Small Flowers - SX30 with Raynox 150

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
Stephen Barrett Contributing Member • Posts: 690
Small Flowers - SX30 with Raynox 150

Small Wildflower - SX30 with Raynox 150 - 33 shots 0.3 mm apart - focus-stacked with Zerene Stacker

Lamium - SX30 with Raynox 150 - 40 shots 0.5 mm apart -focus-stacked with Zerene Stacker

Red Currant Blossoms - SX30 with Raynox 150 - 22 shots 0.5 mm apart -focus-stacked with Zerene Stacker

Small Wildflower - SX30 with Raynox 150 - 30 shots 0.5 mm apart - focus-stacked with Zerene Stacker

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,711
Re: Small Flowers - SX30 with Raynox 150

The 4th one is my favorite, Stephen. Beautiful work, especially with the black backgrounds. You are our resident RAYNOX Stacking Master.

I've been working more with carpentry tools rather then photography tools lately (actually haven't had time to even touch my cameras since the turtle traffic jam image the other day). But in working with my machinery, I needed to order a Micro-Adjuster that attaches to the tools for precise additive distance adjustments from the blades/cutters. Although I haven't received it yet, I think I may be able to adapt it to my photo rails as well. Since adjustments can be dialed in down to .005 inch, this may turn in to an interesting project for stacking images. Of course I'll also have to find the time. I'll have to give myself a day off soon.

Again, beautiful images.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,085

The flower photos are excellent.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

OpticGlass Regular Member • Posts: 433

Very nice! #4 is excellent! Beautiful macro!

woody allen
woody allen Regular Member • Posts: 115

Well done,I like it a lot.

-- hide signature --

Regards...
Woody

woody allen's gear list:woody allen's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
OP Stephen Barrett Contributing Member • Posts: 690

Thanks, Vision.
    The micro-adjuster sounds good and you shouldn't need any finer than .005 inch.

Thanks for your comments j213m7, OptiGlass and woody allen.

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 8,540

Excellent series! Outstanding focus stacking resulting in wonderful images

Thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073

Beautiful work Stephen!  Were you working inside with a dark background or did you have to put up with the breezes?  I like the dark backgrounds but am wondering what they would be like with light backgrounds?  Thanks for sharing.

Murry

-- hide signature --

Thanks Augustin Man and MurryG.
These images were all indoors.  I use a piece of black cotton cloth, loosely lining the inside of a small pail, as a light box.  Nothing fancy.  Even the slightest breeze can make it too difficult outside, although I have managed it with some tiny flowers surrounded by grass.  Even indoors there can be movement as delicate stems sag.  (That is why the red currant blossoms are not framed very well.)  I got around the sagging problem with the lamium image by suspending the flower upside down, which also helped to see under the flower's cap.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads