X20 - Down by the river

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Gaze Contributing Member • Posts: 721
X20 - Down by the river

Yesterday morning I went down by the Ohio river in Louisville, KY to photograph the Big Four Railroad Bridge. Trains used it for many years until 1969 and ever since then it remained idle that is until this past February when it was transformed into a pedestrian walkway connecting Louisville KY and Jeffersonville, IN. The bridge including the ramps are suppose to be a mile long. Also, they, on the Indiana side, are suppose to complete their ramp in another month or two as you'll notice in one of the photos.

The weatherman predicted sunny skies for yesterday morning but it didn't turn out that way. We had those overcast and ugly white skies and I knew I was heading for trouble photographing a structure that is dark against a white sky. Oh well, you just gotta deal with it! By the time I got up on the bridge the winds were blowing very fast and hard and my histogram and the green level guide on the X20's display were going nuts! It was very difficult to hold the camera steady. It was simply a "bad hair day"…lol. I did the best I could with some major adjustments in iPhoto especially for exposure. Almost all of my photos were underexposed.

All photos are JPEGs using a CPL filter. Also, I used DR200.

A view of downtown Louisville, KY from the ramp.

The soon to be ramp presently under construction on the Indiana side of the river

Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 12,950
Re: X20 - Down by the river

beautifully done Bravo rick
--
http://www.photographybyrichardmsmith.com/

coaltrain Regular Member • Posts: 265

You did a great job for the conditions - to my eye your exposure is very good in all the photos.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
OP Gaze Contributing Member • Posts: 721

Bejersey wrote:

beautifully done Bravo rick
--
http://www.photographybyrichardmsmith.com/

Thanks Bejersey

coaltrain wrote:

You did a great job for the conditions - to my eye your exposure is very good in all the photos.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

Thanks Coaltrain,  When I got back home and uploaded my photos I thought it was hopeless …. way underexposed but after increasing the exposure in iPhoto PP I thought differently.  iPhoto saved the day … lol.

Grobb
Grobb Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

Very nice snap shots and good composition! Just try to take all images at ISO 200 in good outdoor sun light and downsize them to 1MP (or less) and they will look very nice for web size viewing. Glad you are enjoying your X20.

tron555 wrote:

Very nice snap shots and good composition! Just try to take all images at ISO 200 in good outdoor sun light and downsize them to 1MP (or less) and they will look very nice for web size viewing. Glad you are enjoying your X20.

Thanks Tron.  Where is Plantation, FL?  One of the things I don't understand about Florida is all the alligators crawling around and going into people's yards.  Doesn't Florida have too many alligators?  I know it's against the law to shoot 'em but why don't they have open season on alligators for maybe a week or two to kinda thin 'em out??

Grobb

Gaze… people ARE able to thin them out, and many do.

( http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/harvest/ ) Quote: “Floridians and non-residents who are at least 18 years old to take up to 2 alligators per permit.”

I see them all the time when kayaking and camping in Everglades National Park, I even took a few snap of them from my kayak. You never know when or where they will pop up. They seem to be more curious than dangerous, but I still keep my distance. By the way, their tails are delicious

I just came out of a canal just behind me.

Early morning fishing for Snook and Redfish, trout, snapper, etc...

They come up, look at you and swim away, called Florida lizards.

Taken from my kayak.

They like to sun themselves.

I called him snaggle tooth, seemed like he wanted us to be fed.

Thanks Tron not only for the nice photos but to clarify my misunderstandings!!

If I was in that little kayak and I saw an alligator that close (last photo) I'd be scared sh!tless and pooping in my pants!!!!! You're one BRAVE dude!! Regarding the last photo, how far away was that alligator from you?

Grobb

I was on a Cheeky, a wooden platform with a roof that is made to camp out on. He (Snaggle tooth) came by a few time expecting to be fed, which we did not do, it not good to feed them.

This is a Cheeky, a place to set up camp for a day or two.

There are also many other photo ops to take pictures of, especially birds.

These are Ospreys, they are all over the place.

Camping and taking pictures in Everglade National Park is a magical place.

Out of a canopy canal into another bay.

Camping, fishing and kayaking in Flamingo my one of my favorite things to do.

The Everglades is a great place to visit!

Take care!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads