MFT sensor vs APS-C

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions
Mo Kwart
Mo Kwart Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
MFT sensor vs APS-C

Has anyone shot a test under controlled conditions facing the EM5's sensor against an SLR sensor, say APS-C (x1.6) from a Canon Rebel.

True, I am viewing on a standard screen and looking at images, many of which have been manipulated, but I am feeling that the MFT shots in general do not have the depth of color and fullness of the larger sensor cameras.

I am on the line. I really would like to go MFT, but do not want to give up quality. I am presently shooting with a 50D as my primary camera.

Thanks,

Mo

Mo Kwart's gear list:Mo Kwart's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: MFT sensor vs APS-C

Mo50 wrote:

Has anyone shot a test under controlled conditions facing the EM5's sensor against an SLR sensor, say APS-C (x1.6) from a Canon Rebel.

True, I am viewing on a standard screen and looking at images, many of which have been manipulated, but I am feeling that the MFT shots in general do not have the depth of color and fullness of the larger sensor cameras.

I am on the line. I really would like to go MFT, but do not want to give up quality. I am presently shooting with a 50D as my primary camera.

Thanks,

Mo

If you get a camera with one of the last Sony sensor, they will be better than the Canon Rebels APSC sensor; just look at the DXO test results here.

You need at least a FF or a Nikon camera like the D7000 to get better results.

-- hide signature --

--

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,329

I think this is subjective, because obectively (if we look at DxO) the Em5 is better in each and every way than any Canon APS-c is currently.

Also, there are quite a few people who have ditched their FF DSLR, like MKII or D700, for the OMD.
And they are happy with their decision.

If you look at pics, the lenses used and it are the faster ones (20, 25, 45 and 75 or the fast panny zooms) and you simply don't like what you see, don't buy a mFT camera. No one can tell you what you should like.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160

rrr_hhh wrote:

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks,

Mo

If you get a camera with one of the last Sony sensor, they will be better than the Canon Rebels APSC sensor; just look at the DXO test results here.

according to DXO my D5100 has a better sensor than the EM5

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +4 more
JCB123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks,

Mo

E-PL5 (same sensor as E-M5) vs Nikon D7000 - both 16 MP

@ ISO 200 any difference in image quality is insignificant in prints or normal viewing. (That's shooting raw - not taking into account any vagaries of the jpeg engines)

@ ISO 1600 the D7000 is better in large prints but for an 8x10 print or an HD screen the difference is not visible. (normal viewing)

Image quality (colour depth, dynamic range, snr etc)  is not the main differentiator though. The D7000 AF is far far better at tracking moving subjects. It also can sit on a tripod for days waiting for a remote trigger with virtually no battery drain. No m43 camera can do this (except possibly the GH3 perhaps) DSLRs still have advantages in overall capability.

The reason for owning the E-PL5 is to make use of the small and lightweight lenses. Micro 4/3 lenses are wonderful. The cameras are OK, but I still have a DSLR to do what they cannot do or don't do very well.

Think lenses and just get the body that makes the best sense to use them on.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

illy wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks,

Mo

according to DXO my D5100 has a better sensor than the EM5

I wasn't trying to list any Nikon cameras for the good reason that I'm not a Nikon user and don't know them. I thought that the D7000 was an APSC too ? The main point is that a new Sony MFT sensor would yield better results than the Canon Rebels (aka the xxxD, I picked the 650D because there are not yet test results for the 700D, but I believe that the 700D didn't get a new sensor.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R II +5 more
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,541
I made such a switch and have not observed this.

I moved from the Canon 450D (after previously owning the original Rebel/300D) to the E-M5. As a camera the E-M5 is really better than the 450D was, especially in terms of detailed low noise higher iso images. The bigger challenge is to find an "equivalent" for my old 17-55IS f/2.8 lens in the m43 format. I'm hoping for Olympus to come out with something because the Panasonic 12-35 seems to have too much PF for my liking. (Others think it is fine though.)

To get "the same" output may require using RAW. Every manufacturer has its own idea of what the proper look of (jpg) images is. It's not a matter of one being better than the other. They are just different.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
Gravi
Gravi Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
I have both

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks,

Mo

Hi,

I shoot both the E-M5 and the 7D. The only reason the 7D is not yet on ebay is the fact that I like tele photography, and MFT is no match for Canon in both cameras and lenses in that area. Over the years I upgraded my MFT system (started with a GF1) and sold a lot of my Canon glass.

Other than that, Canon is great, but I get the same quality shots with my E-M5. There are advantages and disadvantages for both, beyond the size difference, but in the end both can deliver fantastic shots of similar subjects (except tele).

See this thread for some of my recent shots with the E-M5:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51347745

For me it is MFT for everything except wildlife. Fullframe cameras are a different story, but APS-C and MFT are not that far apart.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,378

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks,

Mo

Mo, I'm pleasantly surprised that your gallery is not empty, so I'm talking to real person.

Based on what I could see, my advice to you: go EM5. The reason is simple - you will go for new camera anyway. It can be NEX, or some new Fuji, or M43, but you will definitely buy another camera   M43 is the best choice for me, that is why I recommend to everyone to buy M43.

Based on what I saw, you will get same or better quality shots with M43 system because you're natural EVF/LCD shooter

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +3 more
elmanhansen Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: I have both

I use Canon and Pana cameras. The Pana GH3 (and also GH2 at low ISO) and the Canon 7D are not far from each other when it comes to picture quality (RAW files). My 5D III is a different animal. I use the Pana cameras when I do not want to carry a lot af lenses. Or for street photography. But for sport, wildlife and landscapes I definitely prefer the Canon equipment - if weight is not an issue. . .

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,599

Interesting question.

I just got back from Singapore, where I took along my NEX-6 with 16-50mm kit zoom.  It was rather hazy but I still got a lot of pics.  I had a bunch of the Marina Bay Sands, and wanted to go back and look at photos from a previous Singapore trip, which was prior to the completion of the Sands hotel

So I am perusing my older photos from 2010 and I am impressed by the overall sharpness and color of the images, especially around Clarke Quay and along the river.  They 'looked' better than what I had just taken with my NEX-6.

The 2010 photos were taken with a GF1 and 20mm.  I was surprised as they handily beat the NEX.  But the Panasonic 20mm is a better lens than the Sony kit lens, so I am going to attribute the difference to the lenses used.

Long story short, micro43 can easily hold it's own against an APS camera.

Now to rethink my NEX lens choice  

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +50 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,306

I can't compare on screen but have many comparisons on print, which is where my interest is as I sell my images as prints via craft fairs and galleries.

In a recent exhibition with 30+ images on display and a similar number in the browser (covering canon 5Dmk2, 7D and 550D as well as the EM-5, about 50% EM-5) none of my many visitors could tell which print came from what system

When printing I was able to do some direct comparisons of the same scene shot with the different systems over the years and, if anything, I preferred to colours from the processed EM-5 RAW files as they appear to be more realistic and open yet still vibrant

So, there may be differences when you examine them on screen, but for me, the EM-5 compares remarkably well with canon colours

A couple of shots from the exhibition:

the pano is 6ft wide to give a scale and the larger forest scene is 30"x20"

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads