RX200...too good to be true?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609
Re: if true

Marti58 wrote:

we soon will see RX100 price drops, retailers will know its coming and clearing stock will start.

The price already dropped in Japan.  The RX100 hovers at $430 and the RX1 at $2100.

MrDouble Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: RX200...too good to be true?

140mm at f2.2 is hard to believe if sensor and overall size is to be the same, but if they somehow pull this off, it will raise the bar again for large sensor compact.

Won't be surprised if this comes in at USD800.

MrDouble's gear list:MrDouble's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,586

Liz Z. wrote:

soapstar wrote:

Liz Z. wrote:

Spade357 wrote:

Rumors only, but 90% of all the rumors on the net now a days are true. Damn, who needs Nikon A and Ricoh GR. http://photorumors.com/2013/05/05/rumors-sony-rx200-coming-in-june-with-a-built-in-pop-up-viewfinder/

90% of statistics are false! (For example, I just made that one up.)

Liz

yes but statistically 37% of guesses are statistically significant and 50% are within a margin of error.

Is that why I can correctly predict the sex of a pregnant woman's baby at least 50% of the time?

No, that's just your psychic powers working their magic.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony a7
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932

MrDouble wrote:

140mm at f2.2 is hard to believe if sensor and overall size is to be the same, but if they somehow pull this off, it will raise the bar again for large sensor compact.

it would be physically impossible for a camera the size of RX100. The front lens would have a theoretical minimum diameter of 24mm; in real life, especially with a complex (WA to tele zoom) lens design, size will be significantly more than 24mm.  A much bigger lens for RX200 seems very unlikely, so at best the f2.2 is a typo ...

NIK11 Senior Member • Posts: 2,827

technic wrote:

MrDouble wrote:

it would be physically impossible for a camera the size of RX100. The front lens would have a theoretical minimum diameter of 24mm; in real life, especially with a complex (WA to tele zoom) lens design, size will be significantly more than 24mm.  A much bigger lens for RX200 seems very unlikely, so at best the f2.2 is a typo .

If the rumour has substance, could it be some sort of trickery with seamless optical to digital zoom? Say 70mm @ F2.2 plus digital 2x?

Nick

tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244
Maybe a 1" RX line?

If the RX200 is an addition and not a successor...

And considerably larger because of the fast long lens...

It could be true.

Why should Sony limit themselves to one camera using the very good 1" sensor in the RX100?

If Sony came out with such a (larger) camera I might buy one in addition to my RX100.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
tkpatric Senior Member • Posts: 1,714

I hope they get the image stabilization right!

tkpatric's gear list:tkpatric's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony a6000
NIK11 Senior Member • Posts: 2,827
Re: Maybe a 1" RX line?

tomtom50 wrote:

If the RX200 is an addition and not a successor...

And considerably larger because of the fast long lens...

It could be true.

Why should Sony limit themselves to one camera using the very good 1" sensor in the RX100?

Yes, no one else has offered any serious challenge to the RX100 concept, so far.

On a personal note, I would prefer a slightly larger size version of RX100 for my ageing big fumbly hands, and if it allows more adventurous optics, bring it on.

We'll see.

Nick

sjprg
sjprg Senior Member • Posts: 1,884

What would the effect of the new curved sensors produce in a compact RX100 replacement?

-- hide signature --

Paul

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Canon EOS M Sony a7R +12 more
Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,585
that would be simply impossible

Spade357 wrote:

Rumors only, but 90% of all the rumors on the net now a days are true. Damn, who needs Nikon A and Ricoh GR. http://photorumors.com/2013/05/05/rumors-sony-rx200-coming-in-june-with-a-built-in-pop-up-viewfinder/

Yeah, not going to happen. At least not in a camera of RX100 size. A sensor of similar size (1") and a 28-140mm f/1.4-2.2 lens would result in a lens of pretty monstrous proportions. Definitely not pocketable. Look at Panasonic LX7 (f/1.4-f/2.3), Olympus XZ-1 or XZ-2 (f/1.8-f/2.5) and extrapolate from there...

Of course, I wish that I'm going to be proved wrong and Sony has achieved some unforeseen technological breakthrough to make such a camera possible...

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX20 Sony a7 Samsung NX1 +27 more
jayliu Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: that would be simply impossible

I think this will not be a replacement of RX100, but another new model, RX200, that has aps-c sensor , which will be larger than rx100 but somehow smaller to rx1.

Seeing how Richo GR as main competitor.

jayliu's gear list:jayliu's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 NEX5R Sony RX100 III
tanmancs Regular Member • Posts: 134

I also heard that RX2 (RX1 replacement is scheduled for first week of July).

tanmancs's gear list:tanmancs's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-300 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony a6000
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Well...

my guess...a bit bigger...1/2 way to G15 size...same sensor, and change the 2.2 to 2.8.   I'd say it's faintly possible...and I'd like it !!

Sony is making progress where others are less so.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
xooperman Regular Member • Posts: 126
My only complains about the rx100 wer

The JPEG processing isn't particularly lovely at 1:1 viewing

Which means that ther real resolution is not 20 mpx. but interpolation. Same as with the interpolation tool that photoshop offers.

This is something inherent to all sony sensors.

and has been pointed by dpreview and dxomark.

If is not 20 detailed and focused megapixels then is not 20mpix.

I wouldnt mind either a in- built gradient filter

-- hide signature --

One photo a day keep you always awake!

BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: My only complains about the rx100 wer

Those rumors are 100% BS.  Even the most deluded fanboy should stay far away from this stuff.  I'm sure the RX100's replacement will be a fine camera, but those lens specs are pie-in-the-sky, and a pop-up vf doesn't even make sense.  Fail.

notime Contributing Member • Posts: 928

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but since Sony has been releasing the 20mp HX cameras, I don't seem them going down with the RX line.
Also, Sony is not really known for making fast zoom lenses (ie Sony only has a 300mm f/2.8 but Canon has a 400mm f/2.8. And then on the NEX side, there are no fast zoom lenses, unlike Oly and Panasonic m4/3..

cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,834

notime wrote:

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but since Sony has been releasing the 20mp HX cameras, I don't seem them going down with the RX line.
Also, Sony is not really known for making fast zoom lenses (ie Sony only has a 300mm f/2.8 but Canon has a 400mm f/2.8. And then on the NEX side, there are no fast zoom lenses, unlike Oly and Panasonic m4/3..

A "zoom" lens has a variable focal length. The 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8 are primes, they have one focal length, that's it. Kinda like the 35mm on the RX1.

And Sony does have several A mount fast zooms, 28-75 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 G full frame lenses, and the 16-50 f2.8 DT lens. Along with a 24-70 f2.8 Zeiss lens, however the responsibilities in that relationship work.  Whether or not this experience translates into the ability to make a small (rx100 size) fast zoom in the range rumored isn't really something I know a lot about. And it does seem odd that they haven't produced a fast zoom for the NEX, it's possible they can't figure out how to get something like a 16-50 f2.8 DT lens any smaller. The current RX100's aperture goes from f1.8 to much smaller pretty quick when you start zooming.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6300 +19 more
lenshoarder Contributing Member • Posts: 609

xooperman wrote:

The JPEG processing isn't particularly lovely at 1:1 viewing

Which means that ther real resolution is not 20 mpx. but interpolation. Same as with the interpolation tool that photoshop offers.

This is something inherent to all sony sensors.

and has been pointed by dpreview and dxomark.

If is not 20 detailed and focused megapixels then is not 20mpix.

I wouldnt mind either a in- built gradient filter

It has nothing to do with JPEG processing.  This is nothing inherent to just Sony sensors but to the vast majority of sensors today.  By your definition then the only widely available cameras that are acceptable are the Sigma Foveons.  Every other camera doesn't have "detailed and focused megapixels" they are rated for due to how they process color.  They interpolate.  The actual effect resolution is lower than their marketing numbers.  Only things like Foveon, a Bayer sensor that's been de-bayered to black/white and 3 chip sensors have "detailed and focused megapixels".

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

BingoCharlie wrote:

Those rumors are 100% BS.  Even the most deluded fanboy should stay far away from this stuff.  I'm sure the RX100's replacement will be a fine camera, but those lens specs are pie-in-the-sky, and a pop-up vf doesn't even make sense.  Fail.

Hate to agree, but I must. Until there is something more substantial, this thread should probably be deleted. Let photorumors.com take the flak.

supeyugin1 Contributing Member • Posts: 835

May be true with 1/1.7 sensor size (or smaller), and bigger size of the camera. They want to compete with Panasonic LX7 and Samsung EX2F here.

supeyugin1's gear list:supeyugin1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Pentax Q7 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads