LR5: No mention of catalog on network

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 6,814
LR5: No mention of catalog on network

The one thing I loathe about LR is that you must store your catalog on a local hard drive. All of my images are on a network drive, and I want the working version of my catalog there, too. So far, no mention whether a network-centric catalog will be supported in LR5.

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +2 more
Matt Senior Member • Posts: 2,387
consider speed may be an issue ....
1

I have my catalog on an SSD. Putting the catalog on a network may slow it down

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 400D
Sigma 24-70 HF
Canon 50 f1.8

Jeff Schewe Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: LR5: No mention of catalog on network

DotCom Editor wrote:

So far, no mention whether a network-centric catalog will be supported in LR5.

Noe...catalogs still need to be run from a local disk–you can backup to NAS, just not from a catalog on NAS.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

DotCom Editor OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,814
Wow, quite the lurker!

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Noe...catalogs still need to be run from a local disk–you can backup to NAS, just not from a catalog on NAS.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

Hi Jeff,

Didn't expect to see you hanging out here. Good to cross paths with you. I'm still chuckling over the "make my image look like crap button," I first heard you rant about during the Epson Print Academy in Boston several years ago. That you managed to get a smile out of John Paul was quite an accomplishment.

Indeed, I back up to NAS -- I have four separate 12TB NAS units each running RAID 5 -- and each is a mirror of the others. And that's just the onsite backups. There's also off-site via WAN, USB drives rotated into my bank's safe-deposit box, and the cloud storage (not backup) service. One can't be too careful about protecting data, a lesson well-learned from my mainframe days.

-30-

 DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +2 more
Jeff Schewe Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Wow, quite the lurker!

DotCom Editor wrote:

Didn't expect to see you hanging out here. Good to cross paths with you. I'm still chuckling over the "make my image look like crap button," I first heard you rant about during the Epson Print Academy in Boston several years ago. That you managed to get a smile out of John Paul was quite an accomplishment.

Well, I kinda hang out and see what transpires on the first day or so of a LR public beta...and it's not really hard to make JP smile (even though he does tend towards the serious :~)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Schewe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads