Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Jostian
Jostian Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 5DS R Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +2 more
mikeysaling Regular Member • Posts: 353
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

I sometimes wonder if using AF S rather than AF C has caused some of the focus issues on the d7000. It seems that once focussed ie half a press of the release button - its quite possible to lean forward or in some other way change your distance to the subject (particularly if its a close up) before fully pressing the button.  With a narrow depth of field this could cause the effect of back focus.

So yes - why not keep it set to AF C

trespassing Regular Member • Posts: 166
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Just one example where AF-S would be more appropriate would be for people who focus and then recompose their shot before actually releasing the shutter.

-- hide signature --

Matt

LouCioccio
LouCioccio Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Just go over pages 91 through 95, especially 94 and 9 point dynamic really helped on people shots.

I have two bodies (one refurb and one new) maybe just luck of the draw but both AIS manual lenses are sharp plus the two kits (refurbs also) and the 50d/1.8 but then I am old school VR IS NEVER ON.

Here is a 28/3.5 at F/16 using hyper focal distance, a bounced Olympus FL50 flash (cannot remember if auto or manual) and I shoot only in manual mode.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

 LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 8,799
Oh come along now Mikey ....

mikeysaling wrote:

I sometimes wonder if using AF S rather than AF C has caused some of the focus issues on the d7000. It seems that once focussed ie half a press of the release button - its quite possible to lean forward or in some other way change your distance to the subject (particularly if its a close up) before fully pressing the button.  With a narrow depth of field this could cause the effect of back focus.

So yes - why not keep it set to AF C

.. Surely you know the D7000 is a paragon of virtue and has no focus or any other shortcomings? It's all user error (according to the fanboys, that is).

AF-S or AF-C, as appropriate.

Jostian
Jostian OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Re: Oh come along now Mikey ....

The reason I ask is cos with the D7100 and the Tamron 17 to 50mm SP F2.8, when I use centre focus (5 point) with AF-S I have as many out of focus as in Focus shots, not sure why, but with exactly the same settings and just changing the AF to AF-C I have every shot in focus, photographing the same objects from same angle with same lighting etc. And I have no idea why the difference? hence my question, could be an issue specifically with the Tamron not sure...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 5DS R Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +2 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,683
Re: Oh come along now Mikey ....

Jostian wrote:

The reason I ask is cos with the D7100 and the Tamron 17 to 50mm SP F2.8, when I use centre focus (5 point) with AF-S I have as many out of focus as in Focus shots, not sure why, but with exactly the same settings and just changing the AF to AF-C I have every shot in focus, photographing the same objects from same angle with same lighting etc. And I have no idea why the difference? hence my question, could be an issue specifically with the Tamron not sure...

I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 a couple of years ago but it focused erratically on my D300. Even mounted on a tripod and using the self timer, about 90% of the photos were either front focused or rear focused. I never thought to try using AF-C, so I returned it and bought Nikon's 17-55mm f/2.8 and got 100% perfectly focused photos. That's not to say that all Tamrons have this problem. Maybe we just got stuck with a couple of Tamron's out of spec. samples, aka lemons.

goosel
goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
slightly shorter Battery Life
1

AF-C potentialy refocuses on slight movement. That uses some electricak energy which drains a battery.

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

AF-S can help you set up a focus trap and avoid hunting in some situation (ie AF-S on the ground/ara where you expect your subject to enter, lock the focus and wait for it). AF-C will cause hunting, and especially with a slower focusing lens may totally miss the shot.

Also AF-S will allow the focus assist illuminator to come on in poor lighting, it may make a big difference over AF-C.

At least that is just about the only time ever I use AF-S.

Jostian
Jostian OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,195
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

blue_cheese wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

AF-S can help you set up a focus trap and avoid hunting in some situation (ie AF-S on the ground/ara where you expect your subject to enter, lock the focus and wait for it). AF-C will cause hunting, and especially with a slower focusing lens may totally miss the shot.

Also AF-S will allow the focus assist illuminator to come on in poor lighting, it may make a big difference over AF-C.

At least that is just about the only time ever I use AF-S.

Thanks for the insight, appreciated, still not sure why I have issues with AF-S as mentioned in my earlier post... frustrating, will try in better light and see if the same happens.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 5DS R Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +2 more
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

mikeysaling wrote:

I sometimes wonder if using AF S rather than AF C has caused some of the focus issues on the d7000. It seems that once focussed ie half a press of the release button - its quite possible to lean forward or in some other way change your distance to the subject (particularly if its a close up) before fully pressing the button.  With a narrow depth of field this could cause the effect of back focus.

So yes - why not keep it set to AF C

No, that was not a main cause of "focus issues" with the D7K.  The same thing would apply to any camera.

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?
3

LouCioccio wrote:

Just go over pages 91 through 95, especially 94 and 9 point dynamic really helped on people shots.

I have two bodies (one refurb and one new) maybe just luck of the draw but both AIS manual lenses are sharp plus the two kits (refurbs also) and the 50d/1.8 but then I am old school VR IS NEVER ON.

Here is a 28/3.5 at F/16 using hyper focal distance, a bounced Olympus FL50 flash (cannot remember if auto or manual) and I shoot only in manual mode.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

Why are you giving advice, when you take a shot like that at f/16?

nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?
1

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

There's nothing "wrong" with it, per se, but each focus mode has some advantages.

AF-S: more "solid" focus lock, focus and recompose is easier (can be done with AF-C, but requires using AF-ON or AF-LOCK), less hunting, probably some other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

AF-C: allows for focus to be kept with slight movement by photographer, subject, or both, as you mentioned.

There should be no reason why you can't get sharp shots from AF-S.

JimCee Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Oh come along now Mikey ....

Really...?  I thought most posters on the dpreview Nikon DX SLR forum hated Nikons!  At least judging by the constant complaints of oil on sensors, focusing problems, repair issues, etc. etc.

To the OP, you might consider using AF-A as your usual setting.

Jim

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,724
Re: Oh come along now Mikey ....
1

JimCee wrote:

To the OP, you might consider using AF-A as your usual setting.

No... no... no... and NO.... in the delay that setting is just the worst of both

TOR8472 Senior Member • Posts: 1,616
Re: focus sleep?

My D7000 has a tendency to "focus sleep" where the lens loses contact with the body and stops focusing, yet it will stilll release the shutter (even though in focus priority mode), resulting in an out of focus shot. It isn't always noticeable in AF-A or S, but is very noticeable in AF-C, plus having it in AF-C significantly reduces the tendency to do it. I have mine in AF-C at all times now for this reason, and I very rarely have issues now.

It is annoying, but not so bad that I'm going to send to Nikon to check and have them return it after testing it for 5 minutes and not finding the problem. I've followed the forum for years and know that others have had this problem and gotten the lens release button fixed as a light touch of it would cause this problem, but that does not appear to be my issue, perhaps it is yours.

While the comment about additional battery usage in AF C is certainly true, it is negligible in my opinion. I still get more than a 1000 shots per charge.

Jostian wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

AF-S can help you set up a focus trap and avoid hunting in some situation (ie AF-S on the ground/ara where you expect your subject to enter, lock the focus and wait for it). AF-C will cause hunting, and especially with a slower focusing lens may totally miss the shot.

Also AF-S will allow the focus assist illuminator to come on in poor lighting, it may make a big difference over AF-C.

At least that is just about the only time ever I use AF-S.

Thanks for the insight, appreciated, still not sure why I have issues with AF-S as mentioned in my earlier post... frustrating, will try in better light and see if the same happens.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
LouCioccio
LouCioccio Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?
1

Nf,

'Here is a 28/3.5 at F/16 using hyper focal distance',  -- You can shoot like a Kodak™ Instamatic as long as they are farther than 2.5 feet from the camera to infinity.  Its called street photography you can actually shoot from the hip, we did that in 1967.

That image IS NOT a portrait its a snap shot, you know the kind that you just take never intending to enter a contest, probably never print and may use as a personal wallpaper; not worrying about rule of thirds.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

Sorry that I offended you in way, apology accepted.

 LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

LouCioccio wrote:

Nf,

'Here is a 28/3.5 at F/16 using hyper focal distance',  -- You can shoot like a Kodak™ Instamatic as long as they are farther than 2.5 feet from the camera to infinity.  Its called street photography you can actually shoot from the hip, we did that in 1967.

That image IS NOT a portrait its a snap shot, you know the kind that you just take never intending to enter a contest, probably never print and may use as a personal wallpaper; not worrying about rule of thirds.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

Sorry that I offended you in way, apology accepted.

Has nothing to do with composition.  You shouldn't be shooting f/16 for that kind of shot, ever, for several reasons. Read up on "diffraction".  This is not 1967, you're not shooting film, and "shooting from the hip" is just plain dumb.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 10,148
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

AF C 9 Points, AF on menu item a3 to off.  It works on any Nikon, even an ancient D300.

Pradipta Dutta
Pradipta Dutta Veteran Member • Posts: 9,781
Re: Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering why one would use AF-S, when AF-C focuses continually, addressing slight variations in mvt that AF-S doesn't, so why use AF-S, just leave it on AF-C, I now there are other considerations like speed etc that would affect which AF to use, but speaking purely on focus, surely t here's nothing wrong with just leaving AF on AF-C? or am I missing something(s)?

There is nothing wrong in leaving on AF-C permanently as long as you can deal with the slight delay that AF-C has in the initial acquisition of focus.

However, there is another aspect of AF-S that is important to some. In certain situations one may NOT want the camera to continuously track focus. They may just want to acquire focus, possibly recompose and then shoot. That is not possible with AF-C as the focus tracking continuously remains engaged unless you use focusing for AF-ON button only.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

 Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads