Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions
faith_ps
faith_ps Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Hi All,

I want to own a larger format printer that I can use at home. With extensive portfolios of photos, I'd like to print them at least A2 sizes. Also who knows I can start a soho business on digital fine art printing here in my town.

The question is... Is Epson Stylus Pro 7890 a good one to start with or should I go straight right up with the 9890. I'll be working alone on my own. So operation has to be as easy and convenient as possible.

Also I'd like to know if there is any website or anyone who is kind enough to share the cost per print so that I can calculate the cost & selling prices. I know it will be hard to have big profit cause its a new start. But hoping to make it in this small business.

Also, what are the quirks and downfalls to watch out for.

Thxs all,

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674
Re: Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

I want to own a larger format printer that I can use at home. With extensive portfolios of photos, I'd like to print them at least A2 sizes. Also who knows I can start a soho business on digital fine art printing here in my town.

For A2. I would strongly suggest looking at the Epson 3880.

The question is... Is Epson Stylus Pro 7890 a good one to start with or should I go straight right up with the 9890. I'll be working alone on my own. So operation has to be as easy and convenient as possible.

Do you really want 44 inch prints; just stocking 44 inch rolls, in a reasonable selection of papers, will double the cost of the printer.

Also I'd like to know if there is any website or anyone who is kind enough to share the cost per print so that I can calculate the cost & selling prices. I know it will be hard to have big profit cause its a new start. But hoping to make it in this small business.

Look at the Red River paper site, it has estimated ink costs for several printers.

Brian A

Tom-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

I have the 7900 which is the same as the 7890 with 2 extra ink colors.

These printers are very easy to load and use with roll paper. No reason why you would need help in printing.

The 7890 vs. 9890 decision process should include: do you have enough room for the 9890? It is BIG. How close is the nearest 44" printer? Would you have a monopoly on prints in the range of 24 inches to 44 inches?

I figure an ink cost of $0.63 per square foot. You would need to convert that to use your local currency and metric. Paper cost is easy to calculate.

Your selling price would need to be several times your cost for paper and ink to cover the cost of trial prints, and for the printer purchase price.

Are you practiced enough to make good prints now with some other printer? If not, then you will need to plan for a longer learning period to develop the skills to produce good quality prints with a minimum of mistakes.

Tom

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

Tom-C's gear list:Tom-C's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
faith_ps
OP faith_ps Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

For A2. I would strongly suggest looking at the Epson 3880.

Do you really want 44 inch prints; just stocking 44 inch rolls, in a reasonable selection of papers, will double the cost of the printer.

Look at the Red River paper site, it has estimated ink costs for several printers.

Brian A

Hi Brian A,

Thxs for the respond.

Do I need a 44"? On deep thoughts, I think it is my ego that does. Common sense warned me of big money waste indeed.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
faith_ps

I have the 7900 which is the same as the 7890 with 2 extra ink colors.

These printers are very easy to load and use with roll paper. No reason why you would need help in printing.

The 7890 vs. 9890 decision process should include: do you have enough room for the 9890? It is BIG. How close is the nearest 44" printer? Would you have a monopoly on prints in the range of 24 inches to 44 inches?

I figure an ink cost of $0.63 per square foot. You would need to convert that to use your local currency and metric. Paper cost is easy to calculate.

Your selling price would need to be several times your cost for paper and ink to cover the cost of trial prints, and for the printer purchase price.

Are you practiced enough to make good prints now with some other printer? If not, then you will need to plan for a longer learning period to develop the skills to produce good quality prints with a minimum of mistakes.

Tom

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

Hello Tom C,

There is just one good reliable digital photo print with complete service in my town. In fact, I'm a loyal customer. I wont be in competition with them.

The whole idea of me setting a small digital fine art print would be out of my passion to see good quality photos being printed instead of kept in hard disk. So I'm willing to spend money on printer. But I have to be careful on the calculation. Right now I can afford the 7890. If I have larger size jobs, I'll bring it to that print shop I frequent.

Right now I'm on the intensive of learning to print in the best quality possible with an A4 size Epson printer. Hope to really be a good printer with efficiency and effectiveness.

Is what I have right now good enough to get the 7890.

jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,763

You should also look at the Canon 6xxx series of large/professional printers

faith_ps

You should also look at the Canon 6xxx series of large/professional printers

Hi Howard,

Yes, I've also look at Canon's. But here in my city there is a sales and service centre for Epson large formats. They have complete Epson supplies. Yes the price is about $500 more expensive than listed on internets. But I would feel safer to have them around in time of trouble. Yesterday Epson rep came to my house to do presentation and handed brochures, price lists and paper samples.

I havent find any Canon sales rep and ready goods yet in here.

jakop
--

Steve Lacy quotes

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,763

Fair enough.  Gotta go w/ what you're comfortable with.  Just wanted to make sure you had at least looked at them, they get great reviews, little to no clogging and replaceable heads.

faith_ps
Canon's 12 inks.....

Howard Moftich wrote:

Fair enough.  Gotta go w/ what you're comfortable with.  Just wanted to make sure you had at least looked at them, they get great reviews,

little to no clogging and replaceable heads.

This is attractive.

I have till end June to decide which is the most ideal. So these days I'll be sure to check the Canons as well. I'll give Canon in the head office in Jakarta a call. But I don't think they have a stock in my city and will be on order. Canon's 12 ink is a big wow factor I think. A way to lure customer.

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,438

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

I have had the 7890 a couple of months now and am pleased with it. The only problem being that the cutter does not always cut right across my 24" paper. Sometimes I get a few scratch marks on the paper too but i think this has been because of suction not high enough. I'm still on my first set of inks too and haven't had to replace one yet, I print mostly b&w. This printer has been marketed very cheaply here in the UK, I don't know what you have to pay for it out there.

bkpix
bkpix Contributing Member • Posts: 760

Hi Jakop,

Interesting question for me personally, as I bought a 24-inch printer (a used 7600) a couple years ago and occasionally still wish I'd held out for a 44-inch 9600.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from your question it doesn't sound as if you have a lot of high-end printing experience. If you don't, might it make more sense to work gradually into what you want to do? Perhaps with a smaller printer, or a used one?

A new 7890 costs a a chunk of money. So does the ink you'll burn through learning to use it right. I was able to find my used 7600 for $500. It works flawlessly -- and I think this is important, I'm not intimidated about working on it myself. (I live in rural Oregon, and qualified Epson techs are about as common here as baby Sasquatch.)

There is a LOT to learn about these monsters, and after two years of printing I am very much still learning.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Buying a big printer was one of the best things I've done for my photography. (Now about finding that used 9600....)

Bob

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax KP +13 more
faith_ps

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

I have had the 7890 a couple of months now and am pleased with it. The only problem being that the cutter does not always cut right across my 24" paper. Sometimes I get a few scratch marks on the paper too but i think this has been because of suction not high enough. I'm still on my first set of inks too and haven't had to replace one yet, I print mostly b&w. This printer has been marketed very cheaply here in the UK, I don't know what you have to pay for it out there.

Hi, Jules,

7890 here cost approx $us 3700s. Pricey indeed. But at least Epson sales and service office is near. Their rep is friendly and helpful.

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps

Hi Jakop,

Interesting question for me personally, as I bought a 24-inch printer (a used 7600) a couple years ago and occasionally still wish I'd held out for a 44-inch 9600.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from your question it doesn't sound as if you have a lot of high-end printing experience. If you don't, might it make more sense to work gradually into what you want to do? Perhaps with a smaller printer, or a used one?

A new 7890 costs a a chunk of money. So does the ink you'll burn through learning to use it right. I was able to find my used 7600 for $500. It works flawlessly -- and I think this is important, I'm not intimidated about working on it myself. (I live in rural Oregon, and qualified Epson techs are about as common here as baby Sasquatch.)

There is a LOT to learn about these monsters, and after two years of printing I am very much still learning.

Don't let me discourage you, though. Buying a big printer was one of the best things I've done for my photography. (Now about finding that used 9600....)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Indeed, I havent got even the slightest experience with big format printing. And my city is no different than yours. There is only perhaps one population of 9900 with decent print quality.

As for me, I only have my passion and a $4000 cash in hand to be spent for capital. If I do good with this printing, I'll be happy. I'm not expecting profits in at least a year or two.

I'm also not sure whether passion alone is enough. But if I dont start now.... Then when??

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,438

faith_ps wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

Hi, Jules,

7890 here cost approx $us 3700s. Pricey indeed. But at least Epson sales and service office is near. Their rep is friendly and helpful.

I paid £1500 which is $US 2300 Including delivery and set up.

faith_ps

faith_ps wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

Thxs all,

Jakop

Hi, Jules,

I paid £1500 which is $US 2300 Including delivery and set up.

You are very lucky. What a price.
--

Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps
Epson Stylus Pro 9890 arrived yesterday

but, the supplied CD driver cannot work on my imac with version 10.6.8. I've also downloaded on line drivers from Epson website also to no avail. Did not show up on my printer system.

What to do?

I've loaded a 24" roll Epson Premium Lustre. I wanted to print two photos with sizes 45cm x 30cm each. My layout management was to put it side by side so that they are 60cm by 45cm and can fit the 24" paper width. But when I did print it, the result is a funny lines only. Several times I had to cancel the job. But when I printed single, it printed OK but then I wasted about 15cm width of paper.

What to do? Is my layout management wrong and the paper sizing wrong? Pls help.

Thxs,

JAKOP

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Rkelac Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Epson Stylus Pro 9890 arrived yesterday

faith_ps wrote:

but, the supplied CD driver cannot work on my imac with version 10.6.8. I've also downloaded on line drivers from Epson website also to no avail. Did not show up on my printer system.

What to do?

I've loaded a 24" roll Epson Premium Lustre. I wanted to print two photos with sizes 45cm x 30cm each. My layout management was to put it side by side so that they are 60cm by 45cm and can fit the 24" paper width. But when I did print it, the result is a funny lines only. Several times I had to cancel the job. But when I printed single, it printed OK but then I wasted about 15cm width of paper.

Thxs,

JAKOP

I suggest you update to Mountain Lion.  It would solve a lot of problems.  How old is your iMac?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8
faith_ps
It all good now.

Rkelac wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

What to do?

Thxs,

JAKOP

I suggest you update to Mountain Lion. It would solve a lot of problems. How old is your iMac?

Looks like my imac won't respond if the USB cable is not connected. Its now all good. Wonderful prints coming out from this machine with Epson Premium Lustre and the Doubleweight Matte that came with it is great for B/W matt inked prints. Simply love it.

I still trying to get the hang of the layouting.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674
Re: It all good now.

faith_ps wrote:

You are not trying to use the driver to layout multiple images, are you?

Photoshop doesn't deal with multiple images, you would have to combine images to make one, and that isn't very useful. But most other editing and cataloging programs will do a much better job with image layout than the driver: Lightroom, Aperture, QImage (Win only), etc.

If you ae using the driver for print layout, you are the first person I have heard of doing it.

Brian A

faith_ps
Combining images

Hugowolf wrote:

faith_ps wrote:

You are not trying to use the driver to layout multiple images, are you?

Photoshop doesn't deal with multiple images, you would have to combine images to make one, and that isn't very useful. But most other editing and cataloging programs will do a much better job with image layout than the driver: Lightroom, Aperture, QImage (Win only), etc.

If you ae using the driver for print layout, you are the first person I have heard of doing it.

Brian A

Yes Brian. As you can see, these few days is all about trial and error. Trying to keep error to the minimum though.

I did combine four images to fit in one A1 size and use the A1 roll banner on the 24". It's a success. Results are fantastic. Tried the 1440 best dpi on the Premium Lustre and switch to matt blk on the free dobleweight for B/W prints at 720dpi best. It's all sooo goood.

Meantime, I'll keep reading the manual to understand better.

Jakop

-- hide signature --

Steve Lacy quotes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads