With T4i discontinued should I still buy one if I can find one ?

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions
JohnInSoCal New Member • Posts: 1
With T4i discontinued should I still buy one if I can find one ?

I went into bestbuy today to buy a t4i for my daughter and they pulled the remaining units they had from the shelves and are not going to sell them.  I figured they would sell any remaining inventory they had but is there an actual problem with the cameras ?   Costco has a 2 lens bundle for $900 for a t4i so I was thinking about trying to find one there but wasn't sure if I should pull the trigger or bite the bullet and get the T5i even though it's pretty much the same as the T4i

thanks,

John

Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon EOS Rebel T4i (EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,048
Re: With T4i discontinued should I still buy one if I can find one ?

JohnInSoCal wrote:

I went into bestbuy today to buy a t4i for my daughter and they pulled the remaining units they had from the shelves and are not going to sell them.  I figured they would sell any remaining inventory they had but is there an actual problem with the cameras ?   Costco has a 2 lens bundle for $900 for a t4i so I was thinking about trying to find one there but wasn't sure if I should pull the trigger or bite the bullet and get the T5i even though it's pretty much the same as the T4i

There is no problem with the T4i. It is an evolutionary model in the series of Rebel cameras and is as solid as they all have been. Who knows why the store pulled it, but it's nothing wrong with the camera. I just bought a T3i six months ago and am quite happy with it; if you can find a T4i at a price you like there's no reason not to buy it.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Grump Junior Member • Posts: 27

I just ordered a T4i plus 18-135 two days ago from B&H.  Amazon has them too for the same price.  If bought at the same time you also get the 55-250 for $82.  The T5i is $300 more with the same lens and NO option for the discounted 55-250.

So I guess my answer is yes, buy one if you find one.

-- hide signature --

Dave

kewlguy
kewlguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

yes, buy it if you can find one - unless you prefer to buy the overpriced version of it called T5i...

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R III +89 more
AmateurSnaps Forum Member • Posts: 86

They can only be pulling them to avoid direct comparison to the the near identical overpriced 700D.

I would keep an eye out for some bargain 650D's as they will be selling them off somewhere.

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,257

Grump wrote:

I just ordered a T4i plus 18-135 two days ago from B&H.  Amazon has them too for the same price.  If bought at the same time you also get the 55-250 for $82.  The T5i is $300 more with the same lens and NO option for the discounted 55-250.

So I guess my answer is yes, buy one if you find one.

+1  That's a screamin' deal.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS M5
Jeff1981 New Member • Posts: 6

The only reason you might get the T5i is for the new 18-55mm STM lens but if you're going for the 18-135 like I did it's a non-issue. It's $799 at Amazon. I bought mine there about a week before the T5i was introduced and have no regrets. It's a great camera and while I kind of wish the 18-135 had a little bit more reach it's the perfect all around lens.

Jeff1981's gear list:Jeff1981's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
anthonyhnj Regular Member • Posts: 247

I was in bestbuy today and the and the sales associate told me the same thing about the T4i. He had said that it was discontinued and bestbuy had removed them from their inventory.  He also said that there were issuses with the T4i's rubber grip that it was getting eroded from the sweat of  a persons hands.

I'm really curious as to why management at bestbuy is telling their employees to say this to customers.

Anthony

-- hide signature --

Somewhere, Someday, I'll get it right
http://www.onedumbphoto.com

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

JohnInSoCal wrote:

thanks,

John

Who knows what they were thinking...but some Japanese companies completely avoid model #'s with 4 because the word sounds like 'death'.  Just like some American buildings skip floor 13 on an building, many Asian buildings omit floor 4.  I'm guessing they felt the need to swap out the model for the very minor and rather quickly fixed itchy grippy 'scandal'.  Funny how Canon chooses to kill the t4i over this very minor scandal that no one cares about, but Nikon presses forward with the dusty D600.

If you are not a superstitious person, I'm guessing you should snag the t4i + STM lens for cheap if you can.  The t5i doesn't do much better with its liveview focusing...DigitalRev already made fun of it.  It's more for artistic purposes when recording movies I suppose but even then its a bit half-baked.  I'm guessing EOS M 2nd generation may start to truly address hybrid-AF, but the t5i surely does not.  I think its possible that senior management at Canon are all probably elderly Japanese men that at first may have dared to go with the '4' model, but perhaps are now thinking otherwise with the itchy grips (i.e. confirmation that it is a sign of bad luck to them).

FYI I think the itchy grip scandal has *long* been resolved and had its 15 minutes of fame which Canon took quick action to fix.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
xfoto Forum Member • Posts: 94

Discontinued but eBay only has like 600...

Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499
Canon doesn't say it's discontinued.........yet

Perhaps BB has some odd sales strategy involved, but according to Canon it's not yet discontinued.....

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

B&H still has them in stock..............

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
icewing Regular Member • Posts: 144

Jeff1981 wrote:

The only reason you might get the T5i is for the new 18-55mm STM lens but if you're going for the 18-135 like I did it's a non-issue. It's $799 at Amazon. I bought mine there about a week before the T5i was introduced and have no regrets. It's a great camera and while I kind of wish the 18-135 had a little bit more reach it's the perfect all around lens.

Same here, upgraded from the original Digital Rebel to the t4i with 18-135, and I'm very pleased with it.  Used it this weekend to video a college singing performance and am VERY pleased with the result.

plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125
Re: Canon doesn't say it's discontinued.........yet

Amazon currently selling with the 18-135 STM lens for $799. Can't see that the T5i is worth the extra $$

Greg

Binary Hulled Ion Regular Member • Posts: 334

So, it would be this question that made me come out of lurksville... (that and the fact that there's another thread with a D90 comparison while a D90 I've been loaning is currently sitting right next to me)

I used to work for Best Buy. They'd come up with the most bizarre explanations for things sometimes, just to avoid talking about marketing and inventory strategies. They're clearing up shelf space and selling their current inventory back to their supplier to make room for the T5i, because BestBuy is all about the new hotness. Those T4i's sitting in inventory will wind up on various sites (including Canon's own store) as refurbished models.

Another weird connection: I just (as in about 7 hours ago) ordered a refrubished T3i kit. I've been shopping for this thing for quite a while, and the T3i duked it out with a Nikon D5200 for a while. And, before I wind up digressing even further, I wound up pulling the trigger on it early because Canon has a sale on through May 4 where if you spend x you get y off. The refurbished T3i with the 18-55 IS II kit wound up costing me just a few hairs over $400. So, if you're trying to get something relatively modern on a tight budget, them's your apples.

Binary Hulled Ion's gear list:Binary Hulled Ion's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
MontyCamera Junior Member • Posts: 39

I am also facing same dilemma. Have rebel XT(350d). Its still takes great stills, but only stills. I am like to upgrade to a canon that takes great videos, I have interest in short movies/films.

I was  thinking of T2i. But realized t3i is also as better as t2i and same price ( refub models from Canon). I could get t4i by paying $400 extra , but is it worth it?  would that $400 be better off on lenses ?.

Also, if I say I might get myself a full frame like 5d m3 after a year or so, how does this influence the camera choise - t4i or t3i ( or t2i as well).

MontyCamera's gear list:MontyCamera's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
stuartp56 Regular Member • Posts: 178

No shortage that I know of. Costco is still selling T3i by the pallet load. T4i hasn't shown up there yet but expect it to soon. Probably where Best Buy's stock will show up!  LOL!

I really like the T4i I ordered the day before the T5i was announced! No problems with it. My new laptop should be so trouble free!

Enjoy whatever you get!

stuartp56's gear list:stuartp56's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II +1 more
Silverwind Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

MontyCamera wrote:

I was  thinking of T2i. But realized t3i is also as better as t2i and same price ( refub models from Canon). I could get t4i by paying $400 extra , but is it worth it?  would that $400 be better off on lenses ?.

You have to ask if 5 FPS vs 3.7 FPS is worth it.

Have to ask if ALL focus points are cross-type vs just the center is worth it.

Have to ask if 6400 (which is quite usable on the T4i) is worth it.

This is a very good and quick link to browse through

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon-T3i

For me, I had the T3i and bought the T4i because of the above mentioned items and a few others.

Socal Guy New Member • Posts: 2

I also was told by Bestbuy sales associate that the Canon t4i was discontinued then tried to sale me Canon EOS SL1.

I was just browsing looking at Lens and Canon Camera, I already bought the t4i at Amazon at a great price and it works great. Curious to know why Bestbuy is telling employees the t4i is discontinued when its not.

Socal Guy New Member • Posts: 2

I bought my t4i at Amazon they have used camera's BUT they are NOT Used sellers can't advertise NEW because box was opened or missing scan sticker, box torn but they are brand new. I called seller to make sure the statement they made about being brand new in unopened box was true and they confirmed and had zero clicks on the shutter.

I got mine at a $200 discount and it works great.... Besybuy told me the same thing about the t4i being discontinued but i have found nowhere Canon is discontinuing t4i. They tried to sell me Canon SL1

Buy the t4i its a good camera

EduPortas Regular Member • Posts: 430

The T4i is a great camera. Try scourring various BestBuy stores.

Over here in Mexico we had the T4i kit with the very respectable 18-135mm STM for a very low

price for about a week and then puf! in came the T5i at a much higher regular price.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads