How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?

Started May 2, 2013 | Discussions
svgklingon
svgklingon Forum Member • Posts: 55
How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?

I just got my first legacy lens. A Minolta MD Rokkor X 50mm 1.7. I love it. The weather has not been very nice since I got it but as soon as I get out and take some nice pics I'll be sure to post them.

Now that I've got my first legacy lens, I know this is going to be an expensive habit. I'm curious as to how well large tele lenses do on the adapter. 300+ I'm thinking. I am going to Yellowstone next month and think a zoom larger than my SEL 55210 might be nice for distant wildlife.

Thanks,

~peter

svgklingon's gear list:svgklingon's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony Alpha NEX-6
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,210
Exactly what 300mm lens Peter ??

I use Canon FD's and no issue. Depends a lot on technique.

First off though, what 300mm lens Peter ??

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 +6 more
svgklingon
OP svgklingon Forum Member • Posts: 55
Re: Exactly what 300mm lens Peter ??

Well something like this for example...

Tokina 60-300

It's cheap so I know the glass can only be so good but I was just curious if folks have had positive experiences with long lenses.

svgklingon's gear list:svgklingon's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Sony Alpha NEX-6
ebookman New Member • Posts: 4
Re: How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do on Nex system?

I have a Minolta 75-300 and it works fine on a tripod with a tripod threaded Nex MA adapter. The problem is just the weight and inconvenience. If you are going to get addicted to legacy glass as I am let me warn you there is a lot of money to be spent on your addiction. It starts with Minolta, Pentax and Olympus lenses and then you discover the M mount for Leica, Voigtlander and Zeiss M mount lenses and you try one. They are so light on your Nex. They are so sharp on your Nex. After a while all other lenses look and feel like cut-off baseball bats. Build a set of Contax G Zeiss lenses, best glass for the money.

wfektar Contributing Member • Posts: 700

ebookman wrote:

It starts with Minolta, Pentax and Olympus lenses and then you discover the M mount for Leica, Voigtlander and Zeiss M mount lenses and you try one. They are so light on your Nex. They are so sharp on your Nex. After a while all other lenses look and feel like cut-off baseball bats.

So true.

Back on topic. It depends on the lens. I don't know the Tokina 60-300 but I once had a Tokina SD 100-300/4 that didn't get acceptably sharp at any distance until f/11 and even then it wasn't fantastic. At least from about 200-220mm on -- it was fine below that but you're not interested in that range.

These days I use an old Leitz (there's that L word again...) Telyt 400mm that is excellent from near MFD to infinity. It's long and has a weird slide focus, but quite light. The Apo-Telyt 400 would be even better (and shorter), but those are much heavier and much^2 more $$$$.

forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
all over the place

svgklingon wrote:

I just got my first legacy lens. A Minolta MD Rokkor X 50mm 1.7. I love it. The weather has not been very nice since I got it but as soon as I get out and take some nice pics I'll be sure to post them.

Now that I've got my first legacy lens, I know this is going to be an expensive habit. I'm curious as to how well large tele lenses do on the adapter. 300+ I'm thinking. I am going to Yellowstone next month and think a zoom larger than my SEL 55210 might be nice for distant wildlife.

Thanks,

~peter

Performance of legacy tele zooms (and even primes) is all over the place, but most of them suffer from softness and CA. The best legacy zoom I found so far in 300mm range was Pentax-FA 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8. It's on the slow side, but very good colors, very good contrast and resolution in the whole range starting from wide open. The other lenses I've tried Minolta/Kiron/Nikon/Canon/Sigma required stopping down and still weren't as good in all mentioned areas. I also have SEL55210, which is excellent in 55-100 range, ok at 150mm, and pretty poor at 210mm. It also requires stopping down on the long end to get some useful sharpness.

Pentax-FA 100-300mm

Pentax-FA 100-300mm

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,891

I'm not sure what Nex you have but a big zoom is easier to handle on a NEX camera if you have an EVF so that you can hold the camera steady. A big zoom held out 'compact camera' style is not going to work well.

Alos consider the Sony / Minolta 500 Reflex lens on the LA-EA2 adapter. A nice compact light tele lens set up.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
richiemccaw Contributing Member • Posts: 920

I'm a big fan of the Contax G lenses. I think the 45mm would be a really good (and very usable) addition to anyone's collection.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 80D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
pwmoree
pwmoree Regular Member • Posts: 460

350 mm teletessar from Hasselblad with the adapter, great results

this last one is with a 300mm f2.8 tokina

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +5 more
eths
eths Contributing Member • Posts: 775
600mm (Novoflex) on a Nex-7
 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622

You can go a Couple different Directions in Legacy , 1  the LA -EA2 Sony Adapter and some great AF Glass the 100-300 Minolta 4.5-5.6 lens is very Sharp and AF inexpensive and not to big to walk around  a Park like Yellowstone without a tripod the 75-300 Minolta 4.5-5.6 is a good choice if you get a Good copy or as Sonyshine mentioned the 500 reflex is excellent if you want some real range and small package at least a Monopod would be a good call out in that range , If you want to go Manual and you get get by with a Prime 300 the Pentax 300 f4 SMC Super Tak is a Gem and can usually be found 100-200 dollars most in M42 mount , Keep in mind if you are at a park Like Yellowstone it is  Vast and you will see a lot of long distance wildlife if you are able to use a Tripod, That will give you an edge on keepers and don't forget a Lens Hood.

Researching the lens you pick on sites like Dyxum can save a lot of grief too.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,210

svgklingon wrote:

Well something like this for example...

Tokina 60-300

It's cheap so I know the glass can only be so good but I was just curious if folks have had positive experiences with long lenses.

Thanks, I see what you are after. A little short for me, I prefer 500mm. I do use a Canon FD 100-300 F/5.6L now and again which is sharp with no CA, but they do cost a little more. Its a bit like any lens really, you basically get what you pay for and that includes legacy lenses within reason.

So plenty of NEX users do have and use legacy lenses. I use a Canon FD 500 F/4.5L about 90% of the time, 10% would be with the 300 or 800mm.

All the best.

Danny,

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 +6 more
cwood Contributing Member • Posts: 662
GaryR60 Contributing Member • Posts: 656

Well, I can only tell you how my legacy 200mm MD lenses are doing and that is well. Of course, the two I have - an 80-200mm and a 75-200mm, are a lot heavier than my native 55-210mm E mount, but, in a way, that's sort of a good thing for handheld shooting, as the extra weight helps me stabilize the camera, somewhat.

svgklingon wrote:

Thanks,

~peter

isvana Regular Member • Posts: 426
Re: How do legacy 300mm+ lenses do -- very nicely!

svgklingon wrote:

...I'm curious as to how well large tele lenses do on the adapter. 300+ I'm thinking. I am going to Yellowstone next month and think a zoom larger than my SEL 55210 might be nice for distant wildlife.

Thanks,

~peter

Yes. I just recently got a Rokkor 300 and its nice but big. Also a Tokina 400 that has a sticky aperture, but otherwise also produces nice pictures. For Yellowstone an xx-400 would be nice, but a legacy 300/400 would be a good complement to the 55210. 2 other thoughts:
- the 300 with 1.5 crop factor is quite a good magnification lens, so a 70-300 or 100-300 would work 
- some of the wildlife in Yellowstone can get pretty close so the 55-200 might find some use at the lower end!

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 +8 more
Chris_Downunder Contributing Member • Posts: 611

I think you'll be disappointed with the Tokina. I had a Tamron 60-300 that was never sharp. I ended up buying a Nikon 300mm ED f4.5 for $500 and am very happy with it. You will need to come to terms with focussing though, especially with wildlife shots.

All the best,

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Those are GORGEOUS shots - truly special!

cwood wrote:

This is what I have:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Mel Snyder

I can't believe it - I have a 500mm f8 Tele-Tessar in my closet at home, inherited from my Dad. I MUST get an adapter!

pwmoree wrote:

350 mm teletessar from Hasselblad with the adapter, great results

this last one is with a 300mm f2.8 tokina

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Mel Snyder

GORGEOUS! But how did you get the camera to "read" the Nikon lens  in the EXIF?

Chris_Downunder wrote:

I think you'll be disappointed with the Tokina. I had a Tamron 60-300 that was never sharp. I ended up buying a Nikon 300mm ED f4.5 for $500 and am very happy with it. You will need to come to terms with focussing though, especially with wildlife shots.

All the best,

Chris

Louno Regular Member • Posts: 141

Personnally, I was just able to try my Vivitar 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 and I was very disappointed...
It's very hard ( for me ) to shoot in low light conditions because there is no image stabilization and the lens is huge and heavy and it's awkward to focus and hold the camera at the same time, i am using a nex-3n tho so I guess it would be somewhat easier with the bigger grips on the nex-5 - 6 - 7.
Also, this might be an issue with my specific lens only but It's supposed to be a macro lens but I need to focus from quite a distance. Also, it's way to easy to get flares in my shot I really have to think about where to position myself, and then there is still the issue of chromatic aberration and somewhat overall softness. This sort of defeats the purpose of this lens because the only way I could see it being useful is for shooting outdoor, since you need a lot of light to be able to shoot at a shutter speed that is fast enough to prevent blur ( unless you shoot on a tripod, in which case you need a very sturdy tripod because those lense are big and heavy, and you also need an adapter with a tripod mount because it's probably not a good idea to have the camera body support this whole lens by itself )

Louno's gear list:Louno's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads