Viewer with caption derived from metadata

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Questions
Mike Dallwitz New Member • Posts: 6
Viewer with caption derived from metadata

I use Windows, but I want to send some images to a friend who has a Mac. I use Zoner Photo Studio to annotate and display my images. It includes a viewer and slideshow which can display a 'caption' with each image. The caption can be customized to any combination of the metadata. I normally use the title and the date and time when the photo was taken, e.g.

Dry Falls, Hwy 17, W of Coulee City WA  29/09/09 16:56

The attached image shows how this looks in the Zoner 'Viewer'. Also available in Zoner is a 'Slideshow', which displays only the image and the bottom caption.

Is there a Mac program, preferably free or at least not very expensive, with similar capabilities?

ANSWER:
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,686
Re: Viewer with caption derived from metadata

Mike Dallwitz wrote:

I use Windows, but I want to send some images to a friend who has a Mac. I use Zoner Photo Studio to annotate and display my images. It includes a viewer and slideshow which can display a 'caption' with each image. The caption can be customized to any combination of the metadata. I normally use the title and the date and time when the photo was taken, e.g.

Dry Falls, Hwy 17, W of Coulee City WA  29/09/09 16:56

The attached image shows how this looks in the Zoner 'Viewer'. Also available in Zoner is a 'Slideshow', which displays only the image and the bottom caption.

Is there a Mac program, preferably free or at least not very expensive, with similar capabilities?

If one already has (and uses) Aperture, there is a free export plugin called BorderFX that can among other things add metadata to the border or on the image when exporting images via it. It is however limited in which fields it can use even thought that is supposed to be customizable (but I have not managed to).

Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222

I think the OP wants to know if his friend's Mac can read the metadata that he is adding in "Zoner".  Probably.  If your friend has a program that recognizes standard IPTC metadata (Lightroom, Aperture, etc.), and "Zoner" actually applies the information as IPTC metadata, then they should be able to display it.  However, if "Zoner" somehow adds the text as a non-standard graphic overlay, all bets are off.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more

Actually, even Preview, a standard image browser shipped with all Macs can see this metadata.

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
OP Mike Dallwitz New Member • Posts: 6

noirdesir wrote:

If one already has (and uses) Aperture, there is a free export plugin called BorderFX that can among other things add metadata to the border or on the image when exporting images via it. It is however limited in which fields it can use even thought that is supposed to be customizable (but I have not managed to).

Thanks. I looked at the BorderFX Web site and found that it's also available for iPhoto. But it seems that it works by producing a new file with borders, titles, or watermarks permanently added to the image itself, i.e. to the visible part of the image. What I want is a Mac viewer that just displays specified metadata when the image is viewed.

To further illustrate this concept, I've attached another view of the same image (i.e. the same, unaltered file), this time viewed in the slideshow mode of the free Windows viewer, IrfanView. In this example, I've specified that the exposure and aperture should be included in the caption. I don't normally include that information, as it's not necessary for enjoyment of the image by the average user; rather, I just have what you might write under a photo in a paper album: the subject and date. The complete metadata is always available for viewing and/or editing by other functions of the programs. I've used an 800x600 window to keep the file size down, though, of course, I'd normally run the slideshow in full-screen mode.

Alpha Doug wrote:

I think the OP wants to know if his friend's Mac can read the metadata that he is adding in "Zoner".  Probably.  If your friend has a program that recognizes standard IPTC metadata (Lightroom, Aperture, etc.), and "Zoner" actually applies the information as IPTC metadata, then they should be able to display it.  However, if "Zoner" somehow adds the text as a non-standard graphic overlay, all bets are off.

Actually, even Preview, a standard image browser shipped with all Macs can see this metadata.

Thanks. Zoner does use standard metadata. The 'Help' says:

"Information can be stored in three types of so-called 'data sources' — EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format), IPTC and XMP (eXtensible Metadata Platform). ... 'Primary Data Source' sets which data source (which standard) should be given preference when loading picture information. This option does not affect the saving of information. Information is always saved to all supported sources. In light of the limitations of the EXIF and IPTC standards, encoding problems can occur when using Zoner Photo Studio in conjunction with other programs or web galleries. Therefore we recommend leaving the default, that is the XMP standard, which does not suffer these problems."

I posted a detailed reply to noirdesir, but at the moment it's not visible because it's awaiting moderation. There are many programs that can view detailed metadata in a separate pane, but what I want is the ability to view selected metadata as a 'caption' in a slideshow. As I said in my previous reply: 'what you might write under a photo in a paper album: the subject and date'. That reply also includes a screenshot showing this in IrfanView, another Windows program.

Mike,

Could you possibly send me a small slideshow with the included metadata.  That way I can try it with various options and get back to you.  Do you have a Dropbox site of something that I can download it from?

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug wrote:

Could you possibly send me a small slideshow with the included metadata.  That way I can try it with various options and get back to you.

Thanks, Doug. At https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJpSkhRYTJRWUlPd3NUQw you can download a file test_files-MJD.zip (2MB) containing 3 sample images, plus a screenshot showing these images in the Zoner Manager. The link will expire on 4 May 2013.

As explained in my previous posts, I'm just trying to find a Mac slideshow viewer to sequentially display a given set of files, with overlaid captions taken from the metadata. But forum users might be interested in some of the other ways to use metadata in Zoner Photo Studio. In the Manager, you can display your choice of metadata next to each thumbnail, which is handy for browsing your images. Also, you can restrict the view to images with specified metadata; for example, the attached screenshot shows only those images whose title contains the word 'bridge'. The GPS data can also be used in this way, for example, to show only those images within a specified radius of a given image.

I found a Mac editor/viewer able to display metadata in a caption: GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.de). The attached image is a screenshot from the slideshow mode.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,686

Mike Dallwitz wrote:

I found a Mac editor/viewer able to display metadata in a caption: GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.de). The attached image is a screenshot from the slideshow mode.

A more general description of what you were looking for would be a solution that places text from the metadata of images next to images in an automated way and that can be viewed by a recipient. For me personally the obvious solution would be to either create a web gallery (which could include a slideshow) or a photobook (as a pdf). With that I would be able to control the appearance.

noirdesir wrote:

A more general description of what you were looking for would be a solution that places text from the metadata of images next to images in an automated way and that can be viewed by a recipient. For me personally the obvious solution would be to either create a web gallery (which could include a slideshow) or a photobook (as a pdf). With that I would be able to control the appearance.

I agree that a general, automated process is desirable. Ideally (in my opinion) every image browser, viewer, or slideshow, whether on the Web or on a local computer, would by default display a caption derived from the metadata title or description. To encourage and facilitate the use of those fields, browsers and editors should, by default, have boxes in which the fields are displayed and can be directly edited, as in the above screenshot of the Zoner Manager.

The user and/or the author should preferably be able to configure this process by specifying the fields to be displayed in each context, and their formatting. For example, the above Zoner Manager screen shows, adjacent to each thumbnail and on separate lines, the filename, the description in bold, and the date and time when the photo was taken.

Of course, an automated process wouldn't preclude more 'tailored' work, such as arranging several photos and accompanying text on a single page of a PDF file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads