Disappointed Nikon D7100 Made in Thailand

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
RickMiller Junior Member • Posts: 47
Disappointed Nikon D7100 Made in Thailand

I brought a Nikon D7100 from Amazon, it’s Made in Thailand. Does anyone have made in Japan D7100 or all D7100 made in Thailand

RickMiller's gear list:RickMiller's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
skytag New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Disappointed Nikon D7100 Made in Thailand

I can't imagine that they'd have two different factories making the same country. That wouldn't really make any sense. I think it's safe to assume they're all made in Thailand. As long as it meets your expectations I wouldn't worry about it. Just have fun using it.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,514
How could you tell it was disappointed?

keine Worte

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
david01234 Regular Member • Posts: 100

IIRC, all entry and mid-level bodies of Nikon are made outside of Japan.

Not sure about the latest offerings, but all Canon DSLR bodies are made in Japan

david01234's gear list:david01234's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

I really don't see the problem. No matter where Nikon gear is made, it will still have to comply to Nikon's quality standards. Why would you assume a camera made in Thailand would be inferior to one made in Japan?

-- hide signature --

/'We are only immortal for a limited time'/

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Nikon D700 +6 more
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770

RickMiller wrote:

I brought a Nikon D7100 from Amazon, it’s Made in Thailand. Does anyone have made in Japan D7100 or all D7100 made in Thailand

Why bother with which place it was assembled in?

If you want a Japanese assembled camera body you will have to buy a pro body.

Personally all I care about it how well it works.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
all_digital Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Why are you disappointed?

-- hide signature --

Art

OP RickMiller Junior Member • Posts: 47

I may be old school thinking and I believe if it’s a Mercedes, it has to be Made in Germany Left Had Drive. Watch Made in Switzerland, ect… I guess I have to live with NIKON “ Made in Thailand “ . but I was reading articles it’s made in Japan, but the reality it’s not.

Gary Fischman Regular Member • Posts: 202
What if...

I've never seen anything on the Nikon web site that indicates country of origin. But lets say it did. What if they said "All Nikon cameras are made in Thailand". Would you have bought another brand?

Just wondering.

-- hide signature --
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,380

RickMiller wrote:

Seriously?  Nikon's quality standards are the same whether it's made in Thailand or elsewhere.  I don't know much about Nikon production, but I suspect they only have 1 production line.

Is it not working correctly?  If there's a problem with it that's what the warranty is for.  If it's working then use it and be happy.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,380

RickMiller wrote:

I may be old school thinking and I believe if it’s a Mercedes, it has to be Made in Germany Left Had Drive.

Here's some updated info about Mercedes production.  There are plants in 22 countries even if the main production line is still in Germany.

Watch Made in Switzerland, ect… I guess I have to live with NIKON “ Made in Thailand “ . but I was reading articles it’s made in Japan, but the reality it’s not.

What exactly is the problem?

Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,333

RickMiller wrote:

Both the D7100 and the D600 are made in Thailand. As far as I know, there are no issues with the D7100. Isn't that your concern? Everything I've read about your camera is very positive (except Tom Hogan, who calls the D7100 a rehash with a few tweaks). The fact that it was made in Thailand should make no difference. Go out and shoot. Enjoy your new toy.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +23 more
steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
I'll say it

Frankly this sort of question is racist. Why even ask it?

Are people in some countries inferior to those from other countries? Are they inherently less skilled? No and no! What matters is the quality control standards and engineering design excellence not the country of origin.

I am old enough to remember the approbation heaped on Japan when Made in Japan was used as a badge of mediocrity. It is ironic and disgusting to hear the same attitudes being expressed about other neighbouring countries.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Re: How could you tell it was disappointed?
henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 6,337

In the February, 2000 issue, Popular Photography's Herbert Keppler wrote, "...the Japanese have maintained near-fanatical tight control over their 'offshore' production facilities and it's worked." He further wrote, "Having visited many Japanese factories ...as well as off-shore plants, I can report that quality is uniform no matter where the products are made."The last words? Buy the brand and model that suits your priorities, that fits your budget, that includes the features you need or want and leave the choice of where it's been put together to the people you've already decided to trust -- the designers and managers of the company producing the model you're after. Then go out and enjoy using it."

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341
Re: I'll say it

OK, I will suggest you are a little too quick on the draw.

I am aware of the car industry, I am involved in it.

When VW made all of their cars in Europe, they were known for decent quality.

When they opened plants in Mexico, they were known for poor quality. It wasn't because Mexicans are inferior. It was because in trying to save money, they tried to do the whole thing less expenively than in Europe, including getting local supplier for some of the parts. There were also questions about whether the training and quality control were the same as European plants.

This isn't to say it can't be done. Toyota and Honda's Canadian plants rank well up there with their Japanese counterparts.

As for the original post, I have a 16-85 made in Thailand and have no issues or concerns. I would worry more about individual plants than the country of origin.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more

Mark B. said Mercedes has 22 plants yes that’s my point, FYI Mercedes only ships Made in Germany cars to USA. ( 10 years back few cars came from Mexico plant but they stop)  steephill said this question is racist, I did not mean that way.

And finally JamesRL knows what I'm talking.

Why we attached to a brand? It contain so many elements. Well, will see how it goes. I can tell you in 2-3 months.

MarkInSF Senior Member • Posts: 2,237

RickMiller wrote:

I may be old school thinking and I believe if it’s a Mercedes, it has to be Made in Germany Left Had Drive. Watch Made in Switzerland, ect… I guess I have to live with NIKON “ Made in Thailand “ . but I was reading articles it’s made in Japan, but the reality it’s not.

Hasn't been true in a long time, for Mercedes or Nikon.   It's smart to spread your manufacturing around the world, especially if you can save on labor.   Having everything made in one country puts companies at the mercy of exchange rates, and having multiple sources evens out costs.

Best I know, there are a lot of very nice people in Thailand who need jobs and do those jobs very well.   The camera companies have built plants there because they know they'll get excellent workmanship.   Those plants are very modern facilities, not sweatshops.

Alleg1 Contributing Member • Posts: 921
Re: I'll say it

steephill wrote:

Frankly this sort of question is racist. Why even ask it?

Are people in some countries inferior to those from other countries? Are they inherently less skilled? No and no! What matters is the quality control standards and engineering design excellence not the country of origin.

I am old enough to remember the approbation heaped on Japan when Made in Japan was used as a badge of mediocrity. It is ironic and disgusting to hear the same attitudes being expressed about other neighbouring countries.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

Very true, I remember when Japanese manufactured items were considered second rate, now for some  people they are regarded as superior...

As you say, it's the standard of design and quality control that are the most important factors.

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Olympus E-510 Nikon D100 Nikon D300
Colweb Regular Member • Posts: 254

Every Nikon camera has parts in it that are made in China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and probably 60 other countries. Some models are just assembled in Thailand and others in Japan.

BTW, same goes for almost all electronics. Parts come from everywhere but are "made" in the country where they assemble the final product.

Oh, for all those you think that all Mercedes come from Germany, that's not true. Several models are only made in the US (not so long ago there was a documentary about it on Discovery Channel).

-- hide signature --

The only way forward is .... forward.
Save the Earth. We have nowhere else to go!

Colweb's gear list:Colweb's gear list
Sony Mavica CD300 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads