Longer Telephoto Lenses?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
GaryR60 Contributing Member • Posts: 665
Longer Telephoto Lenses?

I have the 55-210mm and it's a great addition to my 5N, but I'm wondering if Sony might have any plans to introduce a mirror telephoto lens in the neighborhood of a 400-600mm focl length. That would be great.  

Gary

bill hansen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,033
Re: Longer Telephoto Lenses?

There's a 70-300 which some folks have used with NEX. I think it's an A mount, so you'd need an adapter. There are several long lenses which could be used with adapters. None of these are E mount. I rather doubt that Sony will produce an E mount long lens any time soon, simply because most people buy into the NEX system as a means to limit the size and bulk of their photo kit.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

OP GaryR60 Contributing Member • Posts: 665

Yep, I have a slew of legacy Minolta lenses I used with my X-700 and which I now use with my NEX, using the Fotodiox MD-NEX adapter. Since you mentioned it, Bill, what's the best A-NEX adapter?

Gary

bill hansen wrote:

There's a 70-300 which some folks have used with NEX. I think it's an A mount, so you'd need an adapter. There are several long lenses which could be used with adapters. None of these are E mount. I rather doubt that Sony will produce an E mount long lens any time soon, simply because most people buy into the NEX system as a means to limit the size and bulk of their photo kit.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

I have not seen any rumors or plans for anything longer than the current 55-210 from Sony.

The 100-300 and 75-300 lenses for m43 cameras seem pretty popular and a third party could probably sell enough NEX lenses with similar focal lengthes to make it worth their while.  We might get lucky and have Sigma or Tamron modify one of their existing SLR telephotos for mirrorless cameras.  But I would not plan on that happening.

The mirror lens reputation for doughnut bokeh, low contrast and being a little soft makes them hard to sell no matter how light or small they are.  Sony used to make a 500mm f8 mirror lens that autofocused.  It might work with the LA-EA2 adapter if you can find a used one.  It would probably not be much larger than one designed specifically for NEX and you would not have to wait.

OP GaryR60 Contributing Member • Posts: 665

True, on all points, re: mirror lenses. I was thinking more of the size/weight factor. As it is, the 55-210 is pretty heavy (though very light compared with the 200mm MD mount Tokina I have from my Minolta X-700) and even the 18-55 kit lens droops and points to the ground when I have the camera on my strap.

Dave Lively wrote:

I have not seen any rumors or plans for anything longer than the current 55-210 from Sony.

The 100-300 and 75-300 lenses for m43 cameras seem pretty popular and a third party could probably sell enough NEX lenses with similar focal lengthes to make it worth their while.  We might get lucky and have Sigma or Tamron modify one of their existing SLR telephotos for mirrorless cameras.  But I would not plan on that happening.

The mirror lens reputation for doughnut bokeh, low contrast and being a little soft makes them hard to sell no matter how light or small they are.  Sony used to make a 500mm f8 mirror lens that autofocused.  It might work with the LA-EA2 adapter if you can find a used one.  It would probably not be much larger than one designed specifically for NEX and you would not have to wait.

leemanho Junior Member • Posts: 37

There are plenty of manual focus mirror lenses out there. I tried and I really don't like it.

I'm also hoping that there will be native e mount 300mm+ primes. But I think there won't be any in the near or far future.

leemanho's gear list:leemanho's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6000 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE +3 more
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,624

This is an offering by Kenko smaller and lighter than most Mirrors only 67 mm Filter thread but is manual and is packaged with adapter to NEX so it could be used with any SLR by changing adapter, As mirrors go you need good light and nailing Focus takes some practice and focus peaking balancing

http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-400mm-Mirror-T-Mount-E-Mount/dp/B008A2CEPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366683411&sr=8-1&keywords=kenko+400+f8+sony

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
bill hansen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,033

I got the LA-EA2. It's relatively expensive, but because of its multiple PDAF points it allows for focusing rapid enough to capture action shots, which is an important feature for me.

Others will certainly know of many good and excellent adapters. I'm no expert at all when it comes to NEX things. I'm an old hand at photography, but I'm brand new to the NEX system, learning it from the ground up. (I can tell you lots of things about Canon and its lenses though.  <G>)

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

baltimorecaesar Regular Member • Posts: 470

There is a Minolta 500mm f/8 mirror lens with AF that you can pick up in the $150-200 range.  If you're OK with MF, check out the Canon FD 200mm f/2.8 and the Canon 2X converter.

baltimorecaesar's gear list:baltimorecaesar's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Pal2012 Regular Member • Posts: 368

Been using the Sigma 120-400 as it has OS and has very good quality per cost compared to G lens (that doesn't have OS).

Using it with the L2 to get the PD AF that works really well.

Crop

Pal2012's gear list:Pal2012's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM +4 more
Carlgo Contributing Member • Posts: 532

I hope Sony, or someone, introduces a modern mirror lens for the Nex. Could have some sort of anti-shake technology and perhaps software can deal with the doughnuts. Some posters here have shown that good technique can make even old mirror lenses useful.

capt bob
Inexpensive Tamron SP 500 8.0

You can pick one of these in excellent condition for about 150 $ , The Minolta AF will run you about 500 $  those have gone way up in price but both will work on a Full frame NEX in the future, As seen you can control the Bokah but the Tamron is more evident of the do nut effect than the Minolta that is almost non existent but with the minolta you need the LA 1 OR LA2 Sony adapter , I have yet to try the little Kenko I pointed out eariler having the Tam that is really not much larger and a good performer did not pursue it.

Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
capt bob
Re: Inexpensive Tamron SP 500 8.0

Forgot to add the Tamron 500 is a pretty good Macro performer

capt bob wrote:

You can pick one of these in excellent condition for about 150 $ , The Minolta AF will run you about 500 $  those have gone way up in price but both will work on a Full frame NEX in the future, As seen you can control the Bokah but the Tamron is more evident of the do nut effect than the Minolta that is almost non existent but with the minolta you need the LA 1 OR LA2 Sony adapter , I have yet to try the little Kenko I pointed out eariler having the Tam that is really not much larger and a good performer did not pursue it.

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,554
re: about 150-500 & 120-400 Sigmas

at the time of these two zooms release few years back I had pretty high hopes for the larger one - for a pretty trivial reason: it is all in BLACK which is enough to sway be from the 100-400L, a  zabra-colored attention grabber :).

Alas, the IQ wasn't up to snuff )and the little cousin 120-400 didn't fare much better either), here from the review of the 150-500:

"Plain and simple, at 500mm the Sigma just doesn't give the image quality I had hoped for, ond that a Canon "L" series lens routinely delivers. Considering that you can even interpolate a Canon 400mm image up to an equivalent size as one taken with a the Sigma at 500mm and have as good or better image quality than that produced by the Sigma, even the Sigma's selling point of giving you an additional 100mm focal length quickly falls aside. The only thing that the Sigma did better, and only marginally, was in image stabilization, but that was counteracted by an annoying metallic whine.

If it sounds like I'm coming down hard on Sigma, I guess I am. Like many out there, I was hoping this lens would be on par with the Canon 100-400. I've been looking hard for a hand-holdable 500mm lens (are you listening Canon????), and I don't need an F4 aperture. Sigma had the chance to make a lens that would give Canon a run for their money. Instead, they delivered a lens that, while in many respects is quite nice, fails where it really counts -- image quality at 500mm. Sure, it is cheaper than the Canon, so what did I expect? Well, yes, it is cheaper, but not by much. If, by improving image quality, Sigma needed to sell it for about the same price as the Canon 100-400, they should have done so. They'd still have sold a ton, and they would have given the consumer a product that competes with Canon.

But until they adopt that philosophy, I have one word of advice for those of you who are considering purchasing this lens in a Canon mount -- pay the extra bucks and get the Canon 100-400. It is a much better lens".

jpr2

capt bob

I did not know the Nex Body supports HSM is it because of the LA 2 Adapter ?  Is that just for 7

or does it OS on all Nexes with Adapter ?

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,554
re: HSM is just Sigma-speak for USM type of focuing motors...

capt bob wrote:

I did not know the Nex Body supports HSM is it because of the LA 2 Adapter ?  Is that just for 7

or does it OS on all Nexes with Adapter ?

and a Sigi lens with HSM doesn't necessarily mean that particular lens has stabilization:)

jpr2

kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

GaryR60 wrote:

I have the 55-210mm and it's a great addition to my 5N, but I'm wondering if Sony might have any plans to introduce a mirror telephoto lens in the neighborhood of a 400-600mm focl length. That would be great.  

Gary

For the NEX system, I don't see Sony ever introducing a 400-600mm lens. It would be WAY to big for an NEX system camera, and defeats the purpose of its compact/small camera market.

If I were to guess, the next telephoto lens Sony comes out with for the NEX system cameras would be a 70-300.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 9,617

kcamacho11 wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

Gary

For the NEX system, I don't see Sony ever introducing a 400-600mm lens. It would be WAY to big for an NEX system camera, and defeats the purpose of its compact/small camera market.

Given how large telephoto lenses get, there doesn't seem to me a lot of advantage of having a native Nex lens.  Just get one of the adapters and an A-mount lens.  Lots to choose from....

If I were to guess, the next telephoto lens Sony comes out with for the NEX system cameras would be a 70-300.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 +10 more
kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

GaryW wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

GaryR60 wrote:

Gary

Given how large telephoto lenses get, there doesn't seem to me a lot of advantage of having a native Nex lens.  Just get one of the adapters and an A-mount lens.  Lots to choose from....

Agreed, but I would be certain that an NEX E-mount 70-300 lens would still be significantly smaller and lighter than a Nikon/Canon/Sony 70-300.

Just look at the 55-210, it is small and light as a feather.

Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

GaryW wrote:

Most of the A mount lenses do not have image stabilization which is important at longer focal lengths.  The Sigmas with stabilization tend to be weak optically at the longer focal lengths.  If I bought a 120-400mm zoom it would be for the 400mm side of the range.

What I would really like is a 300-350mm prime that was optically good but emphasized light weight over speed.  If the lens weighed less than 2 pounds I could easily live with f5.6 as long as it was actually sharp enough at f5.6 to be used there.  But the market for such a lens would be too small for anyone to make it.

I agree that the most likely lens would be some sort of xx-300mm zoom.  The Panasonic 100-300 and Nikon has a 55-300mm for their APS-C SLRs both weigh about 18 ounces and have image stabilization.  These seem pretty popular and I would think some company could make money selling a similar lens for NEX.  I would prefer a slightly heavier lens with better image quality but unless it looks like total junk I would order any 300mm lens in E mount as soon as it was available.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads