7100 - 1.3 crop?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
Big45acp
Big45acp Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: 7100 - 1.3 crop?

I think it is a great feature. I don't use it all the time, but I don't shoot my 50 f/1.4 at 1.4 all the time either. I probably don't use any "feature" 100% of the time. It's a setting like any other. It has  its place and usefulness.

krikman Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: What about related exposure measure ?

JJ Winkel wrote:

Does it measure exposure using the full DX view, or only the 1.3x cropped view ?
--
JJ.

Yes, the whole thing effectively acts like 2x crop camera, including exposure and auto-ISO.

sr71 Junior Member • Posts: 46

The crop mode may only help to have more frames possible to shot with highest speeds.
Effectifly I prefer to crop the part of the picture myself from the full picture and do not need that
more pictures fit to the buffer.
I think it is a feature to compensate the small buffer. period.

If you need high speed shooting with a lot of pictures in RAW buy a D4 or shoot in jpg.

sr71 wrote:

The crop mode may only help to have more frames possible to shot with highest speeds.
Effectifly I prefer to crop the part of the picture myself from the full picture and do not need that

If you need high speed shooting with a lot of pictures in RAW buy a D4 or shoot in jpg.

No, you're wrong. I prefer crop while shoot and this crop mode is great. For most pictures 24mp is overkill.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,746
scissors

krikman wrote:

sr71 wrote:

No, you're wrong. I prefer crop while shoot and this crop mode is great. For most pictures 24mp is overkill.

Crop mode doesn't really change pixel density from 24mp files...it only changes your framing and FPS ability. It really is just taking digital scissors to a larger file sensor...fast and in-camera so you don't notice. It is still a very helpful feature to some. Nothing wrong with using a smaller sensor if it helps.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

JJ Winkel Senior Member • Posts: 1,387

krikman wrote:

JJ Winkel wrote:

Does it measure exposure using the full DX view, or only the 1.3x cropped view ?
--
JJ.

Yes, the whole thing effectively acts like 2x crop camera, including exposure and auto-ISO.

Isn't that contradictory, as if really acting as a 2x crop would imply using only the 1.3x view to calculate exposition, leaving out the part that is not used and that could negatively influence the exposition measurement ?

But I guess the exposition sensor is not masked accordingly, or is it ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,920
Re: Higher buffer capacity mosswings...

JimPearce wrote:

I don't think the whole buffer clears any faster, although it is true that the fps when the buffer is full improves from 3 fps to 4 fps. So, I guess in a sense (partial clearing measured in shots) in which the buffer clears faster.

That was my point, perhaps not clearly made.  Smaller file sizes, greater number of frames before slowdown, less time to write each smaller file, greater throughput.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more

JJ Winkel wrote:

Isn't that contradictory, as if really acting as a 2x crop would imply using only the 1.3x view to calculate exposition, leaving out the part that is not used and that could negatively influence the exposition measurement ?

But I guess the exposition sensor is not masked accordingly, or is it ?

-- hide signature --

JJ.

1.3x crop mode acts just like a smaller sensor with larger viewfinder, i.e.:

- exposure measurment only image part, including flash measuring.
- Auto ISO shutter speed increased.

It confused me a bit first time, but after got used I like this behaivour. The only thing I miss is outer area darkening in viewfinder just like in D4.

For me additional area in viewfinder afford more creativity on-site, and less headashes in PP.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads