Golden Gate Bridge at Night - 6D - Critique Welcome

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
kb1dqh Junior Member • Posts: 47
Golden Gate Bridge at Night - 6D - Critique Welcome

This was shot last weekend in SF. One of my first times taking night photos and really, photos of architecture. Most of my shots are nature/landscape.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ultradan Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Re: Golden Gate Bridge at Night - 6D - Critique Welcome

Very nice!

salamander1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,418

kb1dqh wrote:

This was shot last weekend in SF. One of my first times taking night photos and really, photos of architecture. Most of my shots are nature/landscape.

the idea is basically good, but would repeat this shot again sometime it if i were you. you're out of focus. use live view to zoom in on the bridge, or try to focus by using some manual techniques. stopping down the lens a bit further won't hurt either. but the idea, like i said,  is good.

going to s.f.  myself for 10 days in june.  will try to get most of these classic golden gate shots for sure. hehe!

OP kb1dqh Junior Member • Posts: 47

Thanks. Yeah, I will use live view next time. I did focus on the bridge and then put in manual mode, but I may have bumped the ring. I also have trouble when I set the tripod in a spot where water hits it durring the shot. Creates some movement. Maybe I should shoot a quick shot for the bridge at a higher ISO and a long shot for the water, then blend?

salamander1 wrote:

kb1dqh wrote:

the idea is basically good, but would repeat this shot again sometime it if i were you. you're out of focus. use live view to zoom in on the bridge, or try to focus by using some manual techniques. stopping down the lens a bit further won't hurt either. but the idea, like i said,  is good.

going to s.f.  myself for 10 days in june.  will try to get most of these classic golden gate shots for sure. hehe!

rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022

kb1dqh wrote:

I like the colors and the hazy look a lot and the exposure is perfect as well as the choice of a long exposure for the waters. But your main subject, the bridge is a little too small and too far away in the upper right corner. This leaves a lot of empty space at the left and at the bottom. Your picture may benefit from some cropping, or of the use of a longer lens.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +5 more
jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
Pretty good photo I'd say

I used to live in the Marina and have photographed the bridge a zillion times at least. That's a very nice photo. Now you need to go down to the beach on the other side of the gate...I can't recall the name, but there's a fort there. A gated road leads down to the fort. Deadly snaykes! I'd always see rattlesnakes down there.

Here's one that's totally different!

http://www.pbase.com/zidar/image/9135874

jedinstvo
jedinstvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,914
Check out a vertical crop

Your horizontal shot is great. I hope you shot a variety of different compositions. This is a vertical made from a section of your image. Also nice. By the way, the image is not out of focus. If it were you wouldn't be able to see the bridge's vertical cables.

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,777

Second that.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +11 more
gfspencer Contributing Member • Posts: 517

I like all the open water with the bridge up in the corner.  It's different.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Pic Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,310

kb1dqh wrote:

Compositionally I think it's excellent, I disagree with with those who say you should crop or make the bridge bigger in the shot. I think your eye naturally follows the coastline/waveline to the bridge.

Like others have said the bridge is out of focus so I'd go back to retake, fortunately for you I don't think it's going anywhere so this shouldn't be a problem. There is also too much vignetting for my taste. A little vignetting would maybe suit this type of picture but I can see a circle in the middle of this one which I don't like.

TimR32225 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,405

kb1dqh wrote:

It's a nice shot as is, but you can also make some different compositions from a location like this to give yourself some choices later on.  As some have commented, the bridge itself is blurry, which is especially obvious when viewed at 100%.

I like the smoothness of the water and reflections that is achieved by using a long exposure.  I have gotten smooth results even in choppy water by using low iso and filters to extend the shutter speed to 30 seconds or more.  You are only limited by your own creativity.

When I am shooting in low light at dusk or dawn, I try to take multiple photos and ensure that I got a sharp image of each different composition before leaving.  That can save you lots of grief later on.

If you made other compositions from this same position, please show some of them.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Ear Mountain Contributing Member • Posts: 643

That view of the bridge looks like a good one. You now know a good shooting location. Your photo, though, contains too much empty space. You need a longer lens to capture the bridge and only its nearby surroundings.

OP kb1dqh Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Check out a vertical crop

Thank you all for your thoughts / suggestions! I will retake in the next month hopefully and post here. Much appreciated.

Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
Nice but...

The composition is good, but all the major elements of the photo are out of focus.  I shoot a LOT of night stuff and this is what I would do:

focus on something in the foreground (say the sand 5 ft in front of you), and stop the lens down to say f11.  Use the lowest ISO you can, shoot a long exposure on a tripod.

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH +3 more
billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

It is a different look.  To my taste, though, I'd prefer the bridge to be a little larger and positioned at the 1/3 down, 1/3 in point.  That would also fix the ratio of sky to water.  Just my opinion, of course.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,480

rrr_hhh wrote:

I like the colors and the hazy look a lot and the exposure is perfect as well as the choice of a long exposure for the waters. But your main subject, the bridge is a little too small and too far away in the upper right corner. This leaves a lot of empty space at the left and at the bottom. Your picture may benefit from some cropping, or of the use of a longer lens.

If the goal is just the bridge and some water, I think there are better locations to use than China Beach.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,361

My thoughts: get closer to the bridge.

billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

billythek wrote:

It is a different look.  To my taste, though, I'd prefer the bridge to be a little larger and positioned at the 1/3 down, 1/3 in point.  That would also fix the ratio of sky to water.  Just my opinion, of course.

This is what I mean.  Note that I had your jpeg as a starting point.  You can do better with the RAW file.  I would do something about the vignetting, too, if I were you.

Since you are using the 17-40, you might try using the DLO feature of DPP.  I've heard it does wonders for that lens.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
MrScorpio
MrScorpio Senior Member • Posts: 1,413

Hi

I agree. This crop makes the image stronger. Something did not appeal to me in the original shot, but this crop is very pleasing IMO.

billythek wrote:

billythek wrote:

This is what I mean.  Note that I had your jpeg as a starting point.  You can do better with the RAW file.  I would do something about the vignetting, too, if I were you.

Since you are using the 17-40, you might try using the DLO feature of DPP.  I've heard it does wonders for that lens.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,770

Pic Man wrote:

kb1dqh wrote:

Compositionally I think it's excellent, I disagree with with those who say you should crop or make the bridge bigger in the shot. I think your eye naturally follows the coastline/waveline to the bridge.

Like others have said the bridge is out of focus so I'd go back to retake, fortunately for you I don't think it's going anywhere so this shouldn't be a problem. There is also too much vignetting for my taste. A little vignetting would maybe suit this type of picture but I can see a circle in the middle of this one which I don't like.

Agreed.

And despite few shortcomings as mentioned above, I quite liked the picture, probably because of the light, colors, composition and water.

I see some color noise on the sand (right lower corner), you should be able to remove them easily.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads