Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,362
Read this before you buy a Fuji X.
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
ahuyevshi Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Re: Read this before you buy a Fuji X.

After reading the blog post I'm not sure what to say. While you definitely make some valid points your conclusion statement

"But DSLRs are not for sport and wildlife shooters only. If you have young kids you are definitely better off with an entry level DSLR compared to even the best mirror less camera money can buy today."

is so far from the truth that I don't even know what to say. I'm a Fuji Fanboi but I know it's limitations and for that I have a 5D2 with a couple great L lenses. I don't plan on shooting motorsports or birds in flight with the X100/X100s or my XE1 but my daughter is 5 and I've never had a problem capturing her with a mirrorless..

X100

XE1

XPRO

EP2 Manual Focus

ahuyevshi's gear list:ahuyevshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
tazmac
tazmac Regular Member • Posts: 360

Generating traffic? 

Mr Gadget Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

Well then, I guess I was mistaken that Fujifilm might offer me an option to the quality/design issues that Nikon has on offer as of late.  Looks like Fujifilm dosent offer much over my old D2x & D100. Thanks for clarifying the situation for me.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,179

I agree that buyers should be aware of the limitations of current mirrorless cameras but this format is still in its infancy when compared to the much longer history of DSLRs which had their origins in film SLRs.

OK mirrorless interchangeable cameras evolved from P&S but they then encountered problems with AF which was not such an issue with P&S cameras which had enormous DOF due to the use of small sensors.

When current mirrorless cameras have cracked the problem of effective OS-PDAF they will take a big leap forward & the two separate formats will merge into one.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,407
Fine...

...If you want to lug around a DSLR whilst on vacation -- be my guest.

I use a pair of Nikon DSLRs for shooting sports and business events.  But I am more than pleased to leave them at home when I travel.  Have used an X100/X10 pair (now an X100s/X20) for travel and they work wonderfully.  Recently purchased an X-Pro1 and a few lenses -- only complaint is that the lenses are larger than M-mount lenses -- but that's the price you pay for AF/focus-by-wire and lens/camera commanded aperture.  The point of comparison there is a Leica M9 kit (5 primes 18mm - 90mm) which I also use on travel.

So I see a bunch of subjective conclusions.  They are obviously 100% correct for the OP.  And that's fine.  Now...Could the OP survive photographically in a strange land with just a Leica M film camera and a single 35mm lens? 

P.S.  Do at least one refresh on his page to get his count up.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +36 more
baobob
baobob Veteran Member • Posts: 8,604

very interesting post and answer, beautiful shots!

Just shows that the features of the tool are not the main point, which remains...the photographer and the way he/she adapts the tool to situations, desires, ambitions...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
Lyle From Canada Senior Member • Posts: 1,512

Why anyone cares what blogs like this have to say is beyond me. Develop your own opinions, make up your own mind, and get on with our day.

-- hide signature --

Fuji x-pro1 with 14, 35 & 18-55, fuji x100 and WA adapter, fuji x10

Bernie Ess Veteran Member • Posts: 7,018
your conclusion statement

"But DSLRs are not for sport and wildlife shooters only. If you have young kids you are definitely better off with an entry level DSLR compared to even the best mirror less camera money can buy today."

is so far from the truth that I don't even know what to say. I'm a Fuji Fanboi but I know it's limitations and for that I have a 5D2 with a couple great L lenses. I don't plan on shooting motorsports or birds in flight with the X100/X100s or my XE1 but my daughter is 5 and I've never had a problem capturing her with a mirrorless..

He said "if you have young kids you are better off with an etry level  DSLR" and he is perfectly right. Of course you will get sharp in focus shots with an X-E1, specially if you prefocus, but the X-E1 will make you miss much more shots than a DSLR. I have been using DSLRs since the first years (2003) and have never had the issues I am having with mirrorless (Nex and Fuji) constantly. Sometimes the AF will simply not lock on a face because the light is flat or slightly in the shadow where the DSLR will have no problem.

Also when focussing, the viewfinder always pumps and blocks for maybe 0,5 - 1s and makes focussing a sort of a hit and miss game.

I like the Fuji for a lot of reasons, but it is not a very reactive camera.

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,856

Not quite sure what the point of the article is.  It is common knowledge that when you buy a camera you are buying into a system.  The Fuji X system is nowhere near as complete as either Canon or Nikon.  Fir now it is very much a niche camera, but it for me it fills a very important niche--something easy to carry around that offers superior image quality.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +24 more
BigJ2013 New Member • Posts: 15

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=1991

-

Joachim
http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com

I read it and I advise others not to bother. A complete waste of time.

mjl699
mjl699 Regular Member • Posts: 309

OP has made good points. What matters is what weight you give them when selecting a camera for your own use.

DOF: Agree, 35mm has the advantage over APS-C to get a narrow DOF. But I can still shoot a subject's eye in focus and their nose and ears out of focus with the background a complete blur with the Fuji 35mm. And in the converse situation, Fuji has the advantage - shooting with the 14mm with a small aperture (high f-number) its hard to get anything out of focus ... Shoot your preference in terms of lenses.

Features: Agree, DLSRs have lots of features, some are even useful (whilst I personally don't shoot video much, for those that do DSLRs, especially pricey ones, appear to be a lot better than the alternatives). But the basics of photography are aperture, shutter speed, metering, ISO control, and some related options (bracketing, multiple exposures, timed exposures). In my opinion the XP1 does a lot of these as well or (due to control layout) better than many DSLRs.

Focussing: Yep, hands down for DSLRs in terms of speed vs XP1. Shame that's the trade off that I have to make today, but the XP1 is still very usable in this respect.

So I agree that DSLRs remain king for some forms of photography. 10 years ago they were king for almost all types of photography. Now the're not unchallenged. What's to argue?

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Albert Valentino Senior Member • Posts: 5,875

If you have been around a while and know what you shoot and understand cameas and lenses and do your homework/research then moving to mirrorless is an informed decision. For myself the limitation is basically about wildlife which I knew going in. I also knew the difference in focus speed but so far that has not been a real issue for me.

What the article left out is the intangible aspect. That is the sheer joy of using these cameras. For myself, with 6 lenses for Nikon, at least before I bought the XE1, I could shoot anything but the Fuji brought the joy of photogrpahy back in my life. I know I am not alone in feeling that way and I think that is one of the greatest vitues of these cameas. My DSLR was a tool, my Fuji is a toy, in the most positive sense of the word, as it just makes photogrpahy fun again. We may not have many lenses choices but the choices are all quality that bring out the best in the wonderful sensor. The great lenses bring out the best in a the sensor, and the photogrpaher brings out the best in the camera.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +10 more
J GGG New Member • Posts: 14

I've a Fuji X....!

I've read the article...was it about photography or paleontology?

Would I buy a Fuji X? YES!!!

I don't photograph sports or birds...and I do love my Canon Mark D1x with 24-105 a 15 Zeiss Planar and a 70-210 f4 stabilized...!

I wouldn't dream taking my Fuji to under heavy rain...as I wouldn't take my D1X to a souk...

I think it's a question of knowing what you intend to do with your material...and enjoying it!

I'm sort of "old fashioned" and I love my old "dinossaurs" (Leica M6 Exacta 6x6 and Nikon F3 with waist-level finder), and I weep for my Polaroids, but what comes from the sensors of my Fujis are absolutely fantastic!!!

J GGG's gear list:J GGG's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8

tazmac wrote:

Generating traffic? 

He is blogging on a Wordpress site which is free, it dosent look like he is generating traffic for money. Looks like he is just a guy sharing his photography and experiences, which is what blogs are for.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
Show Low, Arizona

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=1991

-

Joachim
http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com

It would be better if you had posted a short summary rather than just a link. Also you might want to consider turning on the comments option on your Wordpress site so that you can have a direct dialog with your readers.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
Show Low, Arizona

ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,687

Based on your opinion Leica should close up shop and cease selling cameras right now, no questions asked. After all they don't offer high speed long zoom lenses (let alone anything longer than 135mm), through the lens viewing or autofocus of any type.  They are King of the Dinosaurs.

Any idiot can pick up a modern camera, push a button and create a snapshot.  Photography as an art form is about the person behind the gadget and their ability, not the bells and whistles in the gadget.

Every one is entitled to their opinion.  I read all I want and take from them what I consider useful information.  I respectfully have decided, in my opinion, that your personal linking of your blog post to a forum post created by yourself is nothing more than trolling for site hits in the lowest way possible. In that case I deem you a lower level of blogger than even Ken Rockwell. While you both appear to blog for nothing more than shock value he at least doesn't post on forums linking his own blog with headers like the New York Post would use.

Enjoy your SLR's and don't forget, "P" mode stands for Professional.

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Gunston Gun
Gunston Gun Regular Member • Posts: 352

too bad, i have already got my X-Pro1 last august...

Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM +7 more
smallLebowski Contributing Member • Posts: 996
Re: OP posts in different forums the same thing. Be aware! (nt)

No text.

ahuyevshi Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Like you my first dslr was a 10d and the xe1 focuses much faster than that thing ever did. I'll never get rid of my 5d2 but a general statement that you need a dslr to shoot kids and pets is false.

I haven't shot paid work in years and I'd rather always have a camera with me than one I'd rather leave in the car because I don't feel like dragging a bag with several heavy lenses.

A few weeks ago I bought a d7100 with a 16-85 because I wanted to see if a lighter dslr rig would work for me. After a full weekend of dragging it around I realized why I was happy with a mirrorless. I'd rather enjoy outings with my kid than fiddling with settings and spending a huge amount of time behind the vf.

I'm a full manual shooter and having shutter and aperture available at my finger tips is important for me as it allows me to get the shot and move on.

As you said it's a tool, I'm happy with mine.

ahuyevshi's gear list:ahuyevshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads