Spam Mail What do you do?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
Jim
Jim Regular Member • Posts: 179
Another Mailwasher User...Re: Spam Mail What do you do?

FWIW, I've used and continue to use Mailwasher Pro v6.5.3 since Mar of 2002 ($20 for lifetime license)...happily w MW I might mention.  It "skips a beat" occasionally  but it's usually due to a malformed filter that hides and deletes automatically.

I chose not to upgrade to the subscription model when they changed the lifetime license a few years ago, since it would involve reconfiguring all the custom filters I've built.  Firetrust does not offer a filter conversion routine.

So life is still good with Windows Live Mail using old MW Pro v6.5.3.

Jim's gear list:Jim's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G15 +7 more
Hosebag
Hosebag Senior Member • Posts: 2,390
Re: Spam Mail What do you do?

I use mailwasher, it lets me see the mail out there on the server before I download it to my computer.

I just mark the ones I want for delete, or process, and hit "process mail".

Only the ones I want come to my system.

digitalshooter
OP digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Thanks everyone (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,953
Delete, delete, delete...

I don't use any mail filter as none I've tried is 100% effective - they all filtered out some mail I wanted.

But it's easy to see spam in the inbox.  And one keystroke to delete.  It's the useful mail - the stuff that isn't spam - that takes time to deal with.

Spam is a nuisance, but hardly takes me any time to delete manually.  Maybe other people get much more than I do.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
TonyGamble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029
Re: Delete, delete, delete...

Ditto to Simon,

I have several mail readers. I use nPopW to scan all my mailboxes every five minutes. I then delete anything I can see is junk. I use VirtualAccess as my full time email reader/writer and I get it to call up my mailboxes when I want to have a read/write session.

It takes seconds to remove the rubbish with nPopW and if I am away on holiday I do the same pruning with my Android reader(s).

Most of my mail is via Compuserve. I have seen cases where it delivers me an email and then, within an hour, moves it into the spam folder. I cannot work out why and it is annoying.

So, like Simon, I'd rather avoid any automated system and do my own culling.

Tony

scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Spam Mail What do you do?

Gmail is darn good at filtering spam.   If something undesirable does hit my inbox, I will hit 'Report Spam' button.

gs85739az
gs85739az Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: OK I guess I should have asked a different way

Reporting spam is about as effective as reporting to do not call list for telephone spam!

hint: don't answer either!

Bouldergramp
Bouldergramp Regular Member • Posts: 438
Re: And Another Mailwasher User...Re: Spam Mail What do you do?

I have used Mailwasher since it was shareware and contributed to the developer, in NZ it think it was, thereby getting lifetime use.  It should be on every computer sold.

-- hide signature --

Bouldergramp

Bouldergramp's gear list:Bouldergramp's gear list
Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 +2 more
John W Hall Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: Canada shows The Way

gs85739az wrote:

Reporting spam is about as effective as reporting to do not call list for telephone spam!

hint: don't answer either!

here in the Great White North our CRTC org told us how the upcoming Do Not Call list would greatly reduce annoyance calls. Then invited us to sign up for DNC.

When they had amassed a significant crop, including myself, they sold the list to the robo-calling outfits. They probably had some fine print about not using the DNC list to originate calls, but who has time to read the fine print?

Fortunately my Panasonic phone has a neat Call Blocking feature - when a call arrives the phone looks to see if the calling number is in the Block list, which I manage. If so it sends a busy tone. Not perfect but it does blow many calls away.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Re: OK I guess I should have asked a different way

gs85739az wrote:

I disagree -- it's a lot less effective.

The FCC and some states have closed down or curtailed quite a few boiler rooms based on citizen complaints.

There's been a lot less enforcement against spammers, in part because so many are operating across national borders creating huge jurisdictional challenges.

digitalshooter
OP digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
Just the opposite for me, I feel like the maytag man after using

-Do not call.

-
Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads