Why do people withdraw after challenge has finished?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
Petewill
Petewill Regular Member • Posts: 131
Why do people withdraw after challenge has finished?

Recently I entered the Wild Life challenge.  My entry did not do too well but that is a reflection of the voters' opinion.  After voting had finished I went through the entries and noticed that 6 entries that had all been in the bottom half had been withdrawn.  I can't see any point of withdrawing an entry after voting.  Is it because the entrant is ashamed that his entry did not do too well?  It makes me wonder.

-- hide signature --

Warm Regards
Pete Williamson
Bela Bela, South Africa

Petewill's gear list:Petewill's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Re: Why do people withdraw after challenge has finished?

There were several other threads opening that question, and as far as I remember, the reasons were various, including the one you have guessed. Seems like a lot of people assign too great a value to their image placements, forgetting that this did not in any way changed the image quality.

Which is yet another unknown, as "the beauty is in the eye of a beholder". It did made me wonder, though: how come someone's image was good enough to be entered in some challenge, and after a number of unknown people have cast their votes (out of their different reasons), it was suddenly not good enough for the author?

I guess it's one of those questions that will remain unanswered.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434
Rather than have people spend their time typing to this question (again)...

I've keyed in a search for you:

http://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=why+withdraw+challenge&forum=1044

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Slynky Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

Ooops, cross post.

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Deleted pending purge Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Slynky wrote:

Ooops, cross post.

I like it, crossed and in-line, both

-- hide signature --

Fil

Petewill
OP Petewill Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Rather than have people spend their time typing to this question (again)...

Thanks for help.  Should have thought of searching before posting.

-- hide signature --

Warm Regards
Pete Williamson
Bela Bela, South Africa

Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Erick L Senior Member • Posts: 1,185

I've removed full size images before, and I've thought of removing even smaller ones simply because I'd rather have people find my images on my site than DPR.

-- hide signature --

Erick - www.borealphoto.com

maxeythecat Regular Member • Posts: 325

I've never removed a photo at the end of the challenge no matter how low it placed...I figure that if I have the guts to submit a picture then I've got to be  big enough to take the critique even if it ended up coming in dead last. It may be a blow to the ego but it's also a learning experience that one should not take too personally.

maxeythecat's gear list:maxeythecat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +9 more
Petewill
OP Petewill Regular Member • Posts: 131

Exactly my view!

-- hide signature --

Warm Regards
Pete Williamson
Bela Bela, South Africa

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 568

maxeythecat wrote:

I've never removed a photo at the end of the challenge no matter how low it placed...I figure that if I have the guts to submit a picture then I've got to be  big enough to take the critique even if it ended up coming in dead last. It may be a blow to the ego but it's also a learning experience that one should not take too personally.

......voting or its result is not critique (constructive). Many are voters who do not have the guts to emit an intelligent critique.  Sorry, it is not the best of me. --
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads