wrote:

Just received a message from DPreview about their new photo gear selling site.  Unfortunately, Pentax is not represented among the items for sale.  There are Pentax mount lenses available in other brands like Sigma.  Just poking the bear...................................Jim

.. what can be adequately explained with incompetence.

Considering Pentax's own lack of imagination and will to establish its presence anywhere, I sincerely doubt that DPR team has anything to do with absence of Pentax gear from the DPR GearShop.

That DPR wants to have a more licked up portral towards buying the gear, well, they have only made a better user interface to what people are already doing: after reading a review, people click to buy a certain piece of gear from some of photo retail shops.

This is the same thing, only made more prominent and comprehensible, but changes nothing re DPR's review editorial policy.

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

FooFighter007 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Don't attribute to malice ...

I tend to tell people that DPReview is one of the most objective unbiased online photography sites out there.

After perusing the pentax forum site for a year, I think it is just a means for advertising for B&H/Adorama (there is a subforum called "Ask B&H"), not a genuine Pentax fan site. So good on banning it!  There are other more genuine Pentax info/fan sites out there.

OP Zablot Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: Pentax Brand Not Featured in Gear Shop

Thank you Simon for the response......................Jim

John Waine Forum Member • Posts: 74

II have actually been impressed with PF as I refer to their lens reviews from time to time. I am curious though as to the other web sites you are talking about, if you care to share. You can never get enough information.

FooFighter007 wrote:

I tend to tell people that DPReview is one of the most objective unbiased online photography sites out there.

After perusing the pentax forum site for a year, I think it is just a means for advertising for B&H/Adorama (there is a subforum called "Ask B&H"), not a genuine Pentax fan site. So good on banning it!  There are other more genuine Pentax info/fan sites out there.

Jack Simpson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,556

Michael de Ruijter wrote:

That did not go unnoticed by me. Just wasn't going to start discussing something that was only sent via pm.

Hi Michael,

I received the same PM and replied with my displeasure at Pentax missing from the GS and would, unless absolutely necessary via work, not be visiting.

That'll make 'em think twice

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

-Mike

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Ricoh GR Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-r Pentax K-50 +7 more
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 5,336

Yeah... That's what I immediately noticed.

Would they sell used equipment? It looks like all my LBA interests now are in older discontinued Pentaxes and Sigmas. And KEH started charging taxes for CA residents. 10% ads some noticeable dough to every "treasure" found.

BTW: After buying Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 8-16, and Sigma 180/3.5 Macro in December 2012 I have shut my LBA for a while 

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,631

Jack Simpson wrote:

Michael de Ruijter wrote:

That did not go unnoticed by me. Just wasn't going to start discussing something that was only sent via pm.

Hi Michael,

I received the same PM and replied with my displeasure at Pentax missing from the GS and would, unless absolutely necessary via work, not be visiting.

That'll make 'em think twice

Cheers,

Jack

What puts me off is that's US only (or so it appears).

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Tim A2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

My 3 cents worth :

1)  I would bet Pentax has significant fault for not being included.

2)  If you think a review conclusion and rating might be biased, ignore DPR's conclusion and rating and draw your own conclusion, especially regarding what's important to you. If you think the testing and evaluation was not objective, ask for your money back.

3)  I don't have much more reason to suspect their reviews because of the new shop than I did because of Amazon. Well there is that limeted selection factor, though. Hmmm

just my 3cents worth for whatever it's worth

Tim

JayBratcher Regular Member • Posts: 283

Simon Joinson wrote:

But I would say maybe you should be asking Pentax why they're not on...

Simon

Pure speculation, but here it goes.

Nikon and Canon put a lot of effort into getting these cameras into the hands of specific reviewers, along with a NDA, all the time.  Does Pentax do this?  Probably not.

Case in point - when the Nikon D7000 came out, Chase Jarvis was the first one to blog about it, almost certainly with Nikon's blessing.  He had been shooting with it for some time, and some of his shots were featured in Nikon's press releases.

This is how camera reviews work.  DPReview is no different than any other site - they do not go down to Canon HQ and ask if they can play with the new toys - Canon comes to them, and says, "Hey - here is our new camera, it's going to be released in xxx weeks, we would like for you to review it, and by the way, you can post a hands on preview as soon as we announce the camera publicly on the umpteenth of Maruary."

So be kind to DPReview - they are just doing their job, and if I am correct, Pentax is starting to take steps to correct this problem.  I suspect that DPReview will have a hands on preview of "the next big thing" from Pentax, as soon as it is announced...

JayBratcher's gear list:JayBratcher's gear list
Nikon D70 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro +9 more
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

John_A_G wrote:

Jeff - exactly why photography magazine reviews have been completely useless for years.  Every piece of gear is great.  Price is usually the only thing they attack.

This is essentially why - for household products - people love Consumer Reports.  They don't have advertising and they don't rely on free demos from companies.  While I recognize DPR cannot go that route - this route really hits their credibility.

And, for those of you who don't know - I'm a Canon guy, not a Pentax guy.  So, I am not part of the "DPR is out to get Pentax" club.  I just believe that any corporation that relies on income from the products they review has a perception problem.  Simon's response doesn't reflect real human behavior.  His response is basically - "you should trust our integrity because we say so".  In general, I think they do a decent job on reviews - I really do.  I don't think they are biased toward one brand or another - at least not beyond whatever biases we as humans develop.  But, when you start bringing sales and profits into things - that changes matters.  SALES divisions drive companies.  Again, just my opinion.

Unfortunately, John, Consumer Reports is BY FAR the most useless waste of tree pulp every printed since the Gutenburg Bible. Why do I say that? Well, perhaps it's for the very reason they claim they have no ability to be swayed by conflict of interest: the fact that they accept no advertisements and that they accept no free samples for reviews, but BUY whatever they review directly through the retail chain, just like a consumer would...

Maybe that's why I've consistently found through the years, on the several occasions I've decided to try a subscription to them again, that they choose to review only a limited number of brands in any particular product category, and then only a limited number of products throughout those brand lines. And they don't come around with a second round on those products to catch up the ones they missed -- at least not until the next year -- at which point they generally do the same thing all over again. I've seen this consistently with with all variety of consumer electronics, from HDTVs, to cameras to stereo equipment. In 2006, when I was looking into buying my first HDTV, they didn't even have the brand I was considering listed -- not a single model made by that brand. Not one.

Worse yet. Since the reviewers at Consumer Reports appear to be "generalists," they tend to usually review products on criteria that are often entirely irrelevant to those of us who are really into, and familiar with, stereo equipment, or HDTV, or digital cameras. Similarly, they generally skip many criteria most of us include VITAL information. It's like they just look at these things like someone who never heard of them before and TAKE A GUESS what are the "10 most important features," and then list those, with their take on how each rates.

Consumer Reports is essentially good for one thing, and one thing only... Buying cars.

I'd MUCH rather depend on the reviews in photography magazines and places like here, and I don't care that there may be some bias due to advertising concerns that causes them to never give a really "critical" review. If you read the reviews carefully, you can still see what the downfalls are, regardless of what the final "score" is. They'll generally nitpick the bad stuff, then give kudos for the good stuff and give that more weight in the final score. You just have to know how to read reviews.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
FooFighter007 New Member • Posts: 9

John Waine wrote:

II have actually been impressed with PF as I refer to their lens reviews from time to time. I am curious though as to the other web sites you are talking about, if you care to share. You can never get enough information.

Some are older websites, but are classics regarding older equipment.

The venerable Bojidar Dimitov's website:  http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/

http://www.aohc.it/index.htm

http://stans-photography.info/

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587

Tim A2 wrote:

Perhaps there are good business reasons - like it's too expensive.

-- hide signature --
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,639
What is more expensive?

Model Mike wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

What is more expensive; lack of presence and recognition in the marketplace, or restructuring the budget and marketing to rethink past strategies that yielded in ever-increasing absence from the sight of potential users?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,878
Re: What is more expensive?

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Model Mike wrote:

Tim A2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

What is more expensive; lack of presence and recognition in the marketplace, or restructuring the budget and marketing to rethink past strategies that yielded in ever-increasing absence from the sight of potential users?

That depends on how many resources that a large, successful parent company wants to pour into a small, under-performing division. The very tiny and yet very vocal group of users who post on forums like these are not even on the radar of the bean counters in a large Japanese corporation. So ... we don't know anything right now, and our impatience is of no concern to anyone outside of this small community.

Be patient and use the gear you have, buy what's available, or shop elsewhere. The choice is pretty simple.

tl,dr: nobody at Ricoh is reading this forum.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 +13 more
MikeFreeze Regular Member • Posts: 123

Maybe they will be eventually.  In reply to my disappointment of Pentax not being listed (noted in the gearshop forum), I received a reply of "We hear you" and this link to a more complete answer; http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51484942

So there is a chance Pentax will be included.

Mike Freeze

MikeFreeze's gear list:MikeFreeze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +3 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,448

I totally agree Mike - we can expect even more bias, DPR will loose all credibility if they are not careful. Don't expect to many gold or silvers for a product you don't sell!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Laura Duffy
Laura Duffy Regular Member • Posts: 123
 Laura Duffy's gear list:Laura Duffy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +19 more
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,631

Laura@GearShop wrote:

Pentax and Ricoh are here!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51674341

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I actually saw it yesterday (it's 00:50 around here ); even though I probably won't buy from there, for no other reason than being located on another continent, it's good to hear that.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,448

Good Laura - thought we were going to be ignored.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads