Giants Causeway / Northern Ireland (lots of pics)

Started Apr 24, 2013 | Discussions
Gravi
Gravi Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Giants Causeway / Northern Ireland (lots of pics)

Last weekend I went to northern Ireland to spend some time with my camera   My main goal was to get some nice shots of the Giants Causeway, a rock formation at seaside consisting of remarkably regular basalt pillars. As a geologist, hydrologist and photographer, this place was high on my list.

Images from this site and the surrounding areas shown below! All images taken with the E-M5 and a selection of lenses.

my personal favourite

second best

Fisheye landscape

Tele landscape

At work

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

PhotoPMW Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Giants Causeway / Northern Ireland (lots of pics)

Great photos of N. Ireland!  I was there several years ago, but my photos of Giants Causeway were not nearly as good as yours.  As I recall, we visited the GC, then the Bushmills distillery.  I don't remember much after that.

PhotoPMW's gear list:PhotoPMW's gear list
Canon EOS 10D
vin 13
vin 13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

lovely shots at one of the nicest photo locations on the island.

vin 13's gear list:vin 13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +12 more
Gompie
Gompie Contributing Member • Posts: 731

Very nice. Some have a surreal look which I like.

What lenses are we talking about? I see somewhere 7.5 mm in an exif file.

Ruud

Gompie's gear list:Gompie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Gravi
OP Gravi Senior Member • Posts: 1,546

PhotoPMW wrote:

then the Bushmills distillery.  I don't remember much after that.

Only the headache later on

thanks

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

thxbb12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,205

Hi Gravi,

These are absolutely stunning shots! Thanks for sharing

I really like your long exposure ones (1 in particular). What setup did you use? (how many stop filter and which kind?)

Cheers.

thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Gravi

Thanks. The surreal effect was created by using very long shutter speeds on moving water, combined with nice evening light.

I mostly used the Olympus 9-18mm. One is with the samyang fisheye (7.5mm), one with the pana 100-300 and one with the pana 25mm f1.4.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi

thxbb12 wrote:

Hi Gravi,

These are absolutely stunning shots! Thanks for sharing

I really like your long exposure ones (1 in particular). What setup did you use? (how many stop filter and which kind?)

Cheers.

Thanks. I used the 9-18mm with an 8 stops ND filter (screw on) and a graduated ND filter (Cokin A in holder, I think 2 stops, not sure). I was quite happy the setup did not vignette on the lens. Mounted it all on a sturdy tripod (which was heavier than my complete m43rds kit - have to find me something lighter).

Getting the exposure right was a bit of trial and error because the light meter got quite confused by the filters I guess.

Focussing and composing were done before the filters were mounted to make sure I had enough light to get it right. After prefocussing I put the camera in manual focus, so I could take several shots before needing to unscrew the filter again.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Loryh Senior Member • Posts: 2,143
breathtaking!

My first thought was; I have to get to Ireland and follow you around to learn from you...and then I remembered, oh, yeah, I'm in California 

So, thank you for the details on how you did the shots. Could you post close up shots of your set-up with the filters on the 9-18?

So, I bow at your feet  So etherial and magical which fits that part of the world....

Warmest Regards,

Lory

Kleeks13
Kleeks13 Regular Member • Posts: 336
gorgeous

Oh to be in ireland....or anywhere near an ocean!!!

-- hide signature --

Kleeks
"a weed is just a plant in the wrong place."

Kleeks13's gear list:Kleeks13's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Gravi
Re: breathtaking!

My first thought was; I have to get to Ireland and follow you around to learn from you...and then I remembered, oh, yeah, I'm in California 

So, thank you for the details on how you did the shots. Could you post close up shots of your set-up with the filters on the 9-18?

So, I bow at your feet  So etherial and magical which fits that part of the world....

Warmest Regards,

Lory

Thanks for the kind words.

I Will try to post An image of my setup!
--
Regards,
Gravi

shinndigg Veteran Member • Posts: 4,637

Great stuff

-- hide signature --

shinndigg
www.pbase.com/shinndigg

shinndigg's gear list:shinndigg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +9 more
mazzuccato
mazzuccato Senior Member • Posts: 2,726

Wonderful shots!

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 43,475

A very nice set which includes some beautiful scenes.

Andrew

Julian_K Senior Member • Posts: 1,181

Stunning! Some of the best photos I have seen on here for a long time! Thanks for sharing and make sure to post more of your stuff in the future.

Jules

-- hide signature --

www.jkaesler.zenfolio.com

Gravi
Thanks all

For the nice comments! Appreciated!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Bill Wallace Veteran Member • Posts: 7,020

Great shots Gravi, very well done....Thanks for the link from the nd filter thread.

Bill

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +8 more
FoolyCooly Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

Wow, outstanding photos.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

guerner
guerner Regular Member • Posts: 159

wonderfull shots

guerner's gear list:guerner's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498

Gravi wrote:

Thanks. The surreal effect was created by using very long shutter speeds on moving water, combined with nice evening light.

I mostly used the Olympus 9-18mm. One is with the samyang fisheye (7.5mm), one with the pana 100-300 and one with the pana 25mm f1.4.

Going to Ireland in June for two weeks. Now I know which lenses to take. Beautiful shots.

What tripod did you take? I have two, but both are heavier than I think I want to haul on an international flight.

Finally, our trip won't included the Antrim coast, which I regret. Maybe next time, though.

JC

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads