Intervalometer BS from Canon- may switch to a value added brand!!!

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 19,000
Re: seriously.. you have $7000+ of camera gear and cant afford to buy one!

pete zeugma wrote:

please... ditch all your canon gear

Yes....kind of like paying $1500 for a lens to find you have to spend another $80 on a lens hood.  The only thing more stupid than that is your attempt at justifying it.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: seriously.. you have $7000+ of camera gear and cant afford to buy one!

Dave Luttmann wrote:

pete zeugma wrote:

please... ditch all your canon gear

Yes....kind of like paying $1500 for a lens to find you have to spend another $80 on a lens hood.  The only thing more stupid than that is your attempt at justifying it.

Now if that lens was $1580 with the hood included would you complain?

NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,329
Inexpensive, works well: Vello (the B and H house brand)

and there may be even cheaper versions on Ebay.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
kevindar
kevindar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,320
In case you want a solution and not just belly aching

Magic lantern provides a frimware, which amongst many other extremely useful feautures, supports intervelometer.  hte chdk firmware is also available for most canon cameras (not dslr).

I would also strongly suggest a 25 dollar ebay wired remote release with itnervelometer function.  a wired remote to me is a must, but then again, I shoot landscape.

However, if this post is primarily to complain about canon, then cheers.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Sony a6000 +22 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,575
Or

Dave Luttmann wrote:

summitphotographer wrote:

You can find non-customer centric businesses in every industry, this post is more about pointing out Canon's disinterest in placing basic standards that benefit their consumer in their products...when others (namely Nikon) are doing this at no extra charge.  I don't see the comparision between Apple/Microsoft to canon in the case of the missing intervalometer.  Canon needs to quit half-assing their product releases.

An excellent business principle...how do you think Microsoft and Apple make so much money

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Just buy a Pentax or Nikon.  Problem solved.

load magic lanternĀ 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1010.0

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
pete zeugma Regular Member • Posts: 476
bit like buying a car and expecting the fuel to be included in the price hey!

nt.

OP summitphotographer Regular Member • Posts: 233
Less

Less

meland wrote:

Now if that lens was $1580 with the hood included would you complain?

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Re: bit like buying a car and expecting the fuel to be included in the price hey!

Not even close, you miss the point.

pete zeugma wrote:

nt.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Re: Intervalometer BS from Canon- may switch to a value added brand!!!

Who gives a flip, this forum has become laughable over the past 5+ years, its a grat place for tantrums.  I understand if you can't see the problem of Canon including a basic software feature set on a relatively cheap S40 and not including that feature on cameras north of the s40 food chain, however you might want to question why you don't understand this problem.

meland wrote:

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing more reasonably supported.  Behind on sensor tech, behind on priceing models, that may be new, but screwing your customers out of basic features not so new.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Unbelievable!  Presumably you knew the specifications of these cameras when you bought them?  And yet you now blame Canon and Panasonic for screwing their customers.  And quote: "If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D ....."  sounds like a four year old having a tantrum. Have a re-read of your own post and see, sadly, how you come across.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Re: Inexpensive, works well: Vello (the B and H house brand)

Thanks for the tip, I'm messing with ML Beta 4 right now, hopefully it doesn't brick my gear.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Re: In case you want a solution and not just belly aching

Kinda both, thanks for the suggestions.

kevindar wrote:

Magic lantern provides a frimware, which amongst many other extremely useful feautures, supports intervelometer.  hte chdk firmware is also available for most canon cameras (not dslr).

I would also strongly suggest a 25 dollar ebay wired remote release with itnervelometer function.  a wired remote to me is a must, but then again, I shoot landscape.

However, if this post is primarily to complain about canon, then cheers.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

The Davinator
Sorry to break this to you....

pete zeugma wrote:

nt.

It is included.....or have you always pushed your car off the lot?

Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
The Davinator
Re: bit like buying a car and expecting the fuel to be included in the price hey!

Not even close, you miss the point.

pete zeugma wrote:

nt.

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

Not only did he miss the point, but his analogy fell flat on its face because it didn't support his position

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,073
and you just noticed this LOL?

Hey, I agree with you. But it's a little late to be selling 7K worth of equipment. Maybe you could buy a $20 Chinese knock off timer and be done with it?

Nah, you'd rather be more unreasonable that the companies you're bad mouthing. Scrap $7000. Forget about IQ, focus, lenses. Their not important! I need my intervalometer and I want it now!

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301

I just don't understand why the intervalometer is not a standard feature either.  All cameras already have a self-timer mode - how hard can it be to allow us to specify the start delay time and add a number of shots and an interval to it?  While they're at it, allow us to specify that start time in HH:MM:SS rather than a start delay time to make our lives a little easier.

I also have no idea why most cameras don't allow us to save our custom settings to the memory card so we can have a virtually unlimited number of sets available and/or share them with others.  I'd like to be able to call up custom settings for rare occasions where I really can't remember what worked well the last time I faced a similar situation.  And again, while we're at it, let us name the custom settings to something more apropos for its intended purpose - such as BIF for Birds In Flight or MACRO or STACKING, etc.  It all seems ridiculously simple to me.

I don't think that Panasonic is getting rich on their accessory business - except maybe on their batteries.  For the FZ-series they only offer a wired shutter release - no wireless and no intervalometer.  And if you try to order Panasonic accessories, they often sit on back order for some time before Panasonic cancels your order because they are unavailable.  I find this even worse than simply leaving features out.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
Buy Pentax and ....

you'll get interval shooting for free and multiple exposure as a bonus as well.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
--------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
nuke12
nuke12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,406

I think they are all the same. Your missing that feature but some other brand will be missing something else. Tell me why the lower end Nikon DSLRs won't meter older manual lenses? All the hardware is in the camera. It only requires firmware but nope. You have to buy a pro or semi-pro body to get the feature.

I think it boils down to making people buy accessories or more expensive bodies. All in the name of company $$$$ profits.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +26 more
TimR32225 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,402
Not BS... (it's normal business)

Ubiquity99 wrote:

Shane Pope wrote:

All companies have items called Accessories

Canon TC-80N3 intervalometer remote timer for 7D, 5D, 50D,40D,30D,20D,10D,D60

You forget that there is literally no reason to require a $125 intervalometer accessory when it could be added in firmware for free. Well, no reason that doesn't involve trying to milk your customers out of $125.

Would  you rather have paid $125 more for the camera with an included intervalometer, or pay what you did and add the intervalometer as an option IF you decide you need it??

Canon does this to appeal to a wider range of potential consumers.

Why do you think Microsoft as Windows 7, standard, home, home premium, and ultimate (and whatever other versions)???

It's all about the money and how to market the product to the widest audience of consumers.  They have to offer dumbed down versions for folks who would not buy otherwise, but they always have premium versions to suck as much money as they can out of the rest of us.

The majority of consumers would never use (or be willing to pay for) the added option of an intervalometer.  So Canon holds the price down and offers it as an accessory.

It's just normal business, plain and simple.  Get used to it because it's always been that way and it's never going to change.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,159
Use Magic Lantern, it's free and will add a lot more than intervalometer to 50D

So...we have a hummingbird nest on our back porch with 2 eggs and a faithful mom, we are trying our best to not disturb her, I've been able to setup my tripod in a way she tolerates, but my 5D, 10D, and LX5 all lack a built in intervalometer.  I dug through an old drawer and found our Powershot S40, charged up the batt, and checked the menu, it has a built-in intervalometer which allows for 1-100 shots from 1 min to 60min apart.  wtf Canon, why does my 11 year old digicam have this feature and my $7K worth of later bodys do not?  There's no excuse for this, there's no reason to force people to buy the f#*king electronic shtter release, especially now that Nikon, Pany, and Sony have the intervalometer built in like the ole S40.

I'd like to post some 5D 100 2.8 Macro photos of the little nest, but instead I'll post some S40 intervalometer pics.

To be fair I'm going to post something similar in the Pany forum because my LX5 lacks this feature also, wheras the LX7 includes it- also BS.

If I don't see some firmware updates for the 5D and later bodies that include the intervalometer, I'm gone and gonna pawn my Canon S#!t for somthing more reasonably supported.  Behind on sensor tech, behind on priceing models, that may be new, but screwing your customers out of basic features not so new.

Rather a harsh assessment, I must say. Are you sure you're trying to photo hummingbird babies and not roller derby? I really doubt that Canon is 'screwing' anyone leaving off a feature that the vast majority of users probably won't use anyhow.

Why not install the free Magic Lantern firmware which is available for your camera and you'll have your intervalometer for free.

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,159
Re: You miss the point entirely

Forcing people to purchase an "accessory" which in the case of the TC-80N3 is standard on the S40 and all of the Nikons is not good business in principle, that is if the business is customer centric.

On the other hand the Canons all have an electronic first shutter curtain that is indispensable for some kinds of photography and you can't get it on any Nikon DSLR.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads