Lens storage. How do you keep yours?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,553
Re: Lens storage. How do you keep yours?

dpyy wrote:

It's actually really surprising to see you have such a huge collection of lens but no interest in getting more/better bodies!

Such as ... ?

My reasoning is very simple, I have no interest in obtaining Leica bodies, nor do any of the Fuji bodies peak my interest so far, in part because I don't understand the X-trans benefits in terms of post-edit flows yet, and in part because I am not too fond of the X100/RX1/RX100 offerings as a concept either.

Besides, about half the lenses are E- and A-mount lenses, so these are stuck to Sony bodies anyways. (I may consider a small SLT body at some time, we'll see).

The other half are legacy and RF lenses, and they work great on the Nex bodies - albeit with the 1.5x crop factor - I am still keeping the Nex-7 for fun, even though I tend to grab the Nex-6 most often now (except for the E20, that is stuck on the 5N nowadays).

With legacy lenses, the Nex-7 is great, except for RF lenses. With (Sony) AF lenses, I like the Nex-6 the most.

The Nex-7N does not interest me (yet), but the SpeedBooster (if for MF lenses) and a FF Nex would.

It is really not such a huge collection. I already had the SLR lenses from way back. I added some fast, WA RF lenses as I started with the Nex-5. Then, when the LA-EA2 came out, I picked up this adapter and a few (surprisingly inexpensive) A-mount lenses. (They were useful). The rest was just snatching up E-mount lenses as they became available.

Some favorite configurations, depending on day/venue:

• Nex-7 with E24Z and E18200
  • Nex-6 with E35 and E1650P
  • Nex-5N with E20 (wo/ EVF)
  • Nex-5N with LA-EA2 and (any) A-mount lens (no need for EVF)
  • Nex-6 with RF lenses
  • Nex-7 with SLR lenses
  • E16+ECU1 on any Nex
  • EVF on Nex-5N in tilt mode (very different experience than Nex-6/7)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +36 more
sergerez Regular Member • Posts: 221

In addition to storage cases, shelves, etc. it is very important to take your lens out from time to time and apply direct light to it. Both caps away and aperture wide opened. Fungus can't tolerate light, so a few minutes are usually enough for killing it, even if it already started (but just started) to grow. Sunlight is the best, I usually take UV filters out too.

Regards,

Serge

ericdfw Forum Member • Posts: 60

I see on Lowes' website that these have been discontinued.  They were made by Allen & Roth, and actually  are several different sized organizers stacked together.

ericdfw's gear list:ericdfw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +40 more
dpyy Contributing Member • Posts: 905

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

It's actually really surprising to see you have such a huge collection of lens but no interest in getting more/better bodies!

Such as ... ?

Such as...uh...a SLT?

blue_skies

dpyy wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

Such as ... ?

Such as...uh...a SLT?

Lol, didn't I just state the same?  " ... (I may consider a small SLT body at some time, we'll see) ..."

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

Forget the lenses and cases - how much do your pack mule and sherpa cost you?

blue_skies wrote:

Rickj23 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Wow, this is something.  Do you actually use these lenses ... or just look at them from time to time.  I have 13 Nikkor lenses, some worth 2000-3000 USD, but I just store them in the Billingham canvas bags. And some of my lenses circumnavigated the globe several times.

I just use the Billingham superflex partitions to separate the lenses, or camera bodies. The camera gear is usually quite tuff, there is no need to be paranoid about it.

Get an old army surplus canvas bag, pad it with the bubble wrap and that is it.  If you want to improve on that, there are plenty of camera dedicated padded bags, with partitions held down by Velcro. The outfits like Manfrotto make the bags that sell for less than 50 USD and they are just as good as bags made by Tamrac, or Domke that cost 200  USD.

Thanks, I have several Pelican cases to store the lenses in, and no - they don't get out nearly as often as I had planned - mostly due to long days in the office, including weekend work. Maybe after the summer I'll get out a lot more.

Bag wise, I have been collecting these as well, it seems, never finding the perfect bag. the third pic shows some of my more favorite bags.

The Pelican cases allow me to have a 'permanent' location for each lens, so it is very easy to find them, or realize that one is missing, ie. placed in one of the camera bags.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Chris_Downunder Contributing Member • Posts: 611

I store mine in airtight plastic boxes with silica gel and a humidity card.

All the best,

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
blue_skies

Mel Snyder wrote:

Forget the lenses and cases - how much do your pack mule and sherpa cost you?

Quite a bunch more...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,124
What about heat?

Probably like a lot of people I've seen my share of older lenses with grease that traveled onto the diaphragm causing it to stick.  I have been told that this is sometimes caused, or contributed to, by exposure to high heat, which caused the lubricant to thin and move.

I'm wondering whether anyone takes steps to slow the rate of heat gain or otherwise liimit maximum exposure when traveling where lenses might be exposed to high temperatures, either normal ambient or inside a closed car?  I'm also wondering if newer lubricants may reduce risk on newer lenses but maybe this is offset by heat sensitivity of electronics in newer lenses.  Anyone know?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads