Focus points for E5

Started May 16, 2013 | Questions
pic2pic Regular Member • Posts: 106
Focus points for E5

I have been using the E5 for a year now and am still learning all its abilities.  I love the camera and its uses and have some super pics from it.  Had the E510 before.  I have been studying all the functions and have a question for users of the E5.

When you are working with setting the focus points there are 3 modes indicated at the bottom of the screen-----an all points (11 position) focus, a single middle dot focus point and a third which looks like a plus sign focus.

I have worked with the first two well, but the plus will never light up on my camera and has never lit during my experience with it.  Am I doing something incorrectly (or maybe do not know how to use it) or could it be a fault with the camera? I can work the other 2 focus areas fine and they light up when indicated.

I have David Busch's book on the E5 but can not find anything about this in it or in researching.

Thank you for you help in advance.

Stelle

ANSWER:
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
Re: Focus points for E5

I think the plus sign is using the four outer points in support of the central point. So the I dont think the plus lights up the way it does in other modes... But others will give a better explanation then that... They will be along shortly.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

petrbur Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Selection is in MENU

Go to MENU, scroll down to Custom Menu, select the first tab A - AF/MF then again first submenu AF AREA. Here select which area mode you want: All, Single, Single dynamic.

Single dynamic is similar to the Single target AF mode. You also have to choose which single target point you want to focus on. But in the dynamic mode, if camera is not capable to get focused using the selected target point, it automatically uses one of the adjacent target points. Hence that "plus" icon.

-- hide signature --

Petr
Zenfolio gallery at http://medsved.net

petrbur's gear list:petrbur's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +4 more
OP pic2pic Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Selection is in MENU

Thank you so much.  That helps a lot.

Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

You can also change it by pushing and holding the point selector button (top right of the back of the camera) while rotating the wheel or using the left right buttons:-D

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +34 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
OP pic2pic Regular Member • Posts: 106

Thank you all.  I just could not figure out how to make the "plus" active like the other two modes.  Have used it this pm and tried out that feature.  I know I have so much more to learn but really do love the E5.  Maybe one day I will master it.

Harri Fin H5 Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

Hi

I'll use one point AF / AF sensititity Small point + ESP+AF

I think the focus will work best for this adjustment

-- hide signature --

Harri

Harri Fin H5's gear list:Harri Fin H5's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads