Looking for V600 Scanner Owners for Help

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
Beth12 New Member • Posts: 15
Looking for V600 Scanner Owners for Help

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can find someone with an Epson V600 scanner that can measure the transmissive aperture on the scanne, and if possible scan a marked piece of paper or translucent ruler crosswise to see the max. scan width.

My goal is to be able to scan some negatives (from the late 1800's) that have a width of 3" The length varies, but it's the width I'm concerned with on this scanner as it seems to accomodate the longest length of 5" I have.

Unfortunately I cannot find one locally to preview.

Any help is HUGELY appreciated.

Beth

JJ Winkel Senior Member • Posts: 1,387
Re: Looking for V600 Scanner Owners for Help

V600 TPU max scan area = 2.7" x 9.5"

==> Epson V600 specifications

If you want larger TPU scan area you need this ==> Epson V700

-- hide signature --

JJ.

OP Beth12 New Member • Posts: 15

Thanks. I am keenly aware that I need the 700 but also keenly aware that my wallet disagrees
Thanks for your help, I thought I might be able to squeeze by with the 600.

Jay Reeves Contributing Member • Posts: 743

Several years ago I scanned a 3x5 negative successfuly with a V500.  Then got distracted with work and have forgotten exactly what I did.   In general I scanned the negative twice and put the two halves together in PS.  Now one would expext to never be able to line the pixels up, but printed at modest size no one would be the wiser.  Now you have piqued my interest - I will try that again and see if I can duplicate my earlier effort.  Can't locate the result I got before.  Do have a piece of white mat board in my scanner supplies that I cut a 3x5 opening in - not sure if that was the answer or more likely put the negative in the narrower Epson negative holder with the one side of the neg lined up for one scan and then slid the negative so the opposite side was against the holder.

Agree with others that V700 is the ideal solution, but I can't justify the expense for my purposes.

Jay

Found it -

probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

You might want to consider an epson 4990 and with the money you save invest in the following things:

vue scan software (http://www.hamrick.com)

and a custom film holder (http://www.betterscanning.com)

Just an idea.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +3 more

Oops, just checked and the aspect ratio of this image does not match a 3x5.  So I guess the idea I described was something I tried that did not work.  Wish I had the negative.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Jay

probert500 wrote:

You might want to consider an epson 4990 and with the money you save invest in the following things:

vue scan software (http://www.hamrick.com)

and a custom film holder (http://www.betterscanning.com)

Just an idea.

I've looked at some of the older scanners but it seems as though everything I read from current users suggest that they aren't compatible with new macs, which is what I'm working on.
Many years ago I had a flatbed scanner that I was able to buy a large TMA for are you familiar with any scanners that have that kind of setup/upgrade ability? I've looked but found nothing so far.
If supposing I do find an older one to work is there a loss of quality compared to newer scanners?

Thanks so much for your help.

johnpeeay Regular Member • Posts: 155

check out ebay today, there is a Epson 4990 available in USA at $250

Michael McCarthy Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

I have a V600 and just scanned a translucent  ruler. Got a width of 2.75 inches. Not quite 3 inches. Sounds like the 4990 on ebay for $250 is the way to go.

Sorry

Oops missed that one, but there are a few others. Are you familiar with this scanner and it's functionality with a MAC by any chance?

johnpeeay Regular Member • Posts: 155

From what I have read the Epson 4990 is a very capable scanner, I ended up buying a secondhand Epson V750 when I was searching for a scanner and have been using it on my Mac to scan thousands of 35mm negatives. No problems with the V750 running Mac Mountain Lion OSX. Either of the Epson 4870 or 4990 scanners will give excellent scans of your negatives and there is also the option of using Vuescan software if the Epson drivers are not supported in Mountain Lion if that is your Mac operating system.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads