My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
Robotele New Member • Posts: 4
Wratten 2A/E Filter Source Found: 6-10 Week Wait

Okay, me, my browser, firewall settings, or all conspired to sabotage my search for Kodak Wratten 2A & 2E filters.  It turns out that B&H has cross reference for Kodak part numbers and can order about any Wratten filter one wants.  I had trouble locating what I was looking for and eventually just called them to complain after an intensive web search.  The trick is to get Wratten filter part numbers from this site:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/Kodak_filters/wrattten2.htm

And then call your favorite supplier with the part numbers.  My 2A, 2E, and 87C are 6-10 weeks out, but 0.9 and 3.0 NDs are on the way thanks to B&H.

Robotele's gear list:Robotele's gear list
Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Albert Ang Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Abrak wrote:

The gel filters are inherently a 'bit fiddly'. They have to be cut to the right size without getting fingerprints on them. And they also have to be inserted into the back filter without getting fingerprints on them.

If you just have the Wratten 2A this isnt a problem. Just place the gel into the back filter once and then leave it in indefinitely. For the ND filter I also inserted that at home rather than in the field - it is really too fiddly to do when on the go.

Having said that it isnt a big deal - it simply takes a couple of minutes preparation and it is not as though you use the ND filters that often. I would probably prefer the back filter than carrying large glass filters around with me.

Thank you Abrak! 

Albert Ang's gear list:Albert Ang's gear list
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
pxchoi Regular Member • Posts: 439

This is awesome...

You would think that Panasonic would have addressed this by now, sounds like a simple mod.

pxchoi's gear list:pxchoi's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,169

pxchoi wrote:

This is awesome...

You would think that Panasonic would have addressed this by now, sounds like a simple mod.

Absolutely. I would have thought that with an ounce of marketing sense they could virtually relaunch the 7-14mm with back filter and gels included. I suspect they could also sell a back filter + gels kit for the lens for US$100 and have a massive mark up.

Still I imagine Panasonic marketing is busy with other things - like designing a Honduras mahogany grip for the GX7 to compete with Olympus.

OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Pictures of Filters cut for Pany 7-14mm and Wratten Filter Source?

Robotele wrote:

No worries about filter pictures at this point other than it makes your thread more complete. I understand the process from here and will ask more questions if needed when Pany parts and Wratten filters are in hand. I am curious before ordering filters though as to the finished diameter +- a few mm. I'll need to order several NDs to get "black glass" effect and could predict how many filters are avialable in a 75x75mm sheet with your rough finished filter diameter. Sort of hinted at in the thread but not a diameter mentioned.

You find the info you are after here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51400423

In short, a 2x2-inch gel will give you four pieces and a 3x3-inch gel nine pieces.

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Panasonic tech support trying to find out if a filter holder was in the works specifically for the 7-14mm with no word either way. What I did find is that the VXQ1911 (Pany M4/3 Fisheye filter holder) is back in stock...today.

If a holder specifically for the 7-14 was in the works, I doubt that tech support would know before it was actually available. But nice to hear that the part you need is now in stock.

Finding Wratten 2A and 2E filters is another matter. I have yet to locate them. Tiffen was even out of stock, and they're the main distributor to Edmunds Optics who does not stock 2a or 2E. Edmunds can supply Kodak Wratten 87C and a variety of pliable NDs although not in the high numbers. I need to hit a ND thread that compares different manufacturer's ND #s to figure out what Edmunds is carrying because it isn't Kodak, which supplys curves on their sight. I may go to Kodak direct for the Wratten 2A/E; and, if they'll sell that to me, just buy all the filters from them. Anyone reading this please feel free to make supplier recommendations and ND cross reference urls if known.

See my response to your subsequent post.

Anyone wondering why I want a 2E: it is to try and shoot closer into the sun or light sources in general. (Let me know if this swing and a miss thinking.) I take a lot of outdoor adventure pictures and don't have the luxury of staging people or animals relative to landscapes and light sources. White flare I can handle and sometimes use creatively, purple flare, no way. The 87C is for getting deep-IR raw shots using a LifePixel modified Oly E-PL5 with Superblue filter. I love the Pany fisheye and 7-14mm for generating interesting angles and close up bizarre shots that ultra-wides make possible in any color.

What a 2A or 2E will do very well is remove the purple flare with the 7-14 on Oly bodies that results from large and diffuse light sources, e.g., bright light from windows as exemplified in the sample shots I link to below. In this case, the flares are very prominent without the filter and pretty much gone with the filter.

http://www.mu-43.com/f38/my-definitive-post-7-14mm-purple-blob-problem-45013/index7.html

The filters will also help reduce residual purple fringing of the kind exemplified here.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51600715

If you have more distinct light sources (e.g., light bulbs) in the frame, the filter will not remove the mirror images of those light sources but will make them white/gray rather than purple and thus reduce their visibility.

If you shoot so close to a prominent light source, e.g., the sun, that you get a streak of colored reflections in the image, the filter will take most of the purple away from the reflections but they will still be pretty prominent. In this case, it still remains advisable to watch for the reflections when you shoot and shield to the extent necessary, e.g., with your hand (or your hand helped by some suitable tool, e.g., a grey card).

If you have a very strong and prominent light source in the frame, e.g., the sun or a very strong spotlight aimed directly at the camera, the filter itself might actually give rise to additional flare that you might otherwise escape. This is the only downside of the filter (apart from very minor light loss) that I have so far noticed. Since this is a scenario I very rarely encountered in practice, I am not really bothered by this problem.

In short: Save for what I say in the last paragraph above, the filters make sure you get about the same results with the 7-14 on an Oly body as you would with the same lens mounted on a Pany body.

Again thanks Anders for this thread and sharing all your insight. May the light always be with you...

You are welcome. I love good light.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Re: Wratten 2A/E Filter Source Found: 6-10 Week Wait

Robotele wrote:

Okay, me, my browser, firewall settings, or all conspired to sabotage my search for Kodak Wratten 2A & 2E filters. It turns out that B&H has cross reference for Kodak part numbers and can order about any Wratten filter one wants. I had trouble locating what I was looking for and eventually just called them to complain after an intensive web search. The trick is to get Wratten filter part numbers from this site:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Lab_And_Post_Production/Kodak_filters/wrattten2.htm

And then call your favorite supplier with the part numbers. My 2A, 2E, and 87C are 6-10 weeks out, but 0.9 and 3.0 NDs are on the way thanks to B&H.

Your prior post on the matter made me worried that the sudden surge of demand for 2A and 2E filters that our little MFT problem might have prompted had emptied the remaining supplies and that no more were being made. So what you say here prompts a sigh of relief.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Ken Strain Regular Member • Posts: 457

Anders W wrote:

Ken Strain wrote:

secretworld wrote:

Ken Strain wrote:

I've been using "gel" ND, UV cut and IR pass filters on the back of a Samyang 7.5mm with a home made mount and/or inside E-PM1 (which has had its own IR filter removed) and E-PM2 (for UV cut against purple fringing). In both cameras it is possible to slip a filter into the gap behind the electrical lens contacts (initially I did this very cautiously, but so far no problems have resulted).

Ken

I´m very interested in sliding a wratten 2A or 2E filter (which one to choose Anders?) behind the contacts in my PM2 with 20mm. Any tips or pictures how to do it? Fixing it to the back of my 20mm seems not possible. And of course it would also fix 7-14 flare. I would leave it in permanently.

I have tried a 2A filter in my PM2. Unfortunately there is a small chance of it being shaken out of place (unlike the IR filter in the PM1 which is held reliably), so it needs to be checked from time to time.

I do not recommend sliding a filter too far into the gap, in case it damages the wiring: caution is advised.

At least a semi-permanent filter avoids handling problems, and does not attract dirt as badly as one that needs to be exchanged out in the open. I encountered a few cases, however, when flare from the filter encouraged me to remove it for a particular shot, and that sometimes led to dirt or damage.

Interesting that some of you have experimented with putting a gel inside the camera body. It's certainly something I have been thinking of myself, particularly after it became clear that a 2A or 2E has significant benefits not only with regard to the purple flare specific to the 7-14 but also with regard to purple fringing (especially with Pany lenses on Oly bodies). But I haven't dared to actually experiment with it (yet).

In what way do the innards of the E-PM1 differ from those of the E-PM2 in such a way that the filter is more securely held in place? I realize this probably has to do with the exact construction of the baffle surrounding the sensor but would be interested in further details.

Apart from making sure that the filter stays in place, another potential problem I have been thinking of with this solution is dust accumulation on the filter on the sensor side where you can't easily blow it off. But perhaps that problem isn't all that significant in practice.

New thread created to show filter in E-PM1 - please see IR gel in E-PM1

Ken

Ken Strain wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Ken Strain wrote:

secretworld wrote:

Ken Strain wrote:

I've been using "gel" ND, UV cut and IR pass filters on the back of a Samyang 7.5mm with a home made mount and/or inside E-PM1 (which has had its own IR filter removed) and E-PM2 (for UV cut against purple fringing). In both cameras it is possible to slip a filter into the gap behind the electrical lens contacts (initially I did this very cautiously, but so far no problems have resulted).

Ken

I´m very interested in sliding a wratten 2A or 2E filter (which one to choose Anders?) behind the contacts in my PM2 with 20mm. Any tips or pictures how to do it? Fixing it to the back of my 20mm seems not possible. And of course it would also fix 7-14 flare. I would leave it in permanently.

I have tried a 2A filter in my PM2. Unfortunately there is a small chance of it being shaken out of place (unlike the IR filter in the PM1 which is held reliably), so it needs to be checked from time to time.

I do not recommend sliding a filter too far into the gap, in case it damages the wiring: caution is advised.

At least a semi-permanent filter avoids handling problems, and does not attract dirt as badly as one that needs to be exchanged out in the open. I encountered a few cases, however, when flare from the filter encouraged me to remove it for a particular shot, and that sometimes led to dirt or damage.

Interesting that some of you have experimented with putting a gel inside the camera body. It's certainly something I have been thinking of myself, particularly after it became clear that a 2A or 2E has significant benefits not only with regard to the purple flare specific to the 7-14 but also with regard to purple fringing (especially with Pany lenses on Oly bodies). But I haven't dared to actually experiment with it (yet).

In what way do the innards of the E-PM1 differ from those of the E-PM2 in such a way that the filter is more securely held in place? I realize this probably has to do with the exact construction of the baffle surrounding the sensor but would be interested in further details.

Apart from making sure that the filter stays in place, another potential problem I have been thinking of with this solution is dust accumulation on the filter on the sensor side where you can't easily blow it off. But perhaps that problem isn't all that significant in practice.

New thread created to show filter in E-PM1 - please see IR gel in E-PM1

Great! Many thanks!

robbd New Member • Posts: 1

Yes, you can modify the 8mm fisheye frame/filter order to fit, or you can order the correct one from Panasonic. Either do a google search for Panasonic Parts US, and if your ship/bill address is the same, order online OR call 800-833-9626 (give them the model number of lens, and explain to them you need a filter holder just like the one stated in this prior post for the 8mm).  The parts number for Panasonic 7-14 filter frame is VDW1910.  The cost is less than the one for the fisheye, like 10 bucks less.

Vasyl Tsvirkunov Regular Member • Posts: 209

robbd wrote:

Yes, you can modify the 8mm fisheye frame/filter order to fit, or you can order the correct one from Panasonic. Either do a google search for Panasonic Parts US, and if your ship/bill address is the same, order online OR call 800-833-9626 (give them the model number of lens, and explain to them you need a filter holder just like the one stated in this prior post for the 8mm). The parts number for Panasonic 7-14 filter frame is VDW1910. The cost is less than the one for the fisheye, like 10 bucks less.

Are you sure that VDW1910 actually has filter holder and not just a replacement of the stock baffle? That would explain rather significant price difference.

mightyanxious Junior Member • Posts: 40

Anders,

Just want to say thanks.  Finished the mod with no problems.  I chose to shave with an Exacto knife rather than use a spacer.  Very easy.

I found cutting the gel to the correct size was the most difficult step!

Thanks again.....

mightyanxious's gear list:mightyanxious's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

mightyanxious wrote:

Anders,

Just want to say thanks. Finished the mod with no problems. I chose to shave with an Exacto knife rather than use a spacer. Very easy.

I found cutting the gel to the correct size was the most difficult step!

Thanks again.....

You are welcome. Happy it worked out as expected.

robbd wrote:

Yes, you can modify the 8mm fisheye frame/filter order to fit, or you can order the correct one from Panasonic. Either do a google search for Panasonic Parts US, and if your ship/bill address is the same, order online OR call 800-833-9626 (give them the model number of lens, and explain to them you need a filter holder just like the one stated in this prior post for the 8mm). The parts number for Panasonic 7-14 filter frame is VDW1910. The cost is less than the one for the fisheye, like 10 bucks less.

What makes you think that Panasonic would list a filter holder as a spare part for the 7-14/4 when such a holder is not part of the lens itself in the first place? VDW1910 is indeed listed among the spare parts for the 7-14 but is in all likelihood just the ordinary rear baffle. If there were a filter holder specifically for the 7-14, although it is not included when you buy the lens, it would be offered as an accessory, not as a spare part. If you think you know better than I do, please let us know the basis for that claim.

Tanngrisnir3 Regular Member • Posts: 299
Oi. FIVE pages and no one has mentioned this?
Re: Oi. FIVE pages and no one has mentioned this?

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/filters-on-panasonic-7-14mm-problem.html

Perhaps the reason is that a number of DIY solutions similar to the one you link to were already known when this thread began.

This non-DIY solution was known as well:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/06/Fotodiox-launches-WonderPana-Filter-Systems-145-66

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/filters-on-panasonic-7-14mm-problem.html

Perhaps the reason is that a number of DIY solutions similar to the one you link to were already known when this thread began.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/06/Fotodiox-launches-WonderPana-Filter-Systems-145-66

Sure, but the DIY:

A.  is cheaper

B.  actually works well.

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Sure, but the DIY:

A. is cheaper

B. actually works well.

Neither works as well for the purposes I need it as the one presented in this thread.

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Sure, but the DIY:

A. is cheaper

B. actually works well.

Neither works as well for the purposes I need it as the one presented in this thread.

Ah, so you've used the DIY method AND the Fotodiox filter systems?

What did you find to be less than ideal about them?

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

Sure, but the DIY:

A. is cheaper

B. actually works well.

Ah, so you've used the DIY method AND the Fotodiox filter systems?

What did you find to be less than ideal about them?

No I didn't use them. I can see that they are less ideal already from their "specs". For my purposes, I prefer a less obtrusive solution.

mightyanxious Junior Member • Posts: 40

Anders W wrote:

robbd wrote:

What makes you think that Panasonic would list a filter holder as a spare part for the 7-14/4 when such a holder is not part of the lens itself in the first place? VDW1910 is indeed listed among the spare parts for the 7-14 but is in all likelihood just the ordinary rear baffle. If there were a filter holder specifically for the 7-14, although it is not included when you buy the lens, it would be offered as an accessory, not as a spare part. If you think you know better than I do, please let us know the basis for that claim.

Yes, VDW1910 is the ordinary rear baffle. I know because I bought one along with the VDW1911.  It's going back.

mightyanxious's gear list:mightyanxious's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads