The best camera company

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: The best camera company

Biggs23 wrote:

This could turn into a flame war. Assuming it doesn't, I'll play. To me image quality trumps all other considerations and I base my judgment on that.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/canon-holds-no-1-share-130000234.html

Canon Holds No. 1 Share of Global Interchangeable-Lens Digital Camera Market for 10 Consecutive Years

Nikon - Seems like the clear winner. Low ISO King - D800. High ISO King - D4

1DX is the world fastest and best AF DSLR camera. 5D3 is the world best all-round small-body DSLR camera. It's actual 6D holds highest ISO crown and the most sensitive center AF point.

Canon - A close second.

Nikon in this postion #2 overally.

Sony

Agreed

Pentax

I will put Olympus here

Olympus

Pentax here

The rest.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

-- hide signature --
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,526

I can't imagine having a large bunch of fan-boys and girls fighting over this will settle anything much... Still as you asked I'm going with Canon. They sell more serious cameras than anyone else, they actually make money selling them, unlike almost everybody else and they have the best lens range. They also have a professional support network that's so far ahead of anyone else it's a bit comical for the rest... Imho of course, well except for the facts and figures bit...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +28 more
peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247

Airless wrote:

Time to settle this debate once and for all, at least until this year's new cameras are all announced. I'm dead set on finding out which camera brand is truly the best.

Zenit. Never produced a single bad or even so-so digital camera.

PS. Nice bait.

Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,526
Re: the one that makes the most money?

I'm with you on this, but I think you misunderstand the point of the thread if you think it's to get to an objective answer... Still we can perhaps do what football club is the best next (I think my club is a pretty safe bet for that one... err...), then which games console...

All good fun...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +28 more
Re: The one with the most profit

Thorgrem wrote:

In a point of view the best camera company is the one who can make the most profit. I don't know al the financial things about al the company's but I believe Canon makes the most profit (and has the biggest market share).

So my answer to the question would be; Canon

Unfortunately that's not the company I like the most and not the company that makes the products that interest me. The company of my personal choice (Olympus) is in this point of view not so good.

On the serious note, the biggest profits mean the biggest margins, and the biggest margins mean they sell you the lowest value at the highest price.

tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,614
exactly

I'm just having some fun with words in a dull moment. I don't believe my own answer, but its no sillier than any other

Dr_Jon wrote:

I'm with you on this, but I think you misunderstand the point of the thread if you think it's to get to an objective answer... Still we can perhaps do what football club is the best next (I think my club is a pretty safe bet for that one... err...), then which games console...

All good fun...

timo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,285

Most boring: Canon (these days)

Most interesting: Fuji

Most pleasant to use within their product range (which has its limitations, particularly in the available range of lenses): Pentax

Most perplexing: Sony (when you think how much money they must have spent on marketing over the years to relatively little effect)

Most weird: Sigma, closely followed by Ricoh (both of which might be runners-up under 'most intereesting')

Most uneven: Nikon (bearing in mind the relative weakness of the bottom end of their range)

Nearest miss: Olympus (impressed by OM-D but still wish there was a practical alternative to the EVF)

The best? Dunno. Apple maybe.

-- hide signature --

tim

timo's gear list:timo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
While I have a personal preference

for Olympus cameras, I wouldn't necessarily vote them the bet camera company.

They've don a few things to rub users the wrong way, missed opportunities, and generally dropped the ball on marketing (at least here in the States)

Nikon has some impressive cameras, if you like full sized DSLRs and lenses, They get better results out of a Sony sensor than Sony.  But like Canon, they've been slow to innovate.

Sony innovates, but maybe doesn't have a clear vision of where they are going.

Pentax- willing to try the absurd, but does that help them as a company?  Would they do better a basic, no nonsense DSLR or mirrorless body?

Leica- best strategy for a company that wants to stay small?

Panasonic- Nice complement to Oly in the m43 system... I don't thing either brand would be as strong if they didn't share the mount.  But some still blame them for sticking Olympus w a sensor past it's obsolesces date?  I wouldn't count them as strong enough to rank first.

In the end, each company has something to offer, has some faults keeping it from being 'best'.  Rather than picking which is best overall, enjoy the selection, find the system that is best for -you-.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Jay Paul H Regular Member • Posts: 362

I disagree. Economies of scale. Let's say two companies make part for part identical cameras. One company sells 5,000 per year, the other sells 5 million a year. Which one do you think will make the most profit?

Jay Paul H's gear list:Jay Paul H's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +44 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,939

Biggs23 wrote:

This could turn into a flame war. Assuming it doesn't, I'll play. To me image quality trumps all other considerations and I base my judgment on that.

Nikon - Seems like the clear winner. Low ISO King - D800. High ISO King - D4

Canon - A close second.

Sony

Pentax

Olympus

The rest.

just look at the DxO top ten. 

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more

Jay Paul H wrote:

I disagree. Economies of scale. Let's say two companies make part for part identical cameras. One company sells 5,000 per year, the other sells 5 million a year. Which one do you think will make the most profit?

Unless we are talking Leica or Hasselblad, all of them are mass-market products. Bigger photo companies just make more models and spend more on advertisement. Ads don't ad any actual value to your purchase, but add to the price.

cgarrard
cgarrard Forum Pro • Posts: 15,529
What if you are brand agnostic?

Dennis wrote:

Airless wrote:

Time to settle this debate once and for all ... and no trolling please; nobody likes to see decent threads get sabotaged. No reason why a solid discussion can't take place without a flame war.

All very funny.

- Dennis

The best would have to be the camera company that makes the most customers happier than the rest.

Good luck figuring that equation out.

http://www.photographic-central.blogspot.com
Also formerly AlphaMountWorld.com (now off the web)

cgarrard's gear list:cgarrard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Jagseer Singh
Jagseer Singh New Member • Posts: 3

The best camra compny CONAN

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,562
Re: What if you are brand agnostic?

cgarrard wrote:

The best would have to be the camera company that makes the most customers happier than the rest.

Total number ?  Or percentage ?  And then what about the degree to which it makes the remainder unhappy ?  (Thom Hogan recently reported on a poll in which the D800 ranked as Nikons best ever DSLR by many but also its worst by a few, illustrating his point that poor service causes big perception problems).

I suppose the US definition would be the company that returns the most value to its shareholders.

Whatever the answer, it doesn't much matter to me whether I'm shooting their products.  I only want the gear thats best for me at a given point in time.  I suppose that as a photographer I could come up with an answer based on my own opinions ... but it's not worth thinking about.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
jvkelley Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Final Tally

Here is roughly the order of final tally based on peoples responses.  It was hard to count, because not many people really answered the question directly, and there were several sarcastic answers.  For people who named multiple companies, I divided up their vote by the number of companies they mentioned.  Your count may vary, but Canon, Nikon, and Sony were clearly all in the top 3.

Canon
Nikon
Sony
Sigma
Fuji
Pentax
Olympus
Leica
Samsung
Holga
Zenit
Panasonic
Apple
Mamiya
Hasselblad
Phase One
Pentax
Zeiss
Ricoh
Rolli
Toyo
Horseman
Arca Swiss
Epson
HP
Holga
Diana
Lomo
Voightlander

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341
Re: Final Tally

Which means absolutely nothing at all.....

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
jvkelley Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: Final Tally

JamesRL wrote:

Which means absolutely nothing at all.....

Yeah, I mostly was just curious.  In another thread, the OP mentioned that this thread showed a consensus of Sony and Olympus as favorites.  I decided to check his conclusion.

I did think the tally was interesting though, obviously it roughly correlates to market share.

-- hide signature --

J.V.

jvkelley's gear list:jvkelley's gear list
Canon PowerShot S50 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads