Can't delete Aperture trash, any ideas?

Started May 3, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
increments Regular Member • Posts: 278
Can't delete Aperture trash, any ideas?

Hi,
I recently began the process of upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion.
Step 1 was install Snow Leopard and update apps to the latest versions supported. i thought that had all gone reassuringly well...
OS and Aperture both working as well as with Leopard or a bit better.
Today though, I finished working on my latest project and tried to delete the photos in the Aperture trash. Unfortunately, when I select "empty Aperture Trash" nothing happens. The usual dialogue box doesn't even appear.
I've tried repairing and rebuilding Aperture libraries/permissions, as well as doing the same for my hard disk.
No joy.
I've looked on the apple support pages and have seen this happen to a few others, who have ended up doing clean installs.

If anyone has any ideas that would avoid having to do a clean OS install, I'd be very grateful.
Derek

ANSWER:
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 6,561
Drive permissions, new library

increments wrote:

Hi,
I recently began the process of upgrading my 2009 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion.
Step 1 was install Snow Leopard and update apps to the latest versions supported. i thought that had all gone reassuringly well...
OS and Aperture both working as well as with Leopard or a bit better.
Today though, I finished working on my latest project and tried to delete the photos in the Aperture trash. Unfortunately, when I select "empty Aperture Trash" nothing happens. The usual dialogue box doesn't even appear.
I've tried repairing and rebuilding Aperture libraries/permissions, as well as doing the same for my hard disk.
No joy.
I've looked on the apple support pages and have seen this happen to a few others, who have ended up doing clean installs.

If anyone has any ideas that would avoid having to do a clean OS install, I'd be very grateful.
Derek

Using Aperture since v1.0, I've never seen this, but here's a thought. If the photos are referenced and kept on an external hard drive, you might select the drive, hit command-I (Get Info), and make sure the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box is checked.

If that doesn't work, try making a new, empty library, then importing the problem library into it. This has helped me once or twice with corrupted libraries.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Senior Member • Posts: 7,901
Re: Drive permissions, new library

Its easy to use something like Clean My Mac to get rid of old aperture and iphoto trash.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +7 more
increments OP Regular Member • Posts: 278

Thanks for your suggestions Majikthize.
Unfortunately no joy so far. I think I'll see what happens when I get Mountain Lion in a couple of weeks.
In case this sheds any light on light on the matter, this is the most comprehensive support discussion on the Apple Support pages

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3715309?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks again for trying.

Derek

Thanks Sonyshine,

If upgrading to Mountain Lion (in a couple of weeks) doesn't fix it, then I'll give it a go.

Derek

Thanks all for your input.
For the sake of tidiness, the problem resolved itself when I updated from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion.

I take this to mean that the problem was within the system files rather than a problem with Aperture itself.
Derek

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads