Sony RX100 Custom Grip Designed by Richard Franiec Review.

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,606
Sony RX100 Custom Grip Designed by Richard Franiec Review.

I've submitted the identical review to Dpreview.com and have it also posted on my own personal blog.  Here it is.   I know there have been others discussing this grip, but I thought I'd add my perspective to the discussion regarding do you add a grip to the RX100 or not. For me it was a simple--YES and my blog is about why I needed this grip. Thank you for reading and of course your comments are welcome.

http://garydeanmercerclarkphoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/richard-franiecs-custom-grip-for-sony.html

Best Regards,

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,597
Sony RX100 Grip by Richard Franiec

A few have reviewed it Gary including me -------- outcome - I`d suggest forgetting tacky rubber things or trying to get your old S90 one to work - Richard`s grip for the RX100 IMO should be the First purchase afer the cam (along with an external charger and second battery)

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
OP Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,606
Re: Sony RX100 Grip by Richard Franiec

AdamT wrote:

A few have reviewed it Gary including me -------- outcome - I`d suggest forgetting tacky rubber things or trying to get your old S90 one to work - Richard`s grip for the RX100 IMO should be the First purchase afer the cam (along with an external charger and second battery)

I really never thought I'd buy a Sony RX100, but I really abhor cell phone photographs, at least my iPhone 4G really isn't up to the task, so I wanted a camera that I could carry around in my pocket with stealth and at the spur of the moment take a shot for street photography etc.  This isn't a replacement for my DP2M, its just the camera that I will have on my person all the time due to its versatility and high image quality. I actually realized that I could used this camera in certain situations for online press work and online magazine work but I will use my big camera for now until these small cameras are taken seriously.  When I'm not working, I want a camera that is fun and ready in my pocket to shoot at a moments notice. I found the RX100 to be perfect for this purpose-- the grip is wonderful.

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Pablo4 Forum Member • Posts: 56

Seriously, guys. Get the Flipbac G3 (2nd version made for RX100) stick on grip for about 13 USD that is made of silicone. I like it much better to touch silicone than aluminum.

boninsegni
boninsegni Regular Member • Posts: 435

AdamT wrote:

And as I just wrote several time, have a look at the GARIZ soft release shutter button as a (necessary) complement of the Franiec grip. This little item allows better handhold slow shutter speeds.

-- hide signature --

Christian

boninsegni's gear list:boninsegni's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic ZS200
Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Pablo4 wrote:

Seriously, guys. Get the Flipbac G3 (2nd version made for RX100) stick on grip for about 13 USD that is made of silicone. I like it much better to touch silicone than aluminum.

That you for the suggestion, but I do not like silicon or plastic grips.  Those fail to meet my design criteria for a third party add on grip for the  Sony Rx100, in addition to the silicon making it more difficult to slide in and out of my tight skinny jean pockets.  But if you lIke silicon grips, that's fine. I wanted a grip that looks like it was part of the camera not an add on.

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

boninsegni wrote:

AdamT wrote:

And as I just wrote several time, have a look at the GARIZ soft release shutter button as a (necessary) complement of the Franiec grip. This little item allows better handhold slow shutter speeds.

Christian,

I see lots of different Gariz soft release shutter buttons. Do you know the exact one that fits the Sony RX100? Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

EBfoto
EBfoto Regular Member • Posts: 133

These are the right ones  with a 3M sticker to apply will fit the RX100

Gariz

Pankrac
Pankrac Regular Member • Posts: 121

Pablo4 wrote:

100% agree

aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,650

Agree!

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

mark power Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Sony RX100 Custom Grip Designed by Richard Franiec Review.

About a year ago the first thing I did after receiving an RX-100 00 was purchase a Franiec grip.Then a cheap 'logic' case for about $10, barely bigger than the camera but big enough to hold an extra battery, card and micro clean cloth. The Franiec grip wasn't exactly cheap but as a precision-made custom product it is worth every cent of its cost. From day one instead of seeming like an after-thought, the Franiec grip has seemed like an integral part of the camera. Not only does it make the camera more comfortable to hold but it enhances the camera's beautifully minimal design.

mark power's gear list:mark power's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony a7 II
Walt Bilofsky
Walt Bilofsky Contributing Member • Posts: 594
Alternative

I've had Franiec grips on the Canon S100 and predecessor cameras.  They made all the difference between one hand usable and unusable.  Richard has made a huge contribution to the world of digital photography with his grips.

That said, I couldn't hold the RX100 comfortably with the Franiec grip because of the large control ring.  (Has the grip been redesigned since it was introduced?)

There are any number of leather and leather-like wraps on eBay for the RX100.  See this thread , for example.  The one I have provides a perfect grip for me.

I only use the bottom half of the wrap.  The retro look goes great with this camera, IMO.

Walt Bilofsky's gear list:Walt Bilofsky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Sony RX100 IV
Gary Dean Mercer Clark

EBfoto wrote:

These are the right ones  with a 3M sticker to apply will fit the RX100

Gariz

Thanks for the info!

-- hide signature --

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Re: Alternative

Walt Bilofsky wrote:

I've had Franiec grips on the Canon S100 and predecessor cameras.  They made all the difference between one hand usable and unusable.  Richard has made a huge contribution to the world of digital photography with his grips.

That said, I couldn't hold the RX100 comfortably with the Franiec grip because of the large control ring.  (Has the grip been redesigned since it was introduced?)

There are any number of leather and leather-like wraps on eBay for the RX100.  See this thread , for example.  The one I have provides a perfect grip for me.

I only use the bottom half of the wrap.  The retro look goes great with this camera, IMO.

The nice thing about cameras is that we can modify them to suit our needs. That wrap thing is absolutely the last thing I would put on my RX100.  I never liked leather or leather-like grips on cameras when I started shooting in 1979 and still don't and never will. Can't imagine what the glue will due to the surface of the camera--will it be a mess to take off and replace?  I remember having to have a camera shop replace a wrap on my Minoltas 35mm camera.  It was not easy.

I'll stick with the Franiec grip.  

Gary Dean Mercer Clark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads