Photos from NEX6 and Sel35f18 too dark and saturated?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions
rodderslw Regular Member • Posts: 486
Photos from NEX6 and Sel35f18 too dark and saturated?

Hi Ive had the NEX6 and Sel35f18 for 1 week and am finding the raw shots underexposed and the colours a bit too saturated. Has anyone had this? It's not a huge problem. These things I can fix in camera or in Lightroom just wondering if others think these are too dark. Photos attached are from RAW and processed in LR with no other adjustments.

One last question. Is there a lens profile for the SEL35f18 in Light Room?

Wide open at f1.8

The reds here seem too punchy?

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +4 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 8,955
Re: Photos from NEX6 and Sel35f18 too dark and saturated?

I don't think a valid opinion is possible, on the basis of these two images. The lighting of both of these is only partial, and it's dim. Before making a decision about what to do, try some shots of evenly lit subjects, where the lighting is somewhat more adequate. Certainly the lens is capable of superb quality.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

The colours look fine to me.

You probably need to manually adjust the metering/exposure for these kind of shots, especially the first shot where you have a bright object against a dark background.

Shadows can be lifted in PP and colours muted too if you so desire.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
jk2l Regular Member • Posts: 183

are you using spot metering? the center spot for both seem to be correctly exposed. in fact i think both of those images are right at where they should be and it seem to look better than increase exposure on those two

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,857

You asked/said : "... the raw shots underexposed and the colours a bit too saturated .... wondering if others think these are too dark"

This is not a camera specific problem. It is the photog's  decision dilemma: the light is muted, nothing is bright, nothing (almost) is true black. Now you as the creator of these images need to decide what the images should look like. Dull as they are or spiffed up, or in between.

These are not very photogenic scenes, you know. Bu they are intriguing anyway in their ambivalence.

And if you like these simple domestic scenes -a as I do, too - you have to create your perception and look of these yourself.  DON'T even think the camera or out of camera jpegs can do this for you. Any camera. film, sensor will go amiss of your intentions.

NO WAY. So: Good luck finding your style here and elsewhere. Keep at it and experiment, print out a few images, calibrate your monitor, look for those red ringed socks and a day with light as when you took the pic, what do the red rings look like on those chairs (only in case you want to get true to the natural subject look, of course) In Lightroom you can change their cold to green if you like , you know how to do that ... .

Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,291

People often jump to early conclusions when first testing cameras straight out of the box. I used to call this the Christmas present testing syndrome  

When exposure issues seem to arise then different exposure modes need to be tested together with adjustment to exposure compensation to take into account the balance between contrast in the image frame.

PS - these photos don't look too bad on my screen !

-- hide signature --

Keith C

OP rodderslw Regular Member • Posts: 486

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will keep playing with the settings etc. I just looked at the same pics on my computer at work and it does look lighter. And yes I need to get out and take some more interesting pics instead of walking around the house at night. I think I will rug up and go do some hand held night shots on the streets this week to test the SEL35f18.

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads