Kit Lens for OMD EM-5: 14-42 or 12-50

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions
sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818
But my own lying eyes

Chatokun wrote:

Atlasman wrote:

I own both the (14-42 VII) and if image quality is your aim, the 14-42 wins hands down.

I have yet to take the 12-50 out on a photo excursion. I own it for one simple reason: it's weather sealed and I could use it in light rain.

Actually, according to the tests here, the 12-50mm beats the 14-42 II in MTF. This isn't everything that makes a lens better, but I'd have to see the difference and judge myself, since the MTF is pretty significantly different between the two lenses (at center). They were tested at 30mm, so maybe that's it.

Personally I've only had the 12-50mm. I've used a Pany 14-42, but I wasn't impressed with the quality.

But my own lying eyes tells me that the images from the 14-42 LOOK better.

What to believe, mysterious numbers probably based on taking photos of black and white test charts, or my own lying eyes looking at real-world photos? Hmm....

skeys Veteran Member • Posts: 3,191
Jolly, you are neither this forums policeman, nor rule-maker.

You might notice there is no MOD flag by my name here. In this forum. I am nothing more than a DPR member when posting in this forum. For your enlightenment, though, it is not a moderator's job to educate new members about how to use the DPR forums, other than to advise posting by the Forums Rules, located here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules .

Read those Forums Rules, Jolly, and explain exactly which Forums Rule requires members to perform a search, or peruse pages and pages of posts, prior to starting a thread.

If you, personally, find the threads in this, or other, forums confusing and messy, well, that's your problem with which you will have to deal. No one here can help solve that problem for you. Plus, there was/is no violation of Forums Rules.

If you find the plethora of threads here so egregious, there is a solution for you: The Forum Administrators encourage suggestions be sent to them via a feedback mechanism, located here: http://www.dpreview.com/members/feedback . I also encourage you to use the feedback mechanism. Perhaps, with your suggestions, the DPR Forums might one day become the lean, pristine place you seem to desire.

Back to my original question, which you completely ignored: "… why don't you point out all the threads on page 1 with a title asking which kit lens to choose, the 14-42 or the 12-50." Since you claim to be so helpful, perform your own search(es) to find the search term(s) which will precisely locate those threads with the same title as clee08's title and let us all know what search term(s) gave the proper results.  Also, peruse the pages of "… only a few days old threads …" which answer clee08's question and provide a list of those threads for us.

Oh, yeah, one more question for you, Jolly: How many pages of threads would you require a member to peruse before posting a new thread? 1, 2, 5, 9, 20?

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

Atlasman
Atlasman Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: Kit Lens for OMD EM-5: 14-42 or 12-50

Chatokun wrote:

Atlasman wrote:

I own both the (14-42 VII) and if image quality is your aim, the 14-42 wins hands down.

I have yet to take the 12-50 out on a photo excursion. I own it for one simple reason: it's weather sealed and I could use it in light rain.

Actually, according to the tests here, the 12-50mm beats the 14-42 II in MTF. This isn't everything that makes a lens better, but I'd have to see the difference and judge myself, since the MTF is pretty significantly different between the two lenses (at center). They were tested at 30mm, so maybe that's it.

Personally I've only had the 12-50mm. I've used a Pany 14-42, but I wasn't impressed with the quality.

I can tell you that image sharpness and detail is far better on the 14-42. Go have a look at slrgear.com and their tests confirm my conclusions.

RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
Re: Perhaps YOU, Jolly Oly, could use a minimum of courtesy

Jolly Oly wrote:

skeys wrote:

and try to be helpful, rather than negative, to a new member of the DPR Forums.

Steve

-- hide signature --

My comments and opinions are my own. I am neither a staff member, nor a paid employee, of DPReview.

I am helpful, to all of nice people here who took their time to write all there is about that subject in similar threads which are still on page 1 - do you really expect from all of them them to write the same stuff all over again here or it's easier for one person to scroll the page a bit ?

And nothing negative in my reply;

No, there wasn't, unless one considers rudeness to be negative.

I'm sure the OP had done a little search so in fact my post was much more useful that yours.

The only thing useful about your post was that it elicited admonitions from other forum members, constituting a show of support for the OP.

-- hide signature --

If similar, or even identical topics, were not discussed in forums such as these, they would cease to exist.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. You seem out of sorts today.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
Re: 12-50

sbszine wrote:

As well as the macro mode and weather sealing, it has the excellent Lfn button.

Agreed. It's a versatile and pretty high quality lens for a kit. I can see no reason to choose the 14-42 over the 12-50.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Jolly Oly Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Re: Jolly, you are neither this forums policeman, nor rule-maker.

skeys wrote:

You might notice there is no MOD flag by my name here. In this forum. I am nothing more than a DPR member when posting in this forum. For your enlightenment, though, it is not a moderator's job to educate new members about how to use the DPR forums, other than to advise posting by the Forums Rules, located here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules .

Read those Forums Rules, Jolly, and explain exactly which Forums Rule requires members to perform a search, or peruse pages and pages of posts, prior to starting a thread.

First and most important thing what you evidently missed  - I never said this type of behavior is against forum rules. It isn't, obviously.

However - I don't know, maybe you need a written rule for everything - but I was referring to common sense (The Rule of Common Sense if that makes you feel better ).

If you, personally, find the threads in this, or other, forums confusing and messy, well, that's your problem with which you will have to deal. No one here can help solve that problem for you. Plus, there was/is no violation of Forums Rules.

I just showed my disagreement against the logic that is ok to ask for something without trying to do a search first - and that topic in particular was a subject of many recent threads and the answers could be easily found.

So one more time - it is not in the rules but it would be nice, fair and polite to invest a little effort in something you're interested about. Scrolling a page and joining an ongoing thread would be a minimal effort. Capisce ?

If you find the plethora of threads here so egregious, there is a solution for you: The Forum Administrators encourage suggestions be sent to them via a feedback mechanism, located here: http://www.dpreview.com/members/feedback . I also encourage you to use the feedback mechanism. Perhaps, with your suggestions, the DPR Forums might one day become the lean, pristine place you seem to desire.

Thanks, but this forum mod's are perfectly capable of pointing out DPR tools, if needed (are you sure you aren't a mod here, because you sure are acting like one)

Back to my original question, which you completely ignored: "… why don't you point out all the threads on page 1 with a title asking which kit lens to choose, the 14-42 or the 12-50." Since you claim to be so helpful, perform your own search(es) to find the search term(s) which will precisely locate those threads with the same title as clee08's title and let us all know what search term(s) gave the proper results.  Also, peruse the pages of "… only a few days old threads …" which answer clee08's question and provide a list of those threads for us.

No, I won't support laziness in this case. Maybe I would if I haven't seen so many similar threads less that a week ago. I intentionally harshly suggested the way for the OP how to find the answers, which is a ton more than you, as a moral vertical, did for him.
You can again write a book in reply but I still think the same and I'm done with explaining the obvious.

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Jolly Oly Contributing Member • Posts: 978
Re: Perhaps YOU, Jolly Oly, could use a minimum of courtesy

RealPancho wrote:

Jolly Oly wrote:

skeys wrote:

and try to be helpful, rather than negative, to a new member of the DPR Forums.

Steve

-- hide signature --

I am helpful, to all of nice people here who took their time to write all there is about that subject in similar threads which are still on page 1 - do you really expect from all of them them to write the same stuff all over again here or it's easier for one person to scroll the page a bit ?

And nothing negative in my reply;

No, there wasn't, unless one considers rudeness to be negative.

I'm sure the OP had done a little search so in fact my post was much more useful that yours.

The only thing useful about your post was that it elicited admonitions from other forum members, constituting a show of support for the OP.

Nothing unexpected and a small price to pay for a greater good.

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads