Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Just picked up a used Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 in Leica M-mount from fellow Dpreview member Sean Lancaster - I've always just loved the retro look of the lens on the NEX, and also liked the look of the shots coming from it - I wanted something a little wider than my Konica 40mm F1.8 as an alternate walkaround lens, but something nice and small too.  I'll use it as a walkaround sometimes, stopped down for nice sharp results, but also nice knowing I can use it wide open when I need fast.  I find it sufficiently sharp wide open, with a nice dreamy bokeh and look that has character.  For now, the test shots were just a few snaps around the yard in the late afternoon to make sure nothing was damaged in shipping, but I figured I'd share them anyway in case anyone was looking for some snaps from this lens.  I've posted a few of the stopped down daytime shots at full res, just because most samples I found full size were more wide open (which is very useful) but it might be useful to see a few 'normal' daytime shots at smaller apertures too - the lens is very nicely sharp.  I also stuck to only JPGs straight from camera...I'm sure an extra ounce or two might be able to be eeked out if shooting RAW and post processing correctly and carefully.

A full res shot at a slightly stopped down aperture

Also a full res shot stopped down to bright sunny day levels

Another full res looking down the street from my front yard, stopped down

Down the side of my house, very bright sun, stopped down

Just a quick resized snap of my cat, wide open

Another resized shot just for fun - slightly stopped down

This blue jay landed on my wall so I wanted to see how fast I could move the focus ring

This one just for fun, because a neighbor happened to be driving by in a very expensive car - an SLS AMG Cabriolet

Anyway - I'll have much better samples from this lens as I go, but I just got it yesterday and was excited to just walk outside and take a few quick test snaps - and wanted to share the excitement of getting a new lens!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
dark13star
dark13star Senior Member • Posts: 1,389
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

I like this lens. Unfortunately, the aperture ring on mine broke an I haven't found anyone to repair it yet. I tried myself, but only made things worse.

Be careful with the lens. In researching the problem that happened to mine, it seems common enough that there are several posts online. The ring popped over one of the tiny ball bearings and was crooked on the barrel and unable to turn.

 dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
jack scholl
jack scholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Enjoy your new lens Justin!

Jack

-- hide signature --
 jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
mkandil Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Very nice . is it the SC or MC version ?

How did you find the manual focus ?

thanks for sharing

 mkandil's gear list:mkandil's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +3 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Veteran Member • Posts: 9,812
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Nice to see you picking up this lens. And you are correct, its main usage is wide open.

Funny to see that Sean gave up the lens - I expect this lens to become a popular lens for an FF Nex in the future.

I picked up the SAL35F18 soon after I picked up the CV35/1.4, and have, like others, mainly used the CV35 as a low-light, shallow DOF, nice bokey 35mm lens. The SAL35F18, in comparison, is much sharper stopped down. (Both don't have OSS).

CV35/1.4 at f/5.6

CV35/1.4 at f/5.6

Same scene, with the E20 at f/13, for maximum DOF.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

 blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +33 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm generally pretty careful with my lenses and gear, but will try to be cognizant of the aperture ring to not be too physical with it.  It seems to spin very nicely and has nice click indents...so far so good.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Thank you Jack [nt]
-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Well, I hate to sound stupid - but I'm not sure!  I can't find any markings on the lens to note which version it is - it may be in the serial number but I don't know how to decode that.  I didn't get the original box, so may have to ask Sean which version it is...unless there's another way to tell.

I like the manual focus action - it took just a few minutes to get used to moving the finger indent rather than reaching for the focus ring itself - but once I got used to where it was, it was a cinch - and the action is good - just enough resistance to not overspin the focus, but not too much resistance that would make it stiff.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Thank you for the additional information and comments.  I am looking forward to shooting with it some more - the biggest chance for me will be in late June when I'm headed to Disney World for a vacation - just the type of place I enjoy using such a lens.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
HPS3 Regular Member • Posts: 494
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Awesome Justin, I'm glad to see you got that new to you lens. I'm looking forward to seeing some WDW shots on TMIP and Dis.

 HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,163
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

These usually return great images and yours look nice.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

mkandil Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

zackiedawg wrote:

Well, I hate to sound stupid - but I'm not sure!  I can't find any markings on the lens to note which version it is - it may be in the serial number but I don't know how to decode that.  I didn't get the original box, so may have to ask Sean which version it is...unless there's another way to tell.

I like the manual focus action - it took just a few minutes to get used to moving the finger indent rather than reaching for the focus ring itself - but once I got used to where it was, it was a cinch - and the action is good - just enough resistance to not overspin the focus, but not too much resistance that would make it stiff.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Thank you justin, actually I am planing to buy one and found two versions there and was wondering how the two versions behave on the NEX. I imagine your copy is MC because the other version has SC.(engraved in blue) on the lens.

enjoy it

 mkandil's gear list:mkandil's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +3 more
Mike Wee Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

mkandil wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

Well, I hate to sound stupid - but I'm not sure!  I can't find any markings on the lens to note which version it is - it may be in the serial number but I don't know how to decode that.  I didn't get the original box, so may have to ask Sean which version it is...unless there's another way to tell.

I like the manual focus action - it took just a few minutes to get used to moving the finger indent rather than reaching for the focus ring itself - but once I got used to where it was, it was a cinch - and the action is good - just enough resistance to not overspin the focus, but not too much resistance that would make it stiff.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Thank you justin, actually I am planing to buy one and found two versions there and was wondering how the two versions behave on the NEX. I imagine your copy is MC because the other version has SC.(engraved in blue) on the lens.

enjoy it

That's my understanding too. Single Coated ones are marked SC. Multi Coated ones do not carry any designation. I bought mine from the dealer, it has no designation and I asked for an MC one.

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4 * FD 50 1,4

 Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
forpetessake
forpetessake Senior Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, but all full size images look soft.

zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Thanks for the clarification...

Mine has no markings, so that would presume MC.  I wasn't familiar with how they label the lenses so I wasn't sure - I didn't think to ask either!

In reading, it would seem the multicoat would be better anyway, so I'm glad that's the one it is.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Thank you!

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Thanks Dave [nt]
-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Personally, I don't find them soft - but that's my personal preference - I don't really like oversharp photos as I hate white halos.  Do consider this though:  They are straight from camera, shot in JPG, and I have in-camera sharpness set to -1.  So that probably has something to do with it...someone with sharpness set higher would get crisper results from camera.  I prefer to do a touch of USM sharpening in post if I feel it needs it, but I left these ones alone just to see how they came out.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
Shiroa Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

zackiedawg wrote:

Just picked up a used Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 in Leica M-mount from fellow Dpreview member Sean Lancaster - I've always just loved the retro look of the lens on the NEX, and also liked the look of the shots coming from it - I wanted something a little wider than my Konica 40mm F1.8 as an alternate walkaround lens, but something nice and small too.  I'll use it as a walkaround sometimes, stopped down for nice sharp results, but also nice knowing I can use it wide open when I need fast.  I find it sufficiently sharp wide open, with a nice dreamy bokeh and look that has character.  For now, the test shots were just a few snaps around the yard in the late afternoon to make sure nothing was damaged in shipping, but I figured I'd share them anyway in case anyone was looking for some snaps from this lens.  I've posted a few of the stopped down daytime shots at full res, just because most samples I found full size were more wide open (which is very useful) but it might be useful to see a few 'normal' daytime shots at smaller apertures too - the lens is very nicely sharp.  I also stuck to only JPGs straight from camera...I'm sure an extra ounce or two might be able to be eeked out if shooting RAW and post processing correctly and carefully.

A full res shot at a slightly stopped down aperture

Also a full res shot stopped down to bright sunny day levels

Another full res looking down the street from my front yard, stopped down

Down the side of my house, very bright sun, stopped down

Just a quick resized snap of my cat, wide open

Another resized shot just for fun - slightly stopped down

This blue jay landed on my wall so I wanted to see how fast I could move the focus ring

This one just for fun, because a neighbor happened to be driving by in a very expensive car - an SLS AMG Cabriolet

Anyway - I'll have much better samples from this lens as I go, but I just got it yesterday and was excited to just walk outside and take a few quick test snaps - and wanted to share the excitement of getting a new lens!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

how do you get the aperture reading? I would love to have it on my nex nokt40 combo

zackiedawg
zackiedawg OP Forum Pro • Posts: 26,148
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Sadly, you cannot.  I manually entered the aperture in all of the above shots as I uploaded them - I wish there was an easier method, but alas, there's not!  When using manual lenses, I try to either stick to settings for a while so I know what it was at, or I try to record what aperture changes I make at particular camera clock times with voice memos on my phone.  I've heard some others mention taking a photo of a smartphone screen or memo pad with the aperture written or typed on it...I might try something like this on my upcoming vacation when aperture changes will be frequent and I won't be able to upload the photos until a week later.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony Alpha a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads