Canon 6D white curtain phenomenon

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
Steebee Junior Member • Posts: 27
Canon 6D white curtain phenomenon

I have the problem with the white curtain. First only on some images, now more and more. I read this first in a forum, and now i got it too! Check your pictures, first I thought it was only light or other camera flashes, then I guess it sit a defective of the shutter. what do you think?

samples:

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike clemens Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Canon 6D white curtain phenomenon

Someone elses flash is going off when you are shooting high shutter speeds where the shutter is only a moving slit and is never fully open.

brian1366 Contributing Member • Posts: 514

mike clemens wrote:

Someone elses flash is going off when you are shooting high shutter speeds where the shutter is only a moving slit and is never fully open.

+1

brian1366's gear list:brian1366's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
OP Steebee Junior Member • Posts: 27

Never! Nobody elese do pictures. I´m the only with the canon. No Flashlight and no Stagelight disturb the pictures. On the second location it´s always too dark, there not a single white light on stage...

MASTERPPA Contributing Member • Posts: 867

So, no one else, had any other camera, taking any pictures of any kind with a flash. It does not only need to be a canon.

It looks JUST like when I shoot and someone elses flash goes off.

Steebee wrote:

Never! Nobody elese do pictures. I´m the only with the canon. No Flashlight and no Stagelight disturb the pictures. On the second location it´s always too dark, there not a single white light on stage...

bigdaddave Senior Member • Posts: 1,163

mike clemens wrote:

Wrong.

It's the start of a failing shutter

MASTERPPA Contributing Member • Posts: 867

I am 99% sure it is NOT a stuck shutter.. That it IS someone else's flash.  Why, on the last image, if the shutter stayed open long enough to expose that person, he would be BLURRY. But he is not. He is sharp, which means the exposure was fast, and 1/500 looks about right.

Steebee wrote:

I have the problem with the white curtain. First only on some images, now more and more. I read this first in a forum, and now i got it too! Check your pictures, first I thought it was only light or other camera flashes, then I guess it sit a defective of the shutter. what do you think?

samples:

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,322
Wrong

bigdaddave wrote:

mike clemens wrote:

Wrong.

Are you sure?

It's the start of a failing shutter

It doesn't look like that. The shutter curtains appear to move like they should. I bets in normal light with similar exposure times the over exposed band does not appear.

steebee can easily test this.

MASTERPPA wrote:

I am 99% sure it is NOT a stuck shutter.. That it IS someone else's flash.  Why, on the last image, if the shutter stayed open long enough to expose that person, he would be BLURRY. But he is not. He is sharp, which means the exposure was fast, and 1/500 looks about right.

It is easily tested. He just has to shoot in normal daylight conditions at similar exposure times (no flash use). If the same over exposure happens when she shoots 1/500/th, 1/800/th ot 1/1000th sec, the camera is at fault.

If things look like they should, he can be sure he is seeing short flash strobes in his images.

OP Steebee Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: steebee can easily test this.

The last images was made in a very small location and i am the ONLY person with a camera. No one else there shoot pics. On stage are no white lamps, or strobes or flashes. I make 4 pics in a row and you see the white line wandering through the image. I post it in a pro forum in germany (http://www.dforum.de/home/) and many guys there say, its a shutter-lag issue. so i send the camera back to the seller. Thank You!

Steebee wrote:

The last images was made in a very small location and i am the ONLY person with a camera. No one else there shoot pics. On stage are no white lamps, or strobes or flashes. I make 4 pics in a row and you see the white line wandering through the image. I post it in a pro forum in germany (http://www.dforum.de/home/) and many guys there say, its a shutter-lag issue. so i send the camera back to the seller. Thank You!

Perhaps you would be good enough to mark my post as the solution. Good luck with the repair

billythek Veteran Member • Posts: 5,260

Steebee wrote:

No need to sarcastically "thank" anyone.  If you really want to prove your point, just take some test shots away from a club with the same settings - like in your house, or outdoors, etc.

No need to start any more threads about this, either.

Thank You, too!  Have a nice day, etc.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

billythek's gear list:billythek's gear list
DxO One Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

bigdaddave wrote:

Steebee wrote:

Perhaps you would be good enough to mark my post as the solution.

But it is most probably not the solution.

Good luck with the repair

He says he will send it back, no talk about a repair (which probably is not needed).

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,746
Why not shutter

Steebee wrote:

samples:

Look at the shadow on the back of his jacket. The secondary flash or light source is coming from your right and causing the mike stand, or such, to project the shadow. You can confirm by shooting at same shutter speeds in daylight as others suggest.

If you look at the other pics, there is a similar effect where the subject is lit from the opposite side in the overexposed section vs the normal section. That points to a light issue at those shutter speeds and not a shutter malfunction. May be a strobe in the room

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Why not shutter

Mako2011 wrote:

Steebee wrote:

samples:

Look at the shadow on the back of his jacket. The secondary flash or light source is coming from your right and causing the mike stand, or such, to project the shadow. You can confirm by shooting at same shutter speeds in daylight as others suggest.

If you look at the other pics, there is a similar effect where the subject is lit from the opposite side in the overexposed section vs the normal section. That points to a light issue at those shutter speeds and not a shutter malfunction. May be a strobe in the room

Yep - my assessment too.

I guess the OP should know best what was happening in the room. But those images look much more like what you and others have described than a "shutter lag" issue.

Thing is, all the OP has to do, as suggested by others here, is to shoot some more shots at those settings and see how they turn out. If the shutter has an issue, then the images will show it. If not, then the lighting is to blame.

No need to send the camera away just yet - just do some more shots at the same settings in a different environment. The results will tell the story.

Perhaps the OP will post some more showing the problem outside in normal light? (I doubt it )

Re: Why not shutter

Mako2011 wrote:

Steebee wrote:

samples:

Look at the shadow on the back of his jacket.

Hehe, you are right. The obvious is staring us right in the face, there. The slit obviously is from the high shutter speeds (he beens to go down to 1/200th sec max), and you clearly found the evidence of the flash from another camera.

The secondary flash or light source is coming from your right and causing the mike stand, or such, to project the shadow. You can confirm by shooting at same shutter speeds in daylight as others suggest.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Me too

schmegg wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Steebee wrote:

samples:

Yep - my assessment too.

I guess the OP should know best what was happening in the room. But those images look much more like what you and others have described than a "shutter lag" issue.

Thing is, all the OP has to do, as suggested by others here, is to shoot some more shots at those settings and see how they turn out. If the shutter has an issue, then the images will show it. If not, then the lighting is to blame.

No need to send the camera away just yet - just do some more shots at the same settings in a different environment. The results will tell the story.

Perhaps the OP will post some more showing the problem outside in normal light? (I doubt it )

I somehow doubt he will post 1/500th / 1/800th / 1/1000th exposure time samples from daylight outdoors too.

Your problem is the exposure times you use.

Steebee wrote:

The last images was made in a very small location and i am the ONLY person with a camera. No one else there shoot pics. On stage are no white lamps, or strobes or flashes. I make 4 pics in a row and you see the white line wandering through the image. I post it in a pro forum in germany (http://www.dforum.de/home/) and many guys there say, its a shutter-lag issue.

They are wrong (and apparently do not know what shutter lag means, or you translated it in an odd way). Your problem is the short exposure times you are using. Any other sample of 6D or other DSLR will give you the same problems.

The DSLRs will only have a small slit of the sensor exposed at one time with the exposure times you are using, and then any short flash/strobe will partially over expose just a slit like you are seeing. The strobe is so short that maybe you did not notice it while you were photographing.

Just do two things: Go outside now and set the camera to the same exposure times. You will not get a light band on these photos. This tells you the shutter assembly is fine, and it tells you that no short ultra bright flashes of light are outside your home.

The 2nd thing to do: at venues like those, keep your shutter speed at around the max. sync speed of the camera flash. This will ensure that no other light flashes will make your images has a lighter band across them. Of course, it will not prevent other flashes to over expose some of your images.

so i send the camera back to the seller. Thank You!

Will not help you, any other DSLR will give you the same "issue".

Sorry but nonsense

That is NOT the flash from another camera, no way no how.

Do you know the chances of another flash going off in the same 1/500th of a second? Infinitessimal. You could try for years and not have that happen once.

It is the begginnings of shutter failure, no doubt about it, you are being fooled by the fact the area is much more exposed than the surroundings.

mike clemens Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Sorry but nonsense

bigdaddave wrote:

That is NOT the flash from another camera, no way no how.

Do you know the chances of another flash going off in the same 1/500th of a second? Infinitessimal. You could try for years and not have that happen once.

It is the begginnings of shutter failure, no doubt about it, you are being fooled by the fact the area is much more exposed than the surroundings.

This is SO another flash.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads