Best lens I have ever used.

Started Apr 28, 2013 | User reviews
garyknrd
garyknrd Contributing Member • Posts: 809
Best lens I have ever used.

I traded the IS 500 for this one plus the extra money? ouch!!

But it was worth it for me. The weight savings is worth it for me. It is extremely sharp right out of the gate. F4.0 is tack sharp. I use it with the Mark IV and before that the 7D. Excellent results with both cameras. the AF on the Mark IV makes this lens shine IMO.

I debated between this and the 600 and decided this one was the one for me. At 60 now I do not want to lug around all the extra weight.

The only negitive I have is the weight is not centered properly. When holding it by the handle or foot. I have replaced the foot with a RRS foot.

Hundreds of shots with it at: www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Or my web site: www.birdsthatfart.com

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM
Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM
Telephoto prime lens • Canon EF
garyknrd's score
Average community score
Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,969
Re: Best lens I have ever used.

Sweet lens! When mentioning the off-centered weight, is that with or without a pro body attached? I think Canon designs pro lenses assuming there is a hefty body to counterbalance the lens. A real oversight if they messed up the balance!

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
rebel99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025

garyknrd wrote:

I traded the IS 500 for this one plus the extra money? ouch!!

But it was worth it for me. The weight savings is worth it for me. It is extremely sharp right out of the gate. F4.0 is tack sharp. I use it with the Mark IV and before that the 7D. Excellent results with both cameras. the AF on the Mark IV makes this lens shine IMO.

I debated between this and the 600 and decided this one was the one for me. At 60 now I do not want to lug around all the extra weight.

The only negitive I have is the weight is not centered properly. When holding it by the handle or foot. I have replaced the foot with a RRS foot.

Hundreds of shots with it at: www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

Or my web site: www.birdsthatfart.com

well, i just ordered the 600mm f4 II to complement my new 300mm f2.8 II and i am very excited to put it to good use i do have the 1dmk4 but i also ordered the 1Dx to have a FF camera. now, i am set to retire i thought about getting the 500mm f4II but it suffers from not having enough reach, although the lighter weight of it is nice. my biceps are pretty strong at the age of 61 so i am not concerned about extra weight that much congrats on your new lens, enjoy.

cheerz.

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

I think you are talking mark II version. I have mark I version which is already very good and mark II is even better and noticeably lighter.

-- hide signature --
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Anything else?

I like the name of your bird website.

Other than the reduction of weight and the fact that is it sharp at f/4, do you have any other observations to share?

For example, is it noticeably quicker updating AI Servo focus when tracking flying birds with the 1DMkIV? More to the point, are you getting more in focus shots with it that you did with the previous version? Does it seem to perform better than the previous version with the 1.4x extender on the 1DMkIV resulting in a greater number of acceptable shots?

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,529

Love the website name! Have you left a "dropping" at Art Morris' site?

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
garyknrd
OP garyknrd Contributing Member • Posts: 809

Sorry I have been out shooting..

I only upgraded to the Mark IV after I bought the new lens. Before that I was using the 7D. So not much help for you there. I know with the Mark IV my keeper rate has at least doubled. BIF is a no brain er ( very easy ) AF spot for the little birds is very good. With the 7D I had a lot of Out of focus shots. Not with the IV. The more I use that camera the more I like it. I also have the 300 II and with the 7D it was a very undependable lens with and without a T.C. With the Mark IV it is my second favorite lens. Perfect AF and light. The 500 is the sharpest I think, and the best all rounder. But the new 300 II is running a close second. IMO.

Thanks for the compliments on the web site. A great hobby. And for me a lot of fun. I stay busy in retirement everyday. And I  make it fun. Traveling and photography is a great life. I up date my site regularly with the birds and locations. I have been in Thailand for 8 months now this hop. Beautiful parks and exotic birds.

My lens is back heavy. Towards the camera body. I finally put an extension on the foot so I can move my hand back when I carry the lens.

Have I left any droppings?  LOL I will remember that. Made me laugh and a great line.

Gary

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

www.birdsthatfart.com

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM
Aurangabadkar Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Totally agree!

Gary,

I have the 500 II f/4 L IS and wow what a lens! I am loving it! One  important feature worth the money is the 4 Stop IS. And the AF is lightening fast. The IQ with 1.4 TC III  is amazing. AF is very good too with TC1.4.

Its my best & most used lens now! I got a Don Zeck lens cap for it & it does it's job well.

Highly recommended lens for birding!!!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Sanjeev

Aurangabadkar's gear list:Aurangabadkar's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Thanks for the additional thoughts

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Enjoy your retirement pursuits.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads