NEX-7 Grip Peeling Warning

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions
Vinter
Vinter Regular Member • Posts: 309
NEX-7 Grip Peeling Warning

Don't slack off on sending your camera out for warranty repair, I covered mine with a half case because I didn't' want to be without my camera for a few different things.

Sent it out at about 13 months and a few days into me owning the camera and it's going to cost me $148 to fix now if I want the grips repaired.

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Vinter's gear list:Vinter's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7S Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
El Matadurr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: NEX-7 Grip Peeling Warning

The loaner camera Sony sent me when I was getting the sensor cleaning function repaired had a grip that was peeling. I understand how annoying it feels. However, if you use a half-case most of the time, doesn't it cover most of the grip? If so, I wouldn't bother paying that much to repair it unless you are wanting to sell your NEX-7 on down the road.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
Cailean Gallimore Veteran Member • Posts: 6,083

I put a half-case on mine on day one, so all looks OK, but I really don't think that Sony should be charging anyone for the repair.

Vinter
OP Vinter Regular Member • Posts: 309

Ya I'm not a huge fan of the half case I have, I only put it on to avoid further peeling. Selling it at some point would probably be nice but with prob close to 15k shots I won't pay the $150 for the repair. If they won't do the right thing and fix it free (its an obvious defect on their part).... I also probably wouldn't buy Sony ever again at the same time though.

Just figured I'd give people a heads up to know how much it'd cost them to fix it if they were delaying sending it in.

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Sony RX100 IV Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7S Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,211

I agree with the opinion that Sony should repair peeling bodies even after the warranty has expired. This is a known design & production fault that should never have been allowed to get past the prototype stage of development.

This fault might have been acceptable in cheap P&S cameras but the NEX 7 is NOT cheap ! 

-- hide signature --

Keith C

hogeye Regular Member • Posts: 102

"Don't slack off on sending your camera out for warranty repair,.."

Good advice.  Thanks.

hogeye's gear list:hogeye's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
eths
eths Contributing Member • Posts: 775

This is a known problem. I sent mine to Sony at 11 months and 3 weeks, and they fixed it for free. The bummer was that Sony Germany required almost a month.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
adymitruk
adymitruk Contributing Member • Posts: 500

Good thing in Canada we get 2 years' worth of warranty. I can wait until winter to send mine out. Then I'm getting a half case

adymitruk's gear list:adymitruk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +12 more
S3ZAi
S3ZAi Contributing Member • Posts: 885

adymitruk wrote:

Good thing in Canada we get 2 years' worth of warranty. I can wait until winter to send mine out. Then I'm getting a half case

Yeah, we have 2 years in the Netherlands too. I thought it was like that all through the EU, because the EU decided everything should have 2 years warranty. Mine is peeling just a tiny bit at the corners, even though I have it always with me. I might send it in in the winter, not much going on to shoot here at that time anyway.

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
eths
eths Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Depending on the exact circumstances we have up to  three years, as required by EU law.

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,214

Seems a bit mean of them. It's surely a known manufacturing defect (mine peeled).

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R +21 more
Vinter

seachicken2000 wrote:

Seems a bit mean of them. It's surely a known manufacturing defect (mine peeled).

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

Ya, I've contacted them on twitter yesterday, and I'm going to call here shortly when they open (the repair center)

debating selling all my camera gear and moving to nikon or something if they don't fix it free..

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Vinter

50 minutes on the phone, transferred from the repair center to the international #, then I spoke with 4 different people, and now they said they'll call me back within the day.

heh

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

ny rinz Junior Member • Posts: 35

I bit of superglue and no more grip issue for me. But I agree with the gripes!

Vinter

I had originally glued a tiny bit of it, but it began coming up in all different areas. I paid $1200 for the body, I deserve to have some bit of quality from their flagship device... not superglue and duct tape.

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,138

Vinter wrote:

I had originally glued a tiny bit of it, but it began coming up in all different areas. I paid $1200 for the body, I deserve to have some bit of quality from their flagship device... not superglue and duct tape.

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Nikon D1 had a huge problem with this as well.  I imagine they learned from it as I don't think the problem is as frequent with later models.  Hopefully Sony does the same.  I would think they would replace it for free or reduced cost, I understand they can't cover a wear item indefinitely, but it seems prudent they would extend that out a few years.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Vinter

So a call back and they said it will be repaired for free that it is under a "program" , probably a program called "if someone gives us a hard time on something that is our fault we'll cave in eventually" hah

this experience leaves a slightly bad taste in my mouth with Sony, but at least the end result is the right result.

-- hide signature --

www.joshsouzaphotos.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads