Bokeh with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions
Fierygohan Junior Member • Posts: 25
Bokeh with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6

Hi guys,

I would like to know whether I will be possible to get good bokeh with the kit lens.

And also I will be soon visiting the Taj Mahal at Agra, would de kit lens be good for such shots.

Thanks in advance

Bye

Philip Kendall
Philip Kendall Contributing Member • Posts: 789
Re: Bokeh with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
3

Fierygohan wrote:

I would like to know whether I will be possible to get good bokeh with the kit lens.

"Bokeh" is normally used to refer to the quality of the blur produced, rather than the quantity. For that, the kit lens is OK.

If what you mean is "is it possible to get a shallow depth of field", then the answer is "yes, with some work". Do the normal things: be as close to the subject as possible, and have the background as far away from the subject as possible, and shoot as wide open as possible.

And also I will be soon visiting the Taj Mahal at Agra, would de kit lens be good for such shots.

It will be better than a compact camera for the zoom range that it covers. It won't be as good as a more expensive lens.

 Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
c.hammett Forum Pro • Posts: 12,083
Re: The Taj with most any lens !
1

Fierygohan wrote:

Hi guys,

I would like to know whether I will be possible to get good bokeh with the kit lens.

And also I will be soon visiting the Taj Mahal at Agra, would de kit lens be good for such shots.

Thanks in advance

Bye

I don't have the SL1 or kit lens (yet) , but am seriously considering it as a backup to my 7D and G1X, the latter being used mostly now due to some joint replacement surgery in my wrists.  I thught I'd mention that we were in India in 2005, and at that time I had my 10D with the old faithful 28-135 IS, and my little G3.

I got gorgeous images of the Taj with both cameras, but my best image (almost no people to clutter up the look !), was with the little G3.  I even had it enlarged and printed (commercially) at 13 x 16 and it is gorgeous, matted and framed !  Frankly, barring a lot of crowds,  think you could take beautiful pictures of the Taj with any lens !!!   We saw the Taj at dawn, as it emerged from the mist, and changed colors with the atmospheric changes, thus the opportunity to get many different impressions.

Here is the link to some India  pictures, and on the 5th row,  you will see 4 pictures of the Taj.  The EXIF gives camera data.   Have fun...

http://www.pbase.com/chammett/india_2005

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

 c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
OP Fierygohan Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: The Taj with most any lens !

Hi,

Thanks Philip and Carolyn.

how did u manage to get those shots of the Taj without anyone.

And @Carolyn did the security guards allow your camera bag to go into the Taj. And were they a problem. Was your bag scanned.

Bye

c.hammett Forum Pro • Posts: 12,083
Re: The Taj with most any lens !
1

Fierygohan wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Philip and Carolyn.

how did u manage to get those shots of the Taj without anyone.

And @Carolyn did the security guards allow your camera bag to go into the Taj. And were they a problem. Was your bag scanned.

Bye

We were at the Taj first thing when it opened at dawn... maybe 6 or 6:30 a.m.  Now this was in 2005, so my memory of exact time is a little vague.  We were among the first people there though, and I took tons of pictures.  It was barely light, and it was wonderful to watch the Taj emerge from the early dawn light and kind of "unfold" as the light and color changed.  I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.... well most anything !   So that's how we got pix with few people. There is also a picture of me shot on the back side of the Taj, sitting in one of the arches. The picture is on the row just below the images of the Taj on the link I gave you.  I don't know if they would allow people do do that now or not.  We had to put on felt booties over our shoes before going inside.  As I recall, no photos allowed inside.

As for bags and security... there wasn't any security or bag scanner that I recall.  We just handed someone our ticket and walked in.  That was then.... this is now.  So can't comment on that !

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

 c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
OP Fierygohan Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: The Taj with most any lens !

c.hammett wrote:

Fierygohan wrote:

Hi,

Thanks Philip and Carolyn.

how did u manage to get those shots of the Taj without anyone.

And @Carolyn did the security guards allow your camera bag to go into the Taj. And were they a problem. Was your bag scanned.

Bye

We were at the Taj first thing when it opened at dawn... maybe 6 or 6:30 a.m.  Now this was in 2005, so my memory of exact time is a little vague.  We were among the first people there though, and I took tons of pictures.  It was barely light, and it was wonderful to watch the Taj emerge from the early dawn light and kind of "unfold" as the light and color changed.  I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.... well most anything !   So that's how we got pix with few people. There is also a picture of me shot on the back side of the Taj, sitting in one of the arches. The picture is on the row just below the images of the Taj on the link I gave you.  I don't know if they would allow people do do that now or not.  We had to put on felt booties over our shoes before going inside.  As I recall, no photos allowed inside.

As for bags and security... there wasn't any security or bag scanner that I recall.  We just handed someone our ticket and walked in.  That was then.... this is now.  So can't comment on that !

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads