How to tell which black ink Epson 3880 is using?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
dperez Regular Member • Posts: 306
How to tell which black ink Epson 3880 is using?

I've got an Epson 3880.  Which has both matte and gloss black inks.

HOW do I tell which black ink is currently selected?  I don't see anything in the status monitor.  I don't see anything in the LFP remote panel.

I know there's a thing in the printer menu to SWITCH inks, but WHICH ink is currently in use?

I normally wouldn't care, but I've gotta print a bunch of images, some on gloss and some on matte.  I don't want to have the printer switching back and forth so I'd like to know what's currently in use...

canon person Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: How to tell which black ink Epson 3880 is using?

The printer uses the standard black ink UNLESS you configure the print menu to print on matte paper.  It is done automatically.

Canon Person

canon person's gear list:canon person's gear list
Hasselblad X1D
Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674

dperez wrote:

I've got an Epson 3880.  Which has both matte and gloss black inks.

HOW do I tell which black ink is currently selected?  I don't see anything in the status monitor.  I don't see anything in the LFP remote panel.

It should say on the printer's LCD screen, either photo black or matte black, when the printer is in a ready state.

Brian A

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,863

In addition to that, the LCD on the printer 'stipples' the graphic for the cartridge that is not in use.

If you have both glossy/lustre and matte prints to do, DEFINITELY batch them up together to prevent excess ink switching ($$).

OP dperez Regular Member • Posts: 306

Good grief - THIS is why I have to come in here to ask questions!  I tried the monitor, and the remote monitor and printing the nozzle check and all that stupidity.

Then I went over to the printer and SWITCHED the display trying to find the "switching the inks" thing, presuming it would tell me,

AND NEVER LOOKED AT THE "NORMAL" DISPLAY...  And once I DID LOOK, it's on there not just stippling the one that's not in use, BUT IN BIG BLACK LETTERS!!!

There are days when I truly AM the dumbest human that ever lived!  <heavy sigh>

Thanks y'all.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,863

That's the funniest thing I've read all week

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads