How to set picture shape ?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
oxon1 Regular Member • Posts: 322
How to set picture shape ?

My old Powershot Canon A 720IS prodoce like square photo but ..

But SX220 gives kind of oblong shape .... How can I set this SX220 to take sqaure photo?

filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,615
Re: How to set picture shape ?

Ah! Well you see......Even the buildings were leaning.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

OP oxon1 Regular Member • Posts: 322

I still didn't get it, how can I set it on camera to get square pic ?

canuck dave
canuck dave Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Read the camera manual and/or buy a book on photography!

Ron Somerville Forum Member • Posts: 65

Go here for the manual:

Manual pdf

Page 86

Thank you Ron Somerville sir., For me this SX220 is big jump from Powershot 590 and Powershot 720 . These two old cameras served me well and here is my work from these two old horses.

http://www.paffalcons.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1811&sid=23b8fd93d833d063ce1af1f3b5f9b7f8

filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,615

Hi Oxon. It seems my first reply with image attached was a bit flippant, for which I apologise. Part however is down to your grammatical description of the problem. The Tesco vehicle’s predominant shape is rectangular rather than square. The second vehicle us very much square rather than your unfortunate description – oblong, so at first I wasn’t quite clear in my mind what you were actually referring to and made a correction to horizontal/vertical alignment in software. Is that what you meant, and did my modification make things right?  Should that be the case, then the best assistance in my opinion is to switch on the grid overlay in your viewfinder or LCD to assist in composition by getting horizontals and verticals correctly aligned.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

The point I noticed that Tesco van photo was in square but old post office telephone van photo was choped off from top and bottom and it was not square like Tesco van.

Wibbler1 Junior Member • Posts: 32

I think you mean the aspect ratio of the picture, the first is a 4x4 image, the second is 16x9.

(or thereabouts)

I don't have either of the two camera models mentioned, but my 60D allows you to change the aspect ratio of the photo you take in the settings menu.

hifly Contributing Member • Posts: 713

The first is 4:3 the second 16:9. I am more inclined to crop when post-processing. Otherwise there will be an in camera setting choice (i.e. pre-crop).

I will have a go tonight to set this ratio , i need to set SX220 like Powershot 720IS. Other thing I noticed that on P mode , picture is more sharp and clear than Auto.

Wibbler1 Junior Member • Posts: 32

hifly wrote:

The first is 4:3 the second 16:9. I am more inclined to crop when post-processing. Otherwise there will be an in camera setting choice (i.e. pre-crop).

he said square, so I assumed it was 4x4

hifly Contributing Member • Posts: 713

I think he implied squarer.

mfait Contributing Member • Posts: 669

Looks like the first one was shot from higher elevation, than the second, relative to the trucks.  Also in the second you are closer to the truck which will also change the perspective.

I'm sure if you take the a shot of a truck using both cameras from the same point, the perspective will be the same.

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
Steve Darl New Member • Posts: 1

Press FUNC:SET button (in P mode), rotate wheel and scroll down to the aspect ratio, which will be either 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 or 1:1.  Set it on 1:1 and you have square format.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads