Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jeanadriane Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm
1

Hi everybody,

It's been quite a while since I was active in this forum. Travelling got in the way, more specifically staying in a tiny Caribbean island where internet only recently got upgraded to a whopping 2Mb/sec. Max, that is - the average is half at best.

However, I did a wedding here! And actually, Anders, 't was me who was the wedding photographers when the Swedes tied the knot! Young Swedes who initially came here as volunteers, then landed in jobs, and now are starting a family.

I used to do weddings in a previous era, with Contax SLR's + Zeiss lenses, and later with the Nikon D70 + kitzoom. Now m43 is my only gear, and of course I was a little bit nervous about how it would work out. Well, it worked fine to me! I had bought the 12-35mm for the occasion and used it for all pics. What a joy to work with that lens! Excellent sharpness & colour rendering, good FLs, that essential f2.8 option, plus being able to stop down a little for better IQ and still stay at f4.5. To my surprise I made much more use of the 12mm than I'd ever thought I would. I never was much of a 24mm-gal, but now it often was exactly what I needed.

The circumstances were, uhm, interesting The wedding ceremony was held at the end of the afternoon in the roofless ruin of a 18th century church. Slanting but strong tropical sunlight, the proverbial extremes of bridal white and groomy black taken to a next level of DR-challenges by stark shadows and blindingly sunlit patches and walls. And hardly any room to move and find better vantage points and angles, for people were standing in the way everywhere. Over shoulders and between moving elbows my camera was peeping while the newly weds put the rings on eachother's fingers, tenderly wrapping full hands around the beloved fingers.

Please see the nest post for the remainder of this post...

Ciao, Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Ermmmm, what has happened here? Quite a challenge to post something here that is not one layout mess...

Well, here goes... the remainder of the post:

After the ceremony and the huggin'&kissin' we had all of 35 mins for the official wedding portraits, before the sun hid behind a layer of clouds to sink into the blue Caribbean sea. Quite a photo race through fort ruins and over stony stairways! And that with a seven months pregnant bride wrapped in 21 meters of fabric...

Looking back, I should have brought some make-up powder to ease the sweaty glow on the groom's brow, that sure would have saved me some Lightroom time. Also, looking back, I should have used the fill-in flash to get rid of the shadows in their faces.

The dinner and party were held in a huge tent spanning a tennis court. The steeply sloping roof posed a little bit of a challenge to my Metz AF36, but in the end I had more than enough for the album.

And thankfully, the internet upgrade on island came just when I needed it to upload a book to Blurb, to be  printed as the album. You can see the results here:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/3496929/efa0e22fa940987ec2146080dcfd2b7a7fa8b784

C&C very welcome!

Ciao again,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
vbloomfield Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

This is a fine book of wedding photos: genuine, lively, capturing the gaiety and emotion of the occasion. It's a nice middle ground between amateur point-and-shoot and overly stylized professional work (though clearly on the professional side). Congratulations!

Blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere

Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=victorb&commit=Search

Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Jeanadriane wrote:

Hi everybody,

It's been quite a while since I was active in this forum. Travelling got in the way, more specifically staying in a tiny Caribbean island where internet only recently got upgraded to a whopping 2Mb/sec. Max, that is - the average is half at best.

However, I did a wedding here! And actually, Anders, 't was me who was the wedding photographers when the Swedes tied the knot! Young Swedes who initially came here as volunteers, then landed in jobs, and now are starting a family.

I used to do weddings in a previous era, with Contax SLR's + Zeiss lenses, and later with the Nikon D70 + kitzoom. Now m43 is my only gear, and of course I was a little bit nervous about how it would work out. Well, it worked fine to me! I had bought the 12-35mm for the occasion and used it for all pics. What a joy to work with that lens! Excellent sharpness & colour rendering, good FLs, that essential f2.8 option, plus being able to stop down a little for better IQ and still stay at f4.5. To my surprise I made much more use of the 12mm than I'd ever thought I would. I never was much of a 24mm-gal, but now it often was exactly what I needed.

The circumstances were, uhm, interesting The wedding ceremony was held at the end of the afternoon in the roofless ruin of a 18th century church. Slanting but strong tropical sunlight, the proverbial extremes of bridal white and groomy black taken to a next level of DR-challenges by stark shadows and blindingly sunlit patches and walls. And hardly any room to move and find better vantage points and angles, for people were standing in the way everywhere. Over shoulders and between moving elbows my camera was peeping while the newly weds put the rings on eachother's fingers, tenderly wrapping full hands around the beloved fingers.

Please see the nest post for the remainder of this post...

Ciao, Jeanette

-- hide signature --

Very nice work Jeanette. And those names! Anna and Erik is about as Swedish as it gets. That's the main characters in an old and very well-known musical theater play, "Värmlänningarna", a traumatic love affair with happy ending of course. I guess people must have alluded to that in one or more of the wedding speeches.

Couldn't find a Wikipedia entry in English unfortunately. Probably a sign that this is something genuinely Swedish:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4rml%C3%A4nningarna

The couple I photographed were divorced the other day unfortunately, as you can see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51439089

I hope and think your Anna and Erik will have better luck.

 Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 15,952
EXCELLENT work, Jeanette!

And yes, fill in flash makes life so much easier in tropical sunlight (which is why I keep ranting on about the silly little Oly accessory flash).

What an excellent location too.

Cheers, geoff

 Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 11,400
Jeanette...

Nice job overall -- you captured a lot of emotion and the flavor of the event.

My only critique would be related to the reception shots. Your shutter speed was obviously too slow to avoid motion blur. When shooting action in such low light settings with flash, you need to either shoot in Manual Mode with a shutter speed of at least 1/60 Sec -- or shoot in an auto mode with the slow flash shutter speed set to 1/60.

Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect.

Judging from the reception shots you were probably shooting slower than 1/15 second which will always result in ghosting and light streaks.

Regardless, you did a really nice job on everything else.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

 daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Vinc T Regular Member • Posts: 179
Really nice! (NT)

No Text

wootpile Contributing Member • Posts: 621
Good! Better work than 90% of all the "pros"

Really excellent work in a difficult setting!

The most important lesson people should take from this job though is less about the nice image quality, and more about how you managed to get all those shots and angles.

Content is king and wedding s is the nr.1 scenario where this is more true than ever.

All the tech-head "wedding shooters" can carry 10 pounds of gear and have 3 assistants but miss or botch 50% of the shots (as in angles/poses/details) you made.

Very good stuff, thanks!

Jun2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
Very impressive

Very impressed by your skills.  M4/3+ 12-35mm obviously are good enough.

 Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,326
Great coverage -esp like the use of "mock panoramas" (nt)
-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

 wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
jfinite Veteran Member • Posts: 8,099
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Nice work under tough conditions.

 jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,053
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Very lovely book that really conveys the 'story' of the wedding.  And you would never know you were shooting under tough conditions - you made it look easy!

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

James A Rinner
James A Rinner Senior Member • Posts: 1,558
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Contax RTS...  The most comfortable camera I ever used.  It fit my hands perfectly!

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
James A. Rinner

 James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: EXCELLENT work, Jeanette!

Hen3ry wrote:

And yes, fill in flash makes life so much easier in tropical sunlight (which is why I keep ranting on about the silly little Oly accessory flash).

What an excellent location too.

Cheers, geoff

Thanks for the compliment, Geoff!!! Yes, fill-in flash and slow sync flash for me too are wonderful tools!

The location is on the 11 square miles island of Sint-Eustatius, the best kept secret of the Caribbean. I've been coming here since 1996, and kinda grew roots here. My book about it (social documentary) will be published this September. No m43 there, tho. It was captured a while ago with the lovely Konica Hexar. That, BTW, like the Oly's, had a clip-on flash and it was quite good, worked well for me. However, built-in tops it for sure.

Ciao,

Jeanette

 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Good! Better work than 90% of all the "pros"

wootpile wrote:

Really excellent work in a difficult setting!

The most important lesson people should take from this job though is less about the nice image quality, and more about how you managed to get all those shots and angles.

Content is king and wedding s is the nr.1 scenario where this is more true than ever.

All the tech-head "wedding shooters" can carry 10 pounds of gear and have 3 assistants but miss or botch 50% of the shots (as in angles/poses/details) you made.

Very good stuff, thanks!

THANKS for the kind words, Wootpile! Though, haha, I'm afraid I'm one of these "pros". But not a dedicated wedding photographer, just documentary/artist and doing weddings occasionally (in the past).

Every photographer has her/his own style and preferences, and for me it's not the formal aspect but the human / emotional. Documentary photographer, after all. ;)) I really loved the dedication of the two bridesmaids who were the bride's best friends. One of them also had designed and made the wedding dress. I wanted their love and friendship to show in the pics of the morning, when they were doing the bride's hair and dressing her.

In fact, the formal wedding portraits always are the hardest part for me, I'm not much into formalities. And for this wedding I really prepared seriously, exploring the possible spots, at the same light of day I would be taking the pics, studying angles and whatnot. Helps to be calm and focussed when the day is there, and it sure paid off this time.

Ciao,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Great coverage -esp like the use of "mock panoramas" (nt)

wolfie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Thanks, Wolfie! But what do you mean by "mock panoramas"???

The series of dinnertables that works like a WA-pic?

Cheers,

Jeanette

 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

jfinite wrote:

Nice work under tough conditions.

Thanks for the kind words, jfinite!

Ciao,

Jeanette

 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

vbloomfield wrote:

This is a fine book of wedding photos: genuine, lively, capturing the gaiety and emotion of the occasion. It's a nice middle ground between amateur point-and-shoot and overly stylized professional work (though clearly on the professional side). Congratulations!

Blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere

Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=victorb&commit=Search

Thanks a lot for the compliments, Victor!

And you have SIXTY FIVE Blurb books??? Lahwdahmuhcee! As soon as I'm back in the internet-saturated world, I'll have a good look!

Ciao,

Jeanette

 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Anders W wrote:

Very nice work Jeanette. And those names! Anna and Erik is about as Swedish as it gets. That's the main characters in an old and very well-known musical theater play, "Värmlänningarna", a traumatic love affair with happy ending of course. I guess people must have alluded to that in one or more of the wedding speeches.

Couldn't find a Wikipedia entry in English unfortunately. Probably a sign that this is something genuinely Swedish:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4rml%C3%A4nningarna

The couple I photographed were divorced the other day unfortunately, as you can see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51439089

I hope and think your Anna and Erik will have better luck.

Thanks for the kind words, Anders!

And hm, hm, interesting what you bring up! I can't recall any references in the wedding speeches, but then, some were in Swedish, and even with the ones in English I was too much focussed on the visual to have any interest in the spoken. However, I'll look up the wiki-info! Anna and Erik, BTW, also are typically Dutch names, tho not proverbial ones.

And yes, I've seen your sad story about the devastating Swedish divorce. Watched it with a big grin. And I too am pretty sure "my" Swedes will do better!

Ciao,

Jeanette

 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Jeanadriane OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
Re: Jeanette...

daddyo wrote:

Nice job overall -- you captured a lot of emotion and the flavor of the event.

My only critique would be related to the reception shots. Your shutter speed was obviously too slow to avoid motion blur. When shooting action in such low light settings with flash, you need to either shoot in Manual Mode with a shutter speed of at least 1/60 Sec -- or shoot in an auto mode with the slow flash shutter speed set to 1/60.

Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect.

Judging from the reception shots you were probably shooting slower than 1/15 second which will always result in ghosting and light streaks.

Regardless, you did a really nice job on everything else.

God Bless,

Greg

Thanks for the kind words, Daddyo, and thanks for the shutter speed lesson. However, concerning your phrase "Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect"... Well, yess, I dowant every picture of the evening to have that effect! It happens to be my trademark, as you can see in my gallery and on my website. And thankfully the couple had studied my website thouroughly, they knew exactly what kind of photographer they were hiring. Maybe you'll be relieved to hear that they were very happy with the results. 

Cheers,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads