Speedlite (flash) for D7000

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Questions
Gordon Rufh Junior Member • Posts: 27
Speedlite (flash) for D7000

I am new to studio flash. I want to start shooting portraits with my D7000. First of all do I need to buy a Nikon Flash? I understand I can get away with one or two flashes? Do third party flashes lit Yongnuo fire off camera from a D7000. I have very little knowledge on this. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Much approached.

Gord

Gordon Rufh's gear list:Gordon Rufh's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 10,053
Re: Speedlite (flash) for D7000

Gordon Rufh wrote:

I am new to studio flash. I want to start shooting portraits with my D7000. First of all do I need to buy a Nikon Flash? I understand I can get away with one or two flashes? Do third party flashes lit Yongnuo fire off camera from a D7000. I have very little knowledge on this. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Much approached.

Gord

Well, I'm not portrait photographer but I do like flash and think I know how to use it. I have a lot of flashguns, only one of which is the expensive Nikon SBX000 series. So, no, the flash does not have to be Nikon although you must be careful that the voltage presented at the foot of the flashgun is below 200v if you mount it on the camera directly.

I think 2 flashguns can be enough to get started with portraits but there are two specific forums here for lighting and for portraiture where you could also ask your questions.

Here is a picture of 5 of my (quite cheap) flashguns all going off at the same time:

Settings column is how I set each gun up at the time. CLS can take care of all that - if you have money!

David

Mr Physics
Mr Physics Contributing Member • Posts: 716

I completely agree with the previous poster (David) because I took to heart a post of his from 2 years ago (or more): Real men don't need i-TTL, they use manual flashguns. I understand artificial lighting much better today because I took that statement to heart. It's more productive and MUCH more inexpensive to do manual flash than it is to master Nikon's CLS/i-TTL system of flash. It certainly is more straight forward to push the buttons of Yongnuo's manual YN560 than to try to adjust the SB-600 to adapt to different situations.

It isn't difficult to teach yourself the fundamentals of artificial lighting with a manual flashgun. In your "studio" setting, start with a single flashgun on a stand. Then get an umbrella. Cowboy Studios has many inexpensive rigs to teach yourself with.

Best regards,

Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Billy Lee Regular Member • Posts: 244

I've been using a Nikon SB-600 (GN30) with my D7000 very comfortably, off camera in Nikon CLS mode. I'd like to add additional flashes in CLS mode, but don't want to spend Nikon prices. I'm currently looking at a Nissin ND866MKII-N Di866 Mark II Speedlight, which has a guide number of 60, with a built in front fill flash with a GN of 12. Very attractive feature for bounce lighting. Available for $337 on Amazon, with 2 year warranty.

-- hide signature --

BillyL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads