Is it just me or...

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
dgehrke Regular Member • Posts: 130
Is it just me or...

Please excuse my naivete in asking this question but is it solely a marketing ploy for Canon to announce new lenses (taking months and/or years to make it into the hands of consumers), thereby, getting purchasing commitments from interested buyers and keeping them from jumping ship to the competition or are there other forces at work here which I haven't considered, i.e., manufacturing issues, etc? I often wonder if some announced products even exist.

dgehrke's gear list:dgehrke's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Leigh A. Wax Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Re: Is it just me or...

I think that with the 200-400 there were unforeseen issues found in field testing to overcome.

In general, however, I'm sure a lot of "the other" takes place as to marketing ploys.

Certainly, once Canon has definitely decided to produce a particular product it makes sense for them to announce it, in some degree to discourage potential buyers from choosing a competitor's product.

Leigh

www.leighwax.com

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096

I don't think I would join or leave a systems for the existence of one untested lens.  I doubt that the announcement of a lens like this has a significant sway on new purchasers or people who have convinced themselves to leave a system.  Just my guess though.  

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837

Keith makes a very good point.

May be the reason Canon never came up with that lens because they realize that as well.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Atoche
Atoche Contributing Member • Posts: 677

Companies the size of canon do not need pre order commitment to produce a lens, that is what small upstart companies would need to do.

my opinion is that there are other factors at play.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +9 more
jcampy Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Now that Sigma has announced the 135mm f1.8 we will see if Canon announces a new 135mm.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

dgehrke wrote:

Please excuse my naivete in asking this question but is it solely a marketing ploy for Canon to announce new lenses (taking months and/or years to make it into the hands of consumers), thereby, getting purchasing commitments from interested buyers and keeping them from jumping ship to the competition or are there other forces at work here which I haven't considered, i.e., manufacturing issues, etc? I often wonder if some announced products even exist.

Any reputable company, including Canon, has to weigh up the possible value of a 'spoiling tactic' (such as announcing a product early in order to block competitor sales) against antagonising customers, and of course retailers, when a product is announced and yet does not become available for a long time.  I can tell you that the dissatisfaction of photo dealers is very strong when such a spoiling tactic potentially stops them being able to sell anything and Canon certainly does not want to create a negative feeling from their distributors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads