My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
mightyanxious Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Oi. FIVE pages and no one has mentioned this?

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/filters-on-panasonic-7-14mm-problem.html

You are talking apples and oranges.  Anders's solution was for purple-flare elimination utilizing a Kodak Wratten 2A.  Essentially a set it and forget it solution.  I also have a DIY setup like your link describes that I use for my Lee ND's.  Those setups are well known.

mightyanxious's gear list:mightyanxious's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

mightyanxious wrote:

Anders W wrote:

robbd wrote:

Yes, you can modify the 8mm fisheye frame/filter order to fit, or you can order the correct one from Panasonic. Either do a google search for Panasonic Parts US, and if your ship/bill address is the same, order online OR call 800-833-9626 (give them the model number of lens, and explain to them you need a filter holder just like the one stated in this prior post for the 8mm). The parts number for Panasonic 7-14 filter frame is VDW1910. The cost is less than the one for the fisheye, like 10 bucks less.

What makes you think that Panasonic would list a filter holder as a spare part for the 7-14/4 when such a holder is not part of the lens itself in the first place? VDW1910 is indeed listed among the spare parts for the 7-14 but is in all likelihood just the ordinary rear baffle. If there were a filter holder specifically for the 7-14, although it is not included when you buy the lens, it would be offered as an accessory, not as a spare part. If you think you know better than I do, please let us know the basis for that claim.

Yes, VDW1910 is the ordinary rear baffle. I know because I bought one along with the VDW1911. It's going back.

Thanks for confirming that it is the way I thought. But I guess you mean VXQ1911 (the filter holder with rear baffle for the Pany 8 mm fisheye) where you say VDW1911 (which is a part number I don't find listed for either the 8 mm FE or the 7-14).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
mightyanxious Junior Member • Posts: 40

Anders W wrote:

mightyanxious wrote:

Anders W wrote:

robbd wrote:

Yes, you can modify the 8mm fisheye frame/filter order to fit, or you can order the correct one from Panasonic. Either do a google search for Panasonic Parts US, and if your ship/bill address is the same, order online OR call 800-833-9626 (give them the model number of lens, and explain to them you need a filter holder just like the one stated in this prior post for the 8mm). The parts number for Panasonic 7-14 filter frame is VDW1910. The cost is less than the one for the fisheye, like 10 bucks less.

What makes you think that Panasonic would list a filter holder as a spare part for the 7-14/4 when such a holder is not part of the lens itself in the first place? VDW1910 is indeed listed among the spare parts for the 7-14 but is in all likelihood just the ordinary rear baffle. If there were a filter holder specifically for the 7-14, although it is not included when you buy the lens, it would be offered as an accessory, not as a spare part. If you think you know better than I do, please let us know the basis for that claim.

Yes, VDW1910 is the ordinary rear baffle. I know because I bought one along with the VDW1911. It's going back.

Thanks for confirming that it is the way I thought. But I guess you mean VXQ1911 (the filter holder with rear baffle for the Pany 8 mm fisheye) where you say VDW1911 (which is a part number I don't find listed for either the 8 mm FE or the 7-14).

I'm sorry Anders, yes I meant VXQ1911.  For some reason I thought only the last number was different and I neglected to check.

mightyanxious's gear list:mightyanxious's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

mightyanxious wrote:

Anders W wrote:

mightyanxious wrote:

Anders W wrote:

robbd wrote:

Thanks for confirming that it is the way I thought. But I guess you mean VXQ1911 (the filter holder with rear baffle for the Pany 8 mm fisheye) where you say VDW1911 (which is a part number I don't find listed for either the 8 mm FE or the 7-14).

I'm sorry Anders, yes I meant VXQ1911. For some reason I thought only the last number was different and I neglected to check.

No problem. Just wanted to avoid any doubt among thread readers of what the proper part number really is.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
madugo New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Wratten 2A/E Filter Source Found: 6-10 Week Wait

Robotele wrote:

Okay, me, my browser, firewall settings, or all conspired to sabotage my search for Kodak Wratten 2A & 2E filters. It turns out that B&H has cross reference for Kodak part numbers and can order about any Wratten filter one wants. I had trouble locating what I was looking for and eventually just called them to complain after an intensive web search. The trick is to get Wratten filter part numbers from this site:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/Kodak_filters/wrattten2.htm

And then call your favorite supplier with the part numbers. My 2A, 2E, and 87C are 6-10 weeks out, but 0.9 and 3.0 NDs are on the way thanks to B&H.

Hi Robotele,

How was the outcome of the filters?

I assume you have received the filters from BH and applied them?

Did you compared 2A and 2E? Which one is better?

I am looking at the link you provided,  so the 75mm square is suppose to be 75mm x 75mm one sheet?

Then we are suppose to cut them into little squares that would fit the filter holder we installed?

Did you find it hard to cut? Any tips how to measure and cut it?

Thank you.

Re: Pictures of Filters cut for Pany 7-14mm and Wratten Filter Source?

Hi Anders,

Did you get the Wratten filters too?

Was it just large sheet of filter that you have to cut it into smaller squares that would fit into the holder?

Do we have to cut it really precisely in order to fit in the holder?

Thank you.

brucemc66 Contributing Member • Posts: 745

Many thanks Anders - received the kit from Arthur, and fitted. Was a little tricky but now the flare whilst still there as expected , is white  not purple.

Now I can use this expensive lens they way it was meant to be.

brucemc66's gear list:brucemc66's gear list
Pentax Q Olympus E-M1

brucemc66 wrote:

Many thanks Anders - received the kit from Arthur, and fitted. Was a little tricky but now the flare whilst still there as expected , is white not purple.

Now I can use this expensive lens they way it was meant to be.

You are welcome Bruce. Glad to hear the solution works for you just as for the rest of us.

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Was it just large sheet of filter that you have to cut it into smaller squares that would fit into the holder?

It wasn't particularly large (2x2 inches) but that suffices to make four pieces of the size you need.

Yes.

Not particularly difficult to cut it. See here for measures:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400423

One additional thing: Keep the filter in the protective paper with which you get it when cutting. You don't want fingerprints on it. Impossible to wipe off without scratching the filter in my experience.

brucemc66 Contributing Member • Posts: 745

I received a reply from a panasonic parts company in Australia who were willing to order the part VXQ1911

LCS Electronics
Ph 08 93173333

brucemc66's gear list:brucemc66's gear list
Pentax Q Olympus E-M1

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

It wasn't particularly large (2x2 inches) but that suffices to make four pieces of the size you need.

Yes.

One additional thing: Keep the filter in the protective paper with which you get it when cutting. You don't want fingerprints on it. Impossible to wipe off without scratching the filter in my experience.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Got my parts from panasonic a little over a month after ordering, but did not have time to put it on. I will try it tonight and see how it goes.

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Got my parts from panasonic a little over a month after ordering, but did not have time to put it on. I will try it tonight and see how it goes.

Best of luck with the "surgery".

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

everything went well, now I am just waiting for the 2A to ship.

do you think it is necessary to order the 2E also?

thanks.

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Good! No, I don't think it's necessary to order the 2E. The 2A does the job all right. A 2E might do it even more thoroughly with regard to purple flare and purple fringing alike. But you'd also lose a bit more light, especially blue light, in the process and that's a drawback. I don't really know for sure whether a 2A or 2E is the best alternative since I have only used one of them myself (2A) and haven't seen anyone else try a 2E either. What I know is that 2A is in all likelihood the weakest filter available that will get the job done pretty well. Anything weaker than that is unlikely to have much of an effect.

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Good! No, I don't think it's necessary to order the 2E. The 2A does the job all right. A 2E might do it even more thoroughly with regard to purple flare and purple fringing alike. But you'd also lose a bit more light, especially blue light, in the process and that's a drawback. I don't really know for sure whether a 2A or 2E is the best alternative since I have only used one of them myself (2A) and haven't seen anyone else try a 2E either. What I know is that 2A is in all likelihood the weakest filter available that will get the job done pretty well. Anything weaker than that is unlikely to have much of an effect.

Thanks for the explanation again, I did order the 2A like a week ago with BH, but they don't carry it so it has to be ordered, don't know when they will arrive.

They had the 2E in stock, was going to order it but I thought i would asked first.

Let's see how hard the cut and fit will be once the 2A arrived lol..

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks for the explanation again, I did order the 2A like a week ago with BH, but they don't carry it so it has to be ordered, don't know when they will arrive.

They had the 2E in stock, was going to order it but I thought i would asked first.

Not entirely surprised to learn that B&H didn't have 2A in stock. These filters were originally made for B&W film photography (for better contrast in hazy conditions) and I don't think they sell many of these for that purpose any more. We should be glad that they are still around at all so that we can buy and use them for a quite different purpose than the one for which they were originally intended.

yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 12,780

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Not entirely surprised to learn that B&H didn't have 2A in stock. These filters were originally made for B&W film photography (for better contrast in hazy conditions) and I don't think they sell many of these for that purpose any more. We should be glad that they are still around at all so that we can buy and use them for a quite different purpose than the one for which they were originally intended.

After going to quite a lot of trouble to get hold of the part in UK I am now struggling to get hold of a filter. I can find someone to supply 2E but not 2A. Buying from the USA means outragoeus postage charges - are you aware of any European stockist. Thanks as always

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL

yyr wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Not entirely surprised to learn that B&H didn't have 2A in stock. These filters were originally made for B&W film photography (for better contrast in hazy conditions) and I don't think they sell many of these for that purpose any more. We should be glad that they are still around at all so that we can buy and use them for a quite different purpose than the one for which they were originally intended.

After going to quite a lot of trouble to get hold of the part in UK I am now struggling to get hold of a filter. I can find someone to supply 2E but not 2A. Buying from the USA means outragoeus postage charges - are you aware of any European stockist. Thanks as always

Regrettably, I am unable to come up with anything to help you out here. I too know that the postage when buying from the US tends to be outrageous (for no good reason). Besides, you risk having to pay VAT+ duty when it passes the border because the price of the good plus the high postage means you pass the limit at which they start adding those charges.

Hope someone else has a good idea of how to source one from inside Europe (or from some source elsewhere but with reasonable postage for shipping to Europe). I found my 2A "used" but unopened on ebay (from the US if I recall correctly, but at a reasonable price with postage). But I find no 2As via ebay channels right now. Perhaps they've all been picked up by now by people who want one for the same purpose as you. Don't think this was a "hot" item before this somewhat special application appeared.

I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread on this subject. I am sure there are quite a few who have been in your situation and have found a solution one way or the other. And their experiences might be helpful to you as well as to others who face the same dilemma. I might be interested too. Right now, I have what I need but those gel filters are sensitive and sooner or later, I might need a replacement or additional pieces to put on lenses other than the 7-14 to reduce purple fringing (a 2A helps with that too, particularly when using Pany lenses on Oly bodies).

yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 12,780

Anders W wrote:

yyr wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Anders W wrote:

madugo wrote:

Hi Anders,

Yes.

Yes.

Not entirely surprised to learn that B&H didn't have 2A in stock. These filters were originally made for B&W film photography (for better contrast in hazy conditions) and I don't think they sell many of these for that purpose any more. We should be glad that they are still around at all so that we can buy and use them for a quite different purpose than the one for which they were originally intended.

Regrettably, I am unable to come up with anything to help you out here. I too know that the postage when buying from the US tends to be outrageous (for no good reason). Besides, you risk having to pay VAT+ duty when it passes the border because the price of the good plus the high postage means you pass the limit at which they start adding those charges.

Hope someone else has a good idea of how to source one from inside Europe (or from some source elsewhere but with reasonable postage for shipping to Europe). I found my 2A "used" but unopened on ebay (from the US if I recall correctly, but at a reasonable price with postage). But I find no 2As via ebay channels right now. Perhaps they've all been picked up by now by people who want one for the same purpose as you. Don't think this was a "hot" item before this somewhat special application appeared.

I think it might be a good idea to start a new thread on this subject. I am sure there are quite a few who have been in your situation and have found a solution one way or the other. And their experiences might be helpful to you as well as to others who face the same dilemma. I might be interested too. Right now, I have what I need but those gel filters are sensitive and sooner or later, I might need a replacement or additional pieces to put on lenses other than the 7-14 to reduce purple fringing (a 2A helps with that too, particularly when using Pany lenses on Oly bodies).

Good idea - I'll do that now.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL
letsgofishing Regular Member • Posts: 257

Maybe a bit off topic, but how come a Sigma 10-20 for APSC takes filters without any problem?

Is the difference between 14 and 15mm that significant?

letsgofishing's gear list:letsgofishing's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads