My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Here it is with its original Panasonic rear gel filter holder ... from the 8 mm fisheye.

Looks pretty OEM-like, doesn't it?

With many thanks to Optical1 and Mjankor for helpful assistance along the way! This is forum cooperation at its best!

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,307
Re: My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Looks good!

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468

richarddd wrote:

Looks good!

Thanks Richard. Pretty happy that this appears to work out as expected. Excellent for purple-flare elimination as well as water-fall shooting.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,852

Very cool. Easy modification?

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more

Mjankor wrote:

Very cool. Easy modification?

Well, thanks to you and Optical1, there wasn't really much left for me to do. Everything worked out pretty much as expected.

There was one small catch that I kind of suspected would be there. You remember that I asked you how far the baffle+holder sticks down towards the rear element in the center. I did so because I worried there wouldn't be quite enough space there. It turned out I was right worrying about that. The thing goes free of the rear element itself but touches the ring that holds that element in place and thus won't go quite as far down as it should. Furthermore, an unfortunate side-effect is that you can't really tighten the screws that holds the baffle+holder to the mount fully or there would be quite a bit of tension on the plastic parts.

Luckily, the discrepancy is only half a mm or so and I solved the problem by "shimming" with a sheet of plastic, cut to shape and placed between the steel mount and the baffle/holder. This takes care of the tension problem. Of course, the baffle plus holder still sits about half a mm higher than it is meant to. Fortunately, there's enough space inside the camera body for that so no real problem.

I'll be back later with a full "how to" description, including pictures, for those interested in following suit.

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,266

An accomplishment. Congratulations! The 7-14 is number I on my shopping list, and I will look forward to your modification instructions for the somewhat ham handed.

F.

Elemental Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Excellent hack!

I'll have to remember that if I ever pick up the 7-14mm.  It's always been a tempting lens but I haven't needed it yet.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic GH5 +9 more
Acrill
Acrill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,134
Re: Excellent hack!

Looking forward to the write-up.

Did you buy the part separately or remove it from the fisheye?

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

Acrill wrote:

I don't have the fisheye and wouldn't have wanted to "steal" it from that lens if I had it. So I bought it separately (with the kind assistance of Optical1). I'll include information on part number, sources, and costs when I do the write-up.

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,758

That is a very good solution. How much has cost the rear filter older ?

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +10 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,820

Anders W wrote:

Here it is with its original Panasonic rear gel filter holder ... from the 8 mm fisheye.

With many thanks to Optical1 and Mjankor for helpful assistance along the way! This is forum cooperation at its best!

Wow. This looks like a nice, clean solution vs. some sort of front end filter which might compromise image quality due to curvature of the front lens element.

I had planned to epoxy a step-up ring the the front of an original 7-14mm lens cap, after cutting out the center face plate with a Dremel tool. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, though.

How easy is it to remove or change rear filters? What sort of filters can you use with it? Does it affect how the lens mounts to the camera?

Do you have links to the Optical1 web suite?

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 38,371

Anders W wrote:

Acrill wrote:

I don't have the fisheye and wouldn't have wanted to "steal" it from that lens if I had it. So I bought it separately (with the kind assistance of Optical1). I'll include information on part number, sources, and costs when I do the write-up.

Speaking for the lurking crowd, very much looking forward to the summary and instructions.   Much appreciated, Anders.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2
Najinsky Veteran Member • Posts: 5,739

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Wow. This looks like a nice, clean solution vs. some sort of front end filter which might compromise image quality due to curvature of the front lens element.

I had planned to epoxy a step-up ring the the front of an original 7-14mm lens cap, after cutting out the center face plate with a Dremel tool. Haven't gotten around to doing it yet, though.

How easy is it to remove or change rear filters? What sort of filters can you use with it? Does it affect how the lens mounts to the camera?

I was contemplating a spare lens cap option too, but figured I couldn't just cut out the face, as presumably the gaps that give the hood it's petal shape are there to let in corner light (probably at 7-8mm).

So I was contemplating turning the cap into a claw shape, but hadn't got around to thinking what the claw would then hold.

But Anders solution looks so neat (I had my doubts!) that I think I may go for that option.

As it happens, I took about a 100 shots with the 7-14 a couple of weeks back and only 1 had flare and even then it was quite mild and not on a keeper. But I'll probably only have to browse through my flare infested Cambodian shoot to get motivation back for adding the filter!

-Najinsky

Thats's the way to do it!

This, on the other hand is not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz5spB68aok

Not for the squeamish!

-Najinsky

Anders W wrote:

Looks pretty OEM-like, doesn't it?

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 9,820

Najinsky wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I was contemplating a spare lens cap option too, but figured I couldn't just cut out the face, as presumably the gaps that give the hood it's petal shape are there to let in corner light (probably at 7-8mm).

So I was contemplating turning the cap into a claw shape, but hadn't got around to thinking what the claw would then hold.

But Anders solution looks so neat (I had my doubts!) that I think I may go for that option.

As it happens, I took about a 100 shots with the 7-14 a couple of weeks back and only 1 had flare and even then it was quite mild and not on a keeper. But I'll probably only have to browse through my flare infested Cambodian shoot to get motivation back for adding the filter!

I think the petal shape is to cut down on weight. Or maybe it's just a fashionable thing.

The lens cap that came with my 100-300mm is a cone shape with no side notches.

I shoot with my 7-14mm pretty often and have rarely seen flare. If I shoot directly into lights or the sun I deserve it. After all, it's a feature, right? 

I think it's an issue for those who imagine than photo gear should be perfect, general complainers, or those who won't spend a grand on an ultra-wide lens.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +33 more

jeffharris wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I think the petal shape is to cut down on weight. Or maybe it's just a fashionable thing.

My finger would beg to differ:

The lens cap that came with my 100-300mm is a cone shape with no side notches.

I shoot with my 7-14mm pretty often and have rarely seen flare. If I shoot directly into lights or the sun I deserve it. After all, it's a feature, right? 

I think it's an issue for those who imagine than photo gear should be perfect, general complainers, or those who won't spend a grand on an ultra-wide lens.

Well, it did ruin my Cambodian pictures when the very bright sun was well out of the frame. It's a real issue caused by the protruding front element which can pick up light source not actually in the frame. So I have sympathy with some of the complaints.

But it is a very fine lens and well worth persevering with.

Bob Tullis wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Acrill wrote:

Speaking for the lurking crowd, very much looking forward to the summary and instructions.   Much appreciated, Anders.

Thanks Bob. Will try to put together that summary shortly.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

That is a very good solution. How much has cost the rear filter older ?

Still waiting for Optical1 (who helped me buy the part in the US and get it shipped to Sweden) to send me the bill. But I think the total will come to something like USD 40, including shipping. Probably, it would cost a bit more if you bought it in Portugal although not a whole lot more.

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

How easy is it to remove or change rear filters?

Don't know quite yet. I already have a Wratten 2A gel filter that I use to eliminate purple flare with the 7-14 on the E-M5. I have so far had it attached to the rear baffle by means of double-sided tape but the holder obviates the need for that solution. Just haven't had the time to cut myself a new piece that fits the holder yet. I hope/think it won't be too difficult to insert and remove it. But I'd say this is something you would want to do at the kitchen table before shooting, not out in the field.

What sort of filters can you use with it?

Just about any filter. You find the Kodak Wratten filters available here:

http://www.tiffen.com/kpa.html

Another source is Edmund Optics who can even provide polarizing gel:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/polarizers/linear-polarizers/high-contrast-linear-polarizing-film/3435

I guess it would be pretty difficult to turn it for proper effect though.

Does it affect how the lens mounts to the camera?

No.

No. Don't know if he has one. Optical1 is a member of this forum who had the courtesy of helping me buy the part. If what you actually want is information on where to buy and pricing, I'll include that in the "how to" post I will add to this thread later on.

Najinsky wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I remember your Cambodia shots from one of the purple-flare threads and with those in mind, I can certainly see why you would want the filter as well as the holder. I guess you have already seen the thread where I report my experiences with using a Wratten 2A filter (a kind of strong UV filter) to get rid of the purpleness of the flare:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51244950

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads