3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR
2

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Damme

Damme

Damme

Damme

I thank you for any contribution.

If I can do something to improve my pictures please let me know.

thank you so mush.

you can view more pictures here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marnix_claus/

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
nfpotter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

None of them are bad, but most or none have a real point of interest, or something that draws you in.  As well, several have a lot of sky, which is a bit boring.

Study composition.  Hint: a really good landscape typically has elements of interest in 3 areas - the foreground, mid-ground, and background.  Not always easy to do.

Keep shooting!

OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

nfpotter wrote:

None of them are bad, but most or none have a real point of interest, or something that draws you in.  As well, several have a lot of sky, which is a bit boring.

Study composition.  Hint: a really good landscape typically has elements of interest in 3 areas - the foreground, mid-ground, and background.  Not always easy to do.

Keep shooting!

Thank you for your comment.

a look out for next time

Thank you

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,734
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR
1

demarren 123 wrote:

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Claus M
______

I'll try a slightly different tack for advice. The photos are fine but not WOW.

My advice would be choose the best thing in the photo and then fill the photo with it. For example in this shot the reflection is really great. With the trees above it creates great converging lines

So  that's all your photo needs. A vertical composition might have got all of the nearest tree but lost the house and platform. Or stand the other side of the house. Shoot lots of shots to stitch if you need to go wider angle

If this was near me I'd be planning a trip back on the next windless  day to see what I could come up with

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

john Clinch wrote:

demarren 123 wrote:

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Claus M
______

I'll try a slightly different tack for advice. The photos are fine but not WOW.

My advice would be choose the best thing in the photo and then fill the photo with it. For example in this shot the reflection is really great. With the trees above it creates great converging lines

So  that's all your photo needs. A vertical composition might have got all of the nearest tree but lost the house and platform. Or stand the other side of the house. Shoot lots of shots to stitch if you need to go wider angle

I agree.  Get some height and width going and you'll have a nice vista.  Flat can be interesting, especially if there's a lot of it.

 Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Stephan Def Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

OK I am going to have a go at this, the River with the reflections I like, I think they are both really good. Of course you can always get it better

The question you always have to ask yourself is this: "could anybody with a decent smartphone camera have gotten that same snapshot?" Its a good idea if your capture tells somekind of short story or "says" something. Annie Leibovitz's photography turned a serious corner after she started doing this in her work see for example her Whoopi Goldberg portrait or her portrait of Bette midler, these have a short message they say something kind of clever.

Landscapes are usually best at dusk or dawn because of the light.

Watch these Guys here on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kPMf_4JNo0

they give excellent advice about many basics much more than I could ever write here. (note: the one above actually starts at 16:19 )

Cheers

Stephan

 Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

john Clinch wrote:

demarren 123 wrote:

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Claus M
______

I'll try a slightly different tack for advice. The photos are fine but not WOW.

My advice would be choose the best thing in the photo and then fill the photo with it. For example in this shot the reflection is really great. With the trees above it creates great converging lines

So  that's all your photo needs. A vertical composition might have got all of the nearest tree but lost the house and platform. Or stand the other side of the house. Shoot lots of shots to stitch if you need to go wider angle

If this was near me I'd be planning a trip back on the next windless  day to see what I could come up with

Thank you I will  do that

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Stephan Def wrote:

OK I am going to have a go at this, the River with the reflections I like, I think they are both really good. Of course you can always get it better

The question you always have to ask yourself is this: "could anybody with a decent smartphone camera have gotten that same snapshot?" Its a good idea if your capture tells somekind of short story or "says" something. Annie Leibovitz's photography turned a serious corner after she started doing this in her work see for example her Whoopi Goldberg portrait or her portrait of Bette midler, these have a short message they say something kind of clever.

Landscapes are usually best at dusk or dawn because of the light.

Watch these Guys here on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kPMf_4JNo0

they give excellent advice about many basics much more than I could ever write here. (note: the one above actually starts at 16:19 )

Cheers

Stephan

Thank you Stephan for the comment and the link.

I agree it can always be better

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,211
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

demarren 123 wrote:

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Damme

Damme

Damme

Damme

I thank you for any contribution.

If I can do something to improve my pictures please let me know.

thank you so mush.

you can view more pictures here.

Be aware of your perspective.  On many of these shots, including the sheep shot, you are shooting outward and up.  Maybe not a problem if you are shooting some flowers from really low on a clear blue day, but here, you are getting a lot of bland surfaces with some glare.   Because of the bright, partly cloudy sky, this is resulting in a lot of bright backgrounds and some bleached out colors.  I tend to shoot when I can, so I am not so much troubled by the conditions--although nicer light is preferred.  But, under tough skies such as this, I would probably exclude the sky from a lot of my shots and try to fill my frame with my subjects shooting down if possible.  I think of photography as an aggressive pastime.  You select from the vast environment a small portion to remove and distill.

I probably would have concentrated on the windmill.  That shot has the nicest colors.  I would have just explored it from different angles, filling the frame even more with closeup details and shooting further away creating environmental portraits of it.  The one obstacle you have here is that the windmill is higher than the land surrounding it.  That is a challenge because you wind up pointing up as you did here.  I might do that thinking I will leave enough space to correct the distortion later.  I might go with a wider angle lens so I can shoot level and crop later.  Or, I might step way back with a telephoto so the rise seems less significant.  There are always choices to use when you approach a landscape.  Returning with an idea of what you want to accomplish is hopefully possible--always with an eye to the available light.

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

 Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,734
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Stephan Def wrote:

The question you always have to ask yourself is this: "could anybody with a decent smartphone camera have gotten that same snapshot?"

That's a great question but what should the answer be?

OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

john Clinch wrote:

Stephan Def wrote:

The question you always have to ask yourself is this: "could anybody with a decent smartphone camera have gotten that same snapshot?"

That's a great question but what should the answer be?

The Answer is No.

you can,t mount an 16-85 on a smartphone.

Joke

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
Stephan Def Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Well hopefully the answer will be no, I say that because we are beginning to see some pretty good smartphone cameras.

However if you use a tripod and neutral density filters to do long exposure times then likely no smartphone is going to reach there for a while yet. Furthermore the performance of the optics is another world in DSLR's. Still I can imagine that there are snapshots that look very simular to a smartphone that can be done with a DSLR so I would try not to go there.

 Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Brev00 wrote:

demarren 123 wrote:

Please comment on the pictures,so I can learn.

Damme

Damme

Damme

Damme

I thank you for any contribution.

If I can do something to improve my pictures please let me know.

thank you so mush.

you can view more pictures here.

Be aware of your perspective.  On many of these shots, including the sheep shot, you are shooting outward and up.  Maybe not a problem if you are shooting some flowers from really low on a clear blue day, but here, you are getting a lot of bland surfaces with some glare.   Because of the bright, partly cloudy sky, this is resulting in a lot of bright backgrounds and some bleached out colors.  I tend to shoot when I can, so I am not so much troubled by the conditions--although nicer light is preferred.  But, under tough skies such as this, I would probably exclude the sky from a lot of my shots and try to fill my frame with my subjects shooting down if possible.  I think of photography as an aggressive pastime.  You select from the vast environment a small portion to remove and distill.

Good advice Thank you

I probably would have concentrated on the windmill.  That shot has the nicest colors.  I would have just explored it from different angles, filling the frame even more with closeup details and shooting further away creating environmental portraits of it.  The one obstacle you have here is that the windmill is higher than the land surrounding it.  That is a challenge because you wind up pointing up as you did here.  I might do that thinking I will leave enough space to correct the distortion later.  I might go with a wider angle lens so I can shoot level and crop later.  Or, I might step way back with a telephoto so the rise seems less significant.  There are always choices to use when you approach a landscape.  Returning with an idea of what you want to accomplish is hopefully possible--always with an eye to the available light.

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Thank you so mush.

The problem with the windmill is A road is behind  me and water in front of me.

I only have a small pad to take an picture.

on the other side you have the water in the back a small road in the front.

the windmill is on a platform to ,it is high from the ground.

One possibility would be taking an picture farther on the road,that give me more room.

Something for my next try:p

Thank you so mush

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,528
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

I like em especially the canal shots ...

my 2 cents: I think you are trying to include too much generally - also, all your shots here are 2/3s "sky" where the actual interest is more "land". A near reverse of that ratio might be stronger.  With a little cropping you could direct interest in both of those to the great receding lines. As is, both have left of screen distractions ...

pixd90 Senior Member • Posts: 1,464
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Thanks for sharing. Saw your set on flickr, you certainly live in a very photogenic town. looks like paradise for HDR pictures. Of course there could be an improvement in your composition. Shoot early in morning, evening, different perspectives, different lghting conditions. I enjoy looking at 500px http://500px.com/popular?only=Landscapes   although some are over the top it does give you a general idea of what effects you may want to get.

Looking foward to seeing more pictures of your beautiful village.

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

Fred Mueller wrote:

I like em especially the canal shots ...

my 2 cents: I think you are trying to include too much generally - also, all your shots here are 2/3s "sky" where the actual interest is more "land". A near reverse of that ratio might be stronger.  With a little cropping you could direct interest in both of those to the great receding lines. As is, both have left of screen distractions ...

good point ,I also was thinking the same.

But like to hold on the thumb of rule.

a bit of bought would be better I think

Thank you good advice thank you

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
OP demarren 123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,616
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

pixd90 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Saw your set on flickr, you certainly live in a very photogenic town. looks like paradise for HDR pictures. Of course there could be an improvement in your composition. Shoot early in morning, evening, different perspectives, different lghting conditions. I enjoy looking at 500px http://500px.com/popular?only=Landscapes   although some are over the top it does give you a general idea of what effects you may want to get.

Looking foward to seeing more pictures of your beautiful village

More is coming I promise

Yes it is an beautiful  place

Thank you so mush

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Olympus E-10 Panasonic LX100 +10 more
Shunda77
Shunda77 Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

nfpotter wrote:

None of them are bad, but most or none have a real point of interest, or something that draws you in.  As well, several have a lot of sky, which is a bit boring.

I think that is completely unfair, at least 3 of those images have excellent composition.

Study composition.  Hint: a really good landscape typically has elements of interest in 3 areas - the foreground, mid-ground, and background.  Not always easy to do.

Yet the OP did it in at least 3 of those shots.

Rennie Treko Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR

I don't post pictures here and I consider my own shooting skills mediocre to average at most, but I can tell that I actually was drawn in the pictures and did find points of interest in all of them. I don't know what the processing was, but both the composition and processing puts "me"-the observer "there"-the scene.

With that being said I would just like the house next to the river to have the whole roof and the right side in the frame and the lamb to be wholly in the frame too.

VidJa Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: 3 Try Landscape 16-85 VR
1

Yummy,

Pictures from The Netherlands. I won't comment on the pictures itself since I think all has been said. (I like the canal shots and indeed, concentrate on the reflections.)

To be honest, I'm a bit jealous because the 16-85 with the D3200 is a really capable and affordable combo. I still have to do with my 7 year old D50.(I'll post some from the sunrise this weekend)

With regards to landscape photography, The Netherlands offers some great views (albeit no mountains glowing in sunrise) and fantastic ways for minimalistic images.

I you really want to dive into landscape stuff go have a look at the tutorials and images

luminous landscape  tutorials & wealthy men's opinions

Ian Cameron an 'old school' landscape photographer

Joe Cornish an 'even older school' landscape photographer

Adam Burton another landscape photographer

Hay Heuts Dutch stuff

btw, there are some really nice pictures in your flickr stream and do yourself a favour: shoot raw, download a trial of Adobe Lightroom, learn how to use it and get rid of those eye blinding colors Nikon thinks we like.

-
'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.', Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.vidja.nl

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads