D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
Colorado CJ Contributing Member • Posts: 502
D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!

A few months ago I bough the WU-1B wireless adapter for my D600. After downloading Nikons App for Android, I was very sorely disappointed.

Nikon's app is VERY limiting and only features a shutter, there is no adjustment to the camera settings available.

Fast forward to today. I was doing some searching and found another App, called DSLR Dashboard. After installing the app, I was blown away! EVERY CAMERA SETTING is adjustable through this app. It is simple and straight forward to use. The interface is very well thought out and simple.

My Nexus 7 will now go with me on all my photo outing as the WU-1B is an incredible addition to the D600 with this software.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EYeye Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!

Do you know if this will work with Windows 7 phones? Wu-1b does not.

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D80 Nikon D750 +5 more
OP Colorado CJ Contributing Member • Posts: 502

I think it is only for Android and Apple based systems right now.  If your phone has an app store, you might try searching for it.  It is called, DSLR Dashboard.

JasonED Contributing Member • Posts: 945

Nice!

Please get them to make an iPad friendly version.

-- hide signature --

The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

windplr Forum Member • Posts: 53

I don't see anywhere that DSLR dashboard works with wireless.  it only mentions USB OTG.  But I guess that is not the case since you are using it that way.  Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

It DOES work wirelessly.  All you have to do once it is loaded is hit the back button and it will give you the options of wu-1a/b or network, or USB.

You have to have the latest firmware installed on the D600 as well.

esanker Junior Member • Posts: 31

Thanks for the tip.  I was looking for an alternative app for the longest time.  This might be the answer I'm looking for.

esanker's gear list:esanker's gear list
Nikon D600 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 Color Skopar SL II +2 more
windplr Forum Member • Posts: 53

Excellent.  Thank you for the update!

rmiller85
rmiller85 New Member • Posts: 19

Colorado CJ wrote:

I think it is only for Android and Apple based systems right now.  If your phone has an app store, you might try searching for it.  It is called, DSLR Dashboard.

I didn't find this in the iOS app store, is it android only? It'd be great to have an alternative to the nikon app, which only barely works (at best).

atrhys Forum Member • Posts: 99

I've been thinking about getting the WU-1B adaptor but read lots of negative reviews regarding its connectivity. Does this app stay connected better than the Nikon app or is this issue not related to the apps?

atrhys's gear list:atrhys's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more

atrhys wrote:

I've been thinking about getting the WU-1B adaptor but read lots of negative reviews regarding its connectivity. Does this app stay connected better than the Nikon app or is this issue not related to the apps?

I only played with it for about an hour last night.  I had excellent conntectivity during the whole time.

I DID have to uninstall the Nikon app to get it to connect and stay connected though as the Nikon App tried to connect when i plugged in the WU-1B

Dr Bob
Dr Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

Colorado CJ wrote:

atrhys wrote:

I only played with it for about an hour last night.  I had excellent conntectivity during the whole time.

I DID have to uninstall the Nikon app to get it to connect and stay connected though as the Nikon App tried to connect when i plugged in the WU-1B

when you say it works with every camera setting, is that right?  Sounds a really good way to go. I don't suppose you can see Live View via the app can you. Keen to hear more about this. Can you update us on your experiences.

Ta

Andy

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Placation101 Regular Member • Posts: 455

Dr Bob wrote:

Colorado CJ wrote:

atrhys wrote:

when you say it works with every camera setting, is that right?  Sounds a really good way to go. I don't suppose you can see Live View via the app can you. Keen to hear more about this. Can you update us on your experiences.

Ta

Andy

Well this is good to hear, maybe I will have to get one after all.

the cam ranger is at the level all of this wireless and smart device functionality really should be. Check that out too because that is about the best I have seen. Live view and all.

Dr Bob wrote:

Ta

Andy

Yes, it works with EVERY camera setting.  It even has built in settings that the camera doesn't have, such as focus stacking.  The focus stacking setting actually lets the app take over the camera and adjusts focus for each frame for as many frames as you want to shoot.

And it DOES do Live View, that was the main reason I wanted the WU-1B.

Here is a screen shot using my Nexus 7.  I was actually inside the house when I took this picture.  My camera was outside about 50 feet away as I was controlling the camera through my tablet 

Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,758

No DSLR dashboard found in the App Store.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for but is there an iOS version? Cannot find one in the apple app store

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +9 more
Michael Kaplan
Michael Kaplan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,221

DslrDashboard is an Android only application for controlling DSLR camera connected with USB to your Android device.

https://code.google.com/p/dslrdashboard/

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +18 more
Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Anything similar for iOS. Mostly wanting to use it to be able to do live view with an iPad when using tilt-shift lenses.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +9 more
Nikon2011
Nikon2011 Regular Member • Posts: 242

IS THERE APERTURE control for video ??

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
Nikon2011
Nikon2011 Regular Member • Posts: 242

i have the same setup

d600+nexus7 now ordered the wireless thingie and already installed the android app + tested via cable, nice

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads